Whistling at speed (40mph) - new weatherstrips or will re-aligning windows fix?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marlowe

Whistling at speed (40mph) - new weatherstrips or will re-aligning windows fix?

Post by Marlowe »

As title really. The car has always whistled from when I bought it, and it was only when a friend pointed out that this isn't the norm, together with recently trying to demist a car and it taking 20 mins due to condensation inside the front screen, that I thought I'd best see if others have have the issue, and if not, how they prevent it on older weatherstrips.

Obviously if I can I'd rather avoid new weatherstrips (they seem to be £110+ a side, even for a tin top). Would re-aligning the windows help at all? I remember faffing about for months after having my Gen 7 celica accident-repaired when they mucked up the window alignment, and can't recall it ever really working properly.
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
wilki

Re: Whistling at speed (40mph) - new weatherstrips or will re-aligning windows fix?

Post by wilki »

Have you tried messing with the tweeter covers?, the clips at the bottom of mine have broken so it can wiggle about so if its in the wrong position I get a whistle
Last edited by wilki on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Draven

Re: Whistling at speed (40mph) - new weatherstrips or will re-aligning windows fix?

Post by Draven »

It can be fixed with sticky back velcro..
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

I tried sealing up the hole under the tweeter cover from the mirror that I noticed mentioned a few times on here and also the 'other' OC's guides, using a bit of the 'stay wet' silicone matic & PTFE tape...no dice. I think a clip may be broken on the driver's tweeter cover though. It does seem to be from both doors though, and as far as I know, the passenger one is fine? :|

Harold

Post by Harold »

You need new wing mirror mounts or you can bodge it with Velcro, the rubber perishes around the window glass and lets in air. Does it get a lot louder when you drive faster?

Motorway driving was horrible, replaced both mounts and no more horrible rustling noise.

Also see here - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 70#1020370
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Harold wrote:You need new wing mirror mounts or you can bodge it with Velcro, the rubber perishes around the window glass and lets in air. Does it get a lot louder when you drive faster?

Motorway driving was horrible, replaced both mounts and no more horrible rustling noise.

Also see here - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 70#1020370
+1
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

I need to get round to fixing this - how much are new mirror mounts?
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Sorry hadn't seen the latest update - thanks very much for this - sounds exactly right.

Do I need to know the part number or will Mr T know the correct parts without mucking it up? :)

Harold

Post by Harold »

Just looked up from my service history:

67514-17020 Left hand bracket - £43.94
67513-17020 Right hand bracket - £43.94

There are three screws holding the wing mirror on which are threadlocked, you may need to heat them before they will come out, they can be very tight and are made of cheese. You'll need new screws also, or you can thread lock the olds ones yourself.

Screw - 90149-50051
Last edited by Harold on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Harold,

That's excellent - many thanks.

:thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”