subs/amp/speakers - HELP!! what do i need

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grant

subs/amp/speakers - HELP!! what do i need

Post by Grant »

HI everyone,
i am looking at getting some subs for behind the 2 seats, i can get the boxes custom made but i was speaking to people and they said i would need 2 amps one for the subs and one for the speakers...
then some component speakers in the front.

However would i need rear speakers aswell?? and tweeters? I am not really clued up on all this and really dont know what im looking for.. i see car audio security have good offers on at the mo.. anyone recommend a double 10/12" sub and amp set and component speakers and a additional amp that they are selling on the site?

What amp would i need also? 2channel 4 channel? etc..?

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/subcat ... kages.html

I just dont have a clue Please help... :?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: subs/amp/speakers - HELP!! what do i need

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Lots of people ditch the rear speakers in the 2, as they're not really needed IMO.

A set of components for the doors and tweeters, with crossovers, either one or two subs, 8", 10" or 12" would be ok, but the boxes must fit the car.

If you had just the components and sub (or pair of subs) a 4 channel amp would be fine.
Grant

Post by Grant »

i am getting some custom boxes made for behind drivers/passenger seats.
i was gonna go with 10/12" subs..

just dont really know what i am looking for if i had a list of lots of diffent makes/modles infront of me i just dont know what im looking for. what subs/amps/speakers do i go for??

what do crossovers do?

also do i need 2 amps (one for subs and 1 for speakers?)
mr2guy

ice

Post by mr2guy »

if you dont know what is best then id suggest you determine what kind of overall sound you want first and tailor your choice to that, ie
if you want really deep bass then 12" is the way to go, if you want crisp punchy bass then 10" is the way forward, as for front speakers you only need good quality components with tweeters, as mostly they dont require crossovers( as youre not mixing and matching) alpine do a good range(i can vouch for quality as i have them in my two), as for amps again it depends on overall sound, but if you have a head unit with good rating of say 4x40 or over then an amp isnt really neccessary for fronts no real benefit on components, but you will need to tailor the sub amp for your chosen sub/s, ie,
2 x 10" @ 300w rms = 2 channel amp at around 200w rms per channell
this is only a guide from my experiences and trail and error but should give you some idea of what to look for rather than telling you what i think would be best , as everyone likes different thinds, hope this helps, any questions just ask and i'l try and help, c u , jim :)
jrleech

Post by jrleech »

Hi Grant,

It all depends what you're after, and what your budget is.

If you're after sound quality (SQ), then a good set of 6.5" components (6.5 inch bit goes in the doors, tweeters go in the little triangle bits) and a 10" subwoofer driven by either a pair of 2 channel amps (bridge the second for the sub), or a 4 channel amp (again, bridge 3+4 for the sub) will do the job nicely.

If standing outside your car with enormous ear bleeding amounts of bass is your thing (Sound pressure level - SPL) (why!!! ](*,) ) then you'd be better with a couple of 12" subs and big amps to drive them.

Your box needs to be the right size for your sub, the manufacturer will give a recommended sealed or ported enclosure size and you need to get that volume to get the correct response from the system.

A worthwhile investment is soundproofing... a bit of a PITA to do, but cuts out that road/engine/exhaust noise (if you want to hear your exhaust, open the window :D )

I've gone for a SQ system, with a Becker Mexico Pro head unit, Becker CD changer, DLS A5 3 channel amp, Focal Utopia 165 components and an Aliante 10si sub. Not fitted it yet!!

This forum is very useful: http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/

Cheers,
Jon
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

I've got quite a lot of advice from talk audio forum.

They tend to rate the JBL GTO75.4 at the moment, which is £99 from www.caraudiodirect.co.uk

matched with a 10" JBL sub GTO1002D (£45 from same place) it should sound pretty good. With a sealed box, the 10" JBL needs 0.75 cu feet.

I'm going to mount this amp in the front trunk, and use 2 channels to drive existing Kappa infinity 6.5" components, and use the other 2 channels bridged to drive the 10" amp.

There was a sub design kicking round on here which I'm currently building - about 20" wide, 16.5" high and 7.75" deep at the bottom, 5" deep at the top, using .75" MDF (18mm).

This will fit ontop a cubby hole, and is around 0.7 - 0.8 cu feet.

hth

Ian
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

Hi Grant,
I know i'm adding to a list of many suggestions, but i am just about to start my third install in my mr2. This because they are not the easiest thing to do! I have designed a box for 10" subs, (some 12s may fit but i know they can have trouble due to depth) I did an install with just front compponents and subs and wasnt happy, all bass behind and all vocals infront of you! wasnt good, so i would reccomend a set of components behind you. Its pretty simple in my eyes when it comes down to wahts good, usually check the price!! i splashed out on an audison amp, well, i got it cheap but still, they are expensive new! and these are the best amp i have heard for quality, also alpine v12 range is good, and alpine type r speakers are good for your money, you mmust also think about amp location, check my profile for my current choice. - boot is risky as you pass your engine twice(too and from), i did this first and had to move because of distortion. I am now going to go for an install in the bonnet with dual battery! anyways - sub box diagrams at www.mr2.vze.com - sorry for pop ups, changing host soon! email me with any problems - cheers
Neil
Grant

Post by Grant »

from the link below
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... -deal.html

can you reccomend/see any good combinations of double 12"+amp that may be worth going for?
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

As i said always been a fan of the alpine type r, you may be best trying to find out dimensions and working out a design for the sub box unless you like uysing your steering wheel as a chin rest! Audiobahn are good too.
Grant

Post by Grant »

was thinking of the sub boxes that dan is selling at DC dezign. failing that a making a custom made box (of the same design) depending how much the other stuff costs me..

Return to “ICE and Security”