wheels and tyres

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

justdandy

wheels and tyres

Post by justdandy »

Hi there. I have a 91 mr2, gspecial. auto import. Standard wheels. Same tyre size on all 4... but I have some new wheels ready to put on, and the tyres at the back are wider. Is this right? How will this change handling?

Sorry to sound thick, but are the tyres supposed to be wider at the back, cos when I had the ones on, they ordered 4 same size.

Thanks for any information on this. KT
Slarty

Re: wheels and tyres

Post by Slarty »

The wheels/tyres are meant to be wider on the rear :)

I think the stock sizes are something like 205/215 on the front and 225 on the rear.

Try to keep 10-20mm difference between front and rear, it'll help the balance of the car as the front has less weight on it thus "needing" less grip/rubber and the back is both heavier and is providing the drive so "needs" more grip.

I think the stock alloys are wider, rear to front, too.
justdandy

Post by justdandy »

Thanks Slarty for the quick reply. So the garage that is putting the same tyres on all 4 wheels is wrong! Wish there was a garage near Stoke on Trent that knows Mr2s. I read online that I should put 32 in the front and 34 in the back, but higher in winter... what do you think? Again, thanks.
justdandy

Post by justdandy »

haha... air I mean.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Well, it is kinda wrong, yes.

As for the air pressures, I don't know the stock settings I'm afraid. I "think" it's around 30/33. It's something that's easy enough to play around until you are happy with it, so long as it's somewhere around that.

I've never altered my tyre pressures from summer to winter to be honest. The only time I can see it being of benifit is to lower the rears a few psi when/if it snows to give the tyre a slightly bigger footprint, and hence give you better traction.
justdandy

Post by justdandy »

great advice! especially about lowering in winter. Car is like a roller skate then - lots of fun! I have driven worse (MGF - rubbish) on the ice. Many thanks . Son&heir has just said he will fit them for me next Saturday... so will save your mails for him!

This year I am going to have the car really looked at - bodywork/ new seats, respray... if you know anyone near Stoke who is trustworthy.. would like to hear.

Haha there will be some questions posted on the site when I start that!

Many thanks. KT
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

You're very welcome.

I don't know of any body shops etc in Stoke, the closest to that, that I know of is Lewis Jay (on here) who is a mobile mechanic in the Manchester kind of area. Never used him personally but he certainly seems to come highly recommended :)
synXero

Post by synXero »

Ideally you want 20 or 30mm of width between front and rear tyres. You also generally want staggered alloys, meaning wider at the rear. The standard alloys are 6.5" front and 7" rear. Most people aim for 8" front and 9" rear, but 7" front and 8" rear is much more common. 205 tyres front and 225 rear is common and a great set up. 215/225 front and 245/255 rear is also great for larger, manlier wheels :D (225 at the front is pushing it though)

As for winter driving. You want LESS footprint not more! Overinflated your tyres marginally, or, swap out your wheels for a set with smaller tyres (winter wheels). 255s in the snow will be an absolute disaster. The little corsa across the road with 175s will cut into the snow much better. They key thing here is pressure on the snow giving you grip. Heavy car is good, wide point of contact bad.
justdandy

Post by justdandy »

Thank you for that brilliant reply! Haha on the 'manly' tyres... I sort of sneak up on people in the car - little blonde lady,,, ex rally/rallycross driver! My son will say 'o great' when I get this done! I take note on the winter tyres as well. I will be reducing the inflation come the bad weather. :clap:
jkracing

Post by jkracing »

No, you want MORE pressure in the tyres in winter... gives them a slight 'ballooning' and therefore gives you a smaller contact patch.

Smaller contact patch with the same weight on it gives you greater pressure/inch^2, meaning it will cut through the snow better.

Exactly the same reason why wider tyres wont always give you more grip... there's a balance between the amount of rubber on the road and the pressure effecting on the contact patch.
synXero

Post by synXero »

I'm hoping jkracing's post there clarified mine a little bit. Less foot print = more PSI. :thumleft:
justdandy

Post by justdandy »

oops, blonde moment hehe. Get it now. Thanks to both. More not less!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”