Back in another MR2 - Hi everyone

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aj.extreme

Re: Back in another MR2 - Hi everyone

Post by aj.extreme »

ghostrider88 wrote:Great looking N/A you have there! Some how i d o prefer the N/A over turbo versions. Manly because of the nice sound and the spot on response in the N/A (tried both)
And like those tires. Imagine that they results in a less bumpy ride than with low-profile tires like mine. :|

To be fair it rides pretty well, i am mulling over fitting 17" wheels but as its gonna be used for track days i think it's better suited to running the 16"'s

With the Koni inserts, lower rate springs and full polybush feels really tight. Could do with some braces and possibly new roll bars just to finish off.

Thinking on the engine the 3SGE in there at the mo is pretty tip top and running well, i think i may run it round the track a few times and hold off on the transplant until next year. I am really behind with the work as the weather has been C**P and holding me back, also you dont realise where all your money goes until the MRS gets hold of your bank statement :pale:
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

So had 1 sunny day :pray: please send me more :pray: and got on with the blending. After a good 6 hours i'd managed to have the spats blended in nicely, and made a start on filling the gaps and blending in the side skirts at the rear qtrs.

I know my methods are pretty odd but it works and i'm 100% pleased so far

To achieve this i simply used a thin weave fibre glass and applied over the joins and gaps between the bodywork. Once set sanded it back with 60 grit until all the lumps and runs were smoothed out and then applied liberal layers/amounts of body filler and rubbed back with 60/80/120/240 wet/dry paper. It looks a mess but is a smooth as the rest of the car :clap:

I have yet to do the nearside skirt but the spats and offside skirt are now ready to be prepped for painting.

Next to get on with, sand the nearside skirt, sort the front bumper to get it too a better fit and then blend in the front of the skirts with the wing. Then fit the trim/indicators/mesh the front bumper and prep the whole car for painting!

Dont you sometimes wonder why you bite off more than you can actually chew :oldtongue:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Looking good buddy :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
samhemmings5

Post by samhemmings5 »

looks good bud cant wait to see more progress in the future!
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Once again been a while since i updated this thread but been going as fast as the weather will permit.

What have i have achieved since the last post.

- Bodywork all sorted and kit blended in.
- New custom border front bumper fitted
- Spare suspension arms F&R stripped, painted and polybushed, ready for fitment
- Interior stripped ready for re-trim and exterior respray
- Custom paint made up and all re-spray gear acquired
- Doors removed to paint jams and inside of doors
- Roof stripped back and resprayed Toyota 202 metallic black
- Carbon Canards fitted
- LED front sidelight/indicator mod in progress

I'll let some pics do the bulk of the taking :thumleft:
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Car getting masked up ready for the jams to be sprayed

Inside of doors sprayed and clear coated, got a nice deep shine to the colour

Door jams prepped and sprayed
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Roof sanded back with 400 grit on a da air sander, panel wiped, tacked and sprayed.......Viola

aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

End of day 2 i got the roof finished, the doors finished and back on and unmasked ready to be re-masked (joy) for some paint on the rest of the body

How she looks at the moment

aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

This would prob be a good time to say that if your thinking of spraying your car then its a time consuming process. I have taken it upon myself to do all the bodywork myself as its something i have little experience in so is a great learning curve and although it wont be immaculate the car will have one incredibly proud owner who can say........I did that!

I wont write up a massive how too on the re-spray as its just as easy to google it but if anyone would like some advice then feel free to pm or ask here and i'll help out best i can. I am so far 100% happy with the process and now the car is starting to take shape. Hopefully i can get a few more days of niceish weather to lay down the rest of the base coat and get the lacquer on before winter hits.

It will be an incredible relief to have this done, buffed and polished as its been a long time coming with alot of man hours ](*,)
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work so far :thumleft:
Road_Rebel

Post by Road_Rebel »

It looks pretty impressive for a rattle can job. how many hours do you reckon you have put into it?
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Lol i went and brought a compressor and a couple of HVLP guns. Used the rattle cans to do the side intakes but a few weeks later stripped them back to blend in the skirts.

Since i'm doing the full colour change myself i thought i'd better get all the gear.

Using 2K paint and clear coat from local paint factors

Weather is looking good for my days off Mon/Tues so gonna attempt to get the rest of the body done.
mr2sparky

Post by mr2sparky »

Gr8 job so far , hope the weather holds for u
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Interesting thread and fair play for attempting it yourself :thumleft:
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

I have to say your wheels look lovely, what are your current tyre specs and is your car on standard suspension?
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Cheers guys starting to become a bit of a mission but i'm plodding along, had a fairly productive day today and i must say my spraying technique is also coming along leaps and bounds.

Managed to get the new sidelights and indicators wired in today, gone for DRL style in the 2 bumper ducts that come on with the sidelight stalk switch and also double up as front indicators, hoping with the quad headlights will bring the front up to date.

Also managed to strip back the engine cover, inspection panels and bootlid/spoiler and get the paint down and clear coated. Leaving them overnight to dry in a warm environment!

Also got the bumper ready to go back on, the 1st body piece that is actually totally finished and i am well chuffed with my work. Anyways heres a few pics to give you an idea

aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

The finished front bumper

aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Johnr32 wrote:I have to say your wheels look lovely, what are your current tyre specs and is your car on standard suspension?

Cheers, yeah i think they suit the car perfect and are a great setup for near perfect handling

Advan SA3R's 16"

Front 205/50/16 8J 5mm spacar
Rear 225/50/16 9J 5mm spacer

Running Tein super street coil overs

Have yet to take her out with the Teins fitted, recently replaced them for my Koni's

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

After waiting for what seems like weeks for a decent day i managed to find that Tuesday was the day to crack on with the rest of the body, plus i was dying to get some colour on too see what it looks like.

This is where i made my stand lol

Just me, the car, a load of painting supplies and the threat of rain lol
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

The whole car was masked up with masking plastic film that has been a joy to use, just pull it across the car, cut off what you need and shake like making a bed and voila, the sheets unfolds and covers the car. Its slightly static so sticks to the body, you then just push the sheeting onto the back masking you'd done earlier and cut out what you want to paint leaving the rest masked up :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”