[Mk2] [Turbo] Weight difference ps/non-ps

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Glenn_k

[Mk2] [Turbo] Weight difference ps/non-ps

Post by Glenn_k »

Does anyone know the weight difference of a powersteering rack versus a non-powersteering one? And will it be a big effort to change my ps to non-ps?
Rogue

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Weight difference ps/non-ps

Post by Rogue »

Glenn_k wrote:Does anyone know the weight difference of a powersteering rack versus a non-powersteering one?

Practically zero. The weight saving is in not needing an electric pump to provide the power assist. Additionally, that electric pump will create a parasitic loss at the alternator robbing the engine of a small amount of power.

Glenn_k wrote:And will it be a big effort to change my ps to non-ps?

Yes, huge. The chassis is different for PS and non PS cars and you'll have to cut out and weld in a section amongst other challenges.
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

Well that clears things up a bit.
Thanks for the response.
shinny

Post by shinny »

I've vaguely considered just draining the PAS fluid and disconnecting the PAS control unit to give my a non-P/S car. Not sure how heavy the steering would be at that point or damage anything else :oops:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

shinny wrote:I've vaguely considered just draining the PAS fluid and disconnecting the PAS control unit to give my a non-P/S car. Not sure how heavy the steering would be at that point or damage anything else :oops:

Take it from me, very heavy! The ratios are different in racks that are intended to be driven by fluid.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
shinny

Post by shinny »

toxo wrote:
shinny wrote:I've vaguely considered just draining the PAS fluid and disconnecting the PAS control unit to give my a non-P/S car. Not sure how heavy the steering would be at that point or damage anything else :oops:

Take it from me, very heavy! The ratios are different in racks that are intended to be driven by fluid.

Guess I'll just have to get to the bottom of why my PAS likes to shut itself off then #-o
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

As someone who's power steering decided not to work one day (Fixed now!) I would not reccomend this. All the weight you'd save in losing the fluid and such, you'd put back on with the muscles your arms would acquire.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Tsia wrote:As someone who's power steering decided not to work one day (Fixed now!) I would not reccomend this. All the weight you'd save in losing the fluid and such, you'd put back on with the muscles your arms would acquire.

Non-functional PAS is much heavier than no PAS because you're pushing all that fluid around. (I know this as my PAS is rather tempramental!) Hence my idea of draining the PAS fluid and running it as a non-PAS rack. TBH, given I'm expecting to replace the motor anyway, I might just try it and see what happens...
gavinda

Post by gavinda »

I drained mine. its not heavy to turn with no fluid in it. There is plenty of weight to be saved. I am also running a smaller steering wheel. but then i am no wimp :oldtongue:
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

In my track car I've made mine switchable, on for if its on the road/parking off when on track for better feel.

:thumleft:
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

For me, it'd be just about the weight savings.

Return to “Mechanical”