Back to rev 1/2 rear lights

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gazrev1tubby

Back to rev 1/2 rear lights

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I've gone back to the earlier style rear lights as I quite like the retro look.

I managed to get an el glo centre panel a little while ago, and got it all swapped over today.

What are your thoughts, have I done the right thing?

Before

I'm considering tinting the orange parts in red, to make it more uniform as I really don't like the amber parts.
craig

Re: Back to rev 1/2 rear lights

Post by craig »

Looks good mate, I like both types, and have changed a few times, but gone back to my stock rev3 lights.

Was it you who bought that panel off me through ebay? (ebay seller 90redmr2)

Also, what happened to the Nur spec? :-k
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Looks far better with the rev1 lights. I prefer loads more :thumleft:

Have a look at my lights - I think that's the best option for the Rev1 setup personally. A lot more uniform and without any amber

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=360
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

It certainly was me red :thumleft:

I sold the nur spec about a year ago. Although it looked great, it was just far too loud for me!

I had a japspeed after it, but that was brain damaging, so I swapped it out for a fujitsubo super ti which I've recently removed as I wanted to go back to twin exit.

The mongoose is a stop gap until I find either a berk, or the pipework for a legalis ;)
craig

Post by craig »

gazrev1tubby wrote:It certainly was me red :thumleft:

I sold the nur spec about a year ago. Although it looked great, it was just far too loud for me!

I had a japspeed after it, but that was brain damaging, so I swapped it out for a fujitsubo super ti which I've recently removed as I wanted to go back to twin exit

The mongoose is a stop gap until I find either a berk, or the pipework for a legalis ;)

Where's my bloody feedback?! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, think I'll be getting rid of the Nur, and going with a Mongoose. Great exhaust.

Nur spec with a decat and no bung = "Holllllllllllleeeeeeeeeee shheeeeeeeeeeeeeet"
:lol:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Yours look great Karl, I had thought of doing the same thing. Usdm corners, and clear indicators :thumleft:

I did the full amber delete from wolfie and they looked miles better. How much did he charge you to do yours?
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

RedMR² wrote:
gazrev1tubby wrote:It certainly was me red :thumleft:

I had a japspeed after it, but that was brain damaging, so I swapped it out for a fujitsubo super ti which I've recently removed as I wanted to go back to twin exit

Where's my bloody feedback?! :lol: :lol:

Yeah, think I'll be getting rid of the Nur, and going with a Mongoose. Great exhaust.

Nur spec with a decat and no bung = "Holllllllllllleeeeeeeeeee shheeeeeeeeeeeeeet"
:lol:

I've got so much feedback to leave, I keep putting it off. Besides, I didn't know that the el part actually worked until today :roll:

Ill do it this evening for you bud :)
craig

Post by craig »

Only messing dude :wink:

If the El Glo part didn't work, it would have said so in the ad. :wink:

Looks good though, you got a bargain there too! :D
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

The mongoose sounds great, although it resonates quite badly, so it cancels out the bass of my subs which is kinda annoying. I'd like to go with a legalis, although they're ultra rare to find a good one.

I was thinking of dynamic matting the interior, but I'm not sure it'd make much of a difference
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

RedMR² wrote:Only messing dude :wink:

Sorry mate, the roll eyes smiley was supposed to be a :lol:!!!!

I did indeed get a bargain, and delivery was ultra quick - very much appreciated :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

gazrev1tubby wrote:The mongoose sounds great, although it resonates quite badly, so it cancels out the bass of my subs which is kinda annoying. I'd like to go with a legalis, although they're ultra rare to find a good one.

I was thinking of dynamic matting the interior, but I'm not sure it'd make much of a difference

All I have in my car is door speakers. I was going to get a bung for the Nur spec, but don't think it'll make much difference :-k

Would love a Mongoose to tone it down a bit. Maybe I'm just getting old :lol:

Foooooking loud though, Nur+decat-bung :pale:
craig

Post by craig »

gazrev1tubby wrote:
RedMR² wrote:Only messing dude :wink:

Sorry mate, the roll eyes smiley was supposed to be a :lol:!!!!

I did indeed get a bargain, and delivery was ultra quick - very much appreciated :thumleft:

No bother, I aim to please :mrgreen:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I think the japspeed was the loudest, it makes the whole car vibrate through resonance!

The nur is very loud, but more of a "get out of my f*cking way" loud!

The goose is lovely around town, but boomy at around 65-70 mph. Fine north of 70 though ;)
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Nothing wrong with either set, I think on your car the rev3 looks best with the nicer rev3 center panel, I think if you had that and the red U.S reflectors it would be a good look rather than the clear. Or if keeping the rev1`s on I would get a smooth center panel in there. I`ve never really liked the stock rev1/2 center myself but I do like the light clusters themselves.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Your car's confusing Gaz. What the hell rev is it?! All signs point to early rev except the number plate!

Oh and in answer to your question stock rev3s would IMO look the best ;)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
craig

Post by craig »

I would tend to agree there John. I like both sets, but think rev3 lights clinch it, especially with 4 tail/brake :thumleft:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Think I'm gonna live with the early ones for the time being, and mull it over. I really can't decide at the moment

John, my car is a rev 1 mate, but I've bastardised it over the years with the combination of parts that I think give it a better look :lol:

The number plate is a private one obviously, my birthday and initials. By chance, because it was imported in '98, the dvla said that I could have up to a' 98 prefix as it was the date of first registration in the UK - despite it being a '91 model :thumleft:
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Should have stuck with Rev3+ lights, much nicer than Rev 1/2 lights on all accounts.

I was actually gonna mention tinting the orange parts as you mentioned... On MR2.com I've seen some people red the whole section out, they look decent then.

There's a reason Rev3+ lights cost about 3 times more than the older ones. ;)

(And if anyone wants to swap Rev 3 for my Rev 2 lights, let me know. :lol: )
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I still have my rev3 lights, and won't be parting with them straight away. They owe me a fortune through doing the clear conversion and carbon centre panel.

I'm loving the old school look at the moment, and will be deleting the amber by tinting those parts red.

I've never understood why rev3 lights demand such a high price tag. Iirc, they're only £65 per side brand new from Toyota!

I also think the el glo panel, especially the gold logo, adds a touch of class to the back end ;)
rover19376

Post by rover19376 »

I once had rev 3 lights but gone back to rev 1 lights and grill.

8)

Like them more now , since i cut middle bits out and fitted mesh and sprayed candy apple red. :)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”