Alternator AGAIN !!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vtecpower

Alternator AGAIN !!

Post by vtecpower »

Right changing my alternator for the last time on my rev2 tubby... cant believe this is the 3rd that's going in it defiantly the last one..

im going to do the rocker cover with it and belt so that should be the end of that (hopefully) but apparently all these recon alternators from tcb parts and ebay do not last long and why is that ??

i do roughly 15,000 miles a years and have owned my tubby for 3-4 years she is good as gold but EATS alternators probably my fault for never changing the rocker cover the first time the alternator!!! (must be a really slow leak)

anyways whats the BEST alternator out there apart from a brand new toyota one lol... if this alternator goes then its probably bye bye mr2 world
:( had to really think about doing this time round :shock:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Alternator AGAIN !!

Post by Peter Gidden »

Biggest reason for alternator failure on MR2s is oil dripping onto it from failed cam cover gaskets.

Furthermore, many "reconditioned" alternators are nothing more than cleaned up and repaired. NOT fully reconditioned.

What guarantee period did you get on your previous ones?

My guy guarantees his for 2 years, unlimited mileage. I've only had one back in 9 years.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Biggest reason for alternator failure on MR2s is oil dripping onto it from failed cam cover gaskets.

Furthermore, many "reconditioned" alternators are nothing more than cleaned up and repaired. NOT fully reconditioned.

What guarantee period did you get on your previous ones?

My guy guarantees his for 2 years, unlimited mileage. I've only had one back in 9 years.

that's why im changing it this time round!!

how does yours compare from the average recon ones ?? i noticed my lights was never as bright was they was with a original Toyota one

not sure i think its a year guarantee but if they see oil in it they probably wouldn't give me a refund it was a tcb one .. it started whining then its smells and you can see it lighting up red!!
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

vtecpower wrote:how does yours compare from the average recon ones ?? i noticed my lights was never as bright was they was with a original Toyota one

No different. And no one has ever complained.

vtecpower wrote:if they see oil in it they probably wouldn't give me a refund

Nor will my guy.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

They use QX components alternators and I have had bad experiences as I bought one which only put out 13.4v which QX said was adequate, I changed for a Mr T recon which jumped to 14.5v :) .
I then worked for the company I bought the QX one from and saw quite a few warranty issues.

I know Trev made a little shield to go above the alternator to stop oil getting on to it http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... alternator
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

madbasshunter wrote:I know Trev made a little shield to go above the alternator to stop oil getting on to it http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... alternator

Could always replace the leaking cam cover gasket i suppose... :idea:

:wink:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”