Air Scoop thread i found...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Shifty6Speed

Air Scoop thread i found...

Post by Shifty6Speed »

Hi all, i found the link below whilst doing a google search for toms air scoops... Not sure if it's been linked in here before (apologies if it has!). But i thought it was mildly educational for anyone who may not understand how they could be disrupting the engine compartments airflow by installing one...

Personally i like the look of them and for every day road driving i can't see as they'd cause a major problem, however from reading this, i can see why they may cause problems for those who race....

See what you think. :thumleft:

http://www.mr2.com/forums/general-mr2-d ... -side.html

P.S: Note it's an I-Merican forum so don't get our drivers side confuzzled with theirs!
alanmr2turbo

Re: Air Scoop thread i found...

Post by alanmr2turbo »

I've had the bomex ones on mine for close to 2 yrs and no problems.

If you like them and want one just do it. :)
Shifty6Speed

Post by Shifty6Speed »

alanmr2turbo wrote:I've had the bomex ones on mine for close to 2 yrs and no problems.

I whole heartedly agree! I don't see the issue... Well, i know what they mean regarding the air flow and turbulence in the engine bay and i understand how it could upset the natural aerodynamics for air exiting through the engine lid, but for general day to day driving (even if we do have a lead foot from time to time) isn't going to cause any problems.

On this basis, it doesn't really matter whether you have one fitted to an N/A or a tubby, because the same "problem" will arise regardless... Unless you fit the toms air box, i understand? So yep, if you like the look of them have one (or two if you have a really small p*nis) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: if you don't like them, don't have any. I personally think both the toms and bomex look nice if fitted properly! Carbon ones are lovely on any colour car :)

Anyway, i'm out of my depth now, i've only been a lover of "2's" for about 15 years and like some other people, i don't know as much as i should lol :whistle:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Shifty6Speed wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:I've had the bomex ones on mine for close to 2 yrs and no problems.

I whole heartedly agree! I don't see the issue... Well, i know what they mean regarding the air flow and turbulence in the engine bay and i understand how it could upset the natural aerodynamics for air exiting through the engine lid, but for general day to day driving (even if we do have a lead foot from time to time) isn't going to cause any problems.

On this basis, it doesn't really matter whether you have one fitted to an N/A or a tubby, because the same "problem" will arise regardless... Unless you fit the toms air box, i understand? So yep, if you like the look of them have one (or two if you have a really small p*nis) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: if you don't like them, don't have any. I personally think both the toms and bomex look nice if fitted properly! Carbon ones are lovely on any colour car :)

Anyway, i'm out of my depth now, i've only been a lover of "2's" for about 15 years and like some other people, i don't know as much as i should lol :whistle:

The thing is though, the SW20 is difficult enough to keep cool as it is well within the parameters of daily driving, certainly when ambient temperatures increase.

I notice a huge difference in my cars performance when its warm outside. If you had a scoop plumbed solely to an enclosed airbox, fair enough, but anything otherwise is just compromising a carefully considered design that incorporates the under trays, side intakes, rear windscreen, and boot spoiler for the sake of aesthetics.

Each to their own but not a great idea imho =;
Shifty6Speed

Post by Shifty6Speed »

[\quote]The thing is though, the SW20 is difficult enough to keep cool as it is well within the parameters of daily driving, certainly when ambient temperatures increase.

I notice a huge difference in my cars performance when its warm outside. If you had a scoop plumbed solely to an enclosed airbox, fair enough, but anything otherwise is just compromising a carefully considered design that incorporates the under trays, side intakes, rear windscreen, and boot spoiler for the sake of aesthetics.

Each to their own but not a great idea imho =;[/quote]

That's a good point! I'm not sure how the toms air box works entirely as i've not seen one hooked up in great detail but IF i was to ever have a scoop fitted, it'd be incorporated with something like this...

Either way, i have to sell my dirty German Beemer (actually a very clean car lol) before i can indulge in another beautiful 2.... And for the cost of a scoop and reasons you've pointed out, i probably wouldn't bother...
mk2mattw

scoop

Post by mk2mattw »

i have one fitted to my v6-but i chopped up a spare intake pipe(one that goes to the side vent) and fibreglassed it inside the scoop so it acts as a snorkel,with keeping the origional one fitted too i have a cold feed top and bottom of my induction kit, dont see the point in fitting one if it doesnt do anything but its your car so sod it do what you like!haha
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Shifty6Speed wrote:See what you think. :thumleft:

http://www.mr2.com/forums/general-mr2-d ... -side.html

"Put it this way, even Tom's was embarrassed by the look of their functional scoop enough to use the scoop-less side of the car in their promotional picture."

Sums it up nicely. :lol:

ETA

There never was a R/H scoop so never understood why people fit them. :?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”