[Mk2] [Generic] New wheels, now need to decide on tyres?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jkracing

[Mk2] [Generic] New wheels, now need to decide on tyres?

Post by jkracing »

I've just taken delivery on these bad boys.... So I need to make a decision on some tyres.

I have Federal 595 RS-R's on my 172 cup and they are incredible, but of course, every car differs, does anyone have any experience with them on mr2's?

Loque

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] New wheels, now need to decide on tyres?

Post by Loque »

I haven't seen a lot of feedback about the federals; tbh I had to Google what they were hah. Yokohama AD08s seem to be rated highly.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Are the tyres for track or road use? Fair weather only or all year round use?
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Marf

Post by Marf »

Loque wrote: Yokohama AD08s seem to be rated highly.

5000 miles in and I can concur, they're fantastic, wet or dry and they're rated for use down to -10C.

Great feedback, progressive breakaway and they seem to be wearing very well so far.

If you can afford them and they come in the right sizes for your wheels, get them, you will not be disapointed.
synXero

Post by synXero »

CRKai's or Torques??

AD08s are great if you're feeling like spending big on tyres (one ought to on a '2!) but cheaper & still good are T1Rs, or R1Rs (both Toyos)
Marf

Post by Marf »

dbl post
Last edited by Marf on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

synXero wrote:CRKai's or Torques??

AD08s are great if you're feeling like spending big on tyres (one ought to on a '2!) but cheaper & still good are T1Rs, or R1Rs (both Toyos)

R1Rs arent much cheaper than AD08, there was £20 in it in my sizes, plus they are softer and have less tread depth than AD08s(i.e. will wear faster) and cannot be used below freezing temps.

T1R sqiudgy squidgy. If you're going mid-range/budget performance tyre better off with a Falken 452, much stiffer sidewall.
Alex O

Post by Alex O »

I have just inherited some Falken 452s.

They seem to be pretty good, however, I had 225 eagle F1 on the rear and they hung on like a limpit.....the Falkens are 235 and they light up all the time (not necessarily a bad thing though!!!!)
synXero

Post by synXero »

I liked the T1R. Squidgy can be good! 225 section 452's on the back of the Beams though and they're doing a lovely job so far it seems. I imagine they'll last longer? Harder compound?
jkracing

Post by jkracing »

thanks for all the replies chaps!

They'll be for road use, but not in seriously adverse conditions as I have a delightful little Fiesta for the menial stuff.

I only mentioned the Federal's as they seem to get great reviews, 90% of the grip of 888's in the dry and ridiculous amounts of grip in the rain. Plus. they're on special offer on Camskill at the moment. £380 for all four corners.

And they're CR Kai's :) I was looking to buy some new ones and just happened to come across these on eBay... Got them for a steal too!
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

I had Federals on my old car (MX5) and i found them to be very good and they last a long time, for the money i paid for them i was very happy.
Harv23

Post by Harv23 »

Ferderal just got some myself but haven't tried yet only problem is don't do 245 but there tryes r wider than Normal by a lot so 235 more like 245 anyways
Loque

Post by Loque »

synXero wrote:I liked the T1R. Squidgy can be good! 225 section 452's on the back of the Beams though and they're doing a lovely job so far it seems. I imagine they'll last longer? Harder compound?

I have yet to try them on the '2, but they've always been good to me in the past.

Soft brie is of a harder consistency than proxes, so I imagine the 452s will last a little longer.

Return to “Modifications”