Lacquer Peel

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Harold

Lacquer Peel

Post by Harold »

Hi chaps,

I've noticed some lacquer peel starting on my engine lid and rear drivers side quarter, is there anything that can be done? It looks rubbish and would really like it fixed, but fear that it would be dreadfully expensive.

Thanks for any advice.
tsango

Re: Lacquer Peel

Post by tsango »

Have a terrible feeling that would need a respray I'm afraid. Shame more than one panel is involved. Is it rear wing and engine lid? If so you'd expect to pay about £500 I would say.

Unless it could be flatted back and re-lacquered??
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

not much can be done and it'll only get owrst as the weather guts under the surrounding lacquer.

You have 3 choices

1 sell it before it gets any worse
2 respray
3 put up with it
MR2HOT

Post by MR2HOT »

This happened on an old mx5 i had, which started off as a very small area around the petrol flap, luckily for me i sold the car and i saw it around 6-7 months later and literally it had spread like the plague all over. If you plan on keeping the car i would sort it out sooner rather than leaving as it will get worse very quickly especially now the winter is dawning upon us. Good luck.
Harold

Post by Harold »

tsango wrote:Have a terrible feeling that would need a respray I'm afraid. Shame more than one panel is involved. Is it rear wing and engine lid? If so you'd expect to pay about £500 I would say.

Unless it could be flatted back and re-lacquered??

Yeah it's rear wing and lid, if it was going to be that much I'd rather spend the extra and have a full respray, there's stone chips all over the bonnet, doors and side skirts. I'm not planning on changing cars, but it's an awful lot of money to chuck at a car that's not worth a huge deal.

But I don't think that I can just leave it, it's already got noticeably worse over the past couple of months and it just looks awful, I suppose that it depends on how much a full respray is.
Harv23

Post by Harv23 »

Half decent rate seems to be about 2000
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

You could try brushing some laqure into it. Might sound daft but brushed paint has less thinners in it than spray paint so takes longer to go off. You can get it right inbetween the existing laqure and the base color. The top finish will initially look poor but as long as you build it up enough you can flat it back down and it will come up gloss. Just dont get any hairs left in it.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

If you love the car and want to keep it, you could consider getting it vinyl wrapped instead.

Would be about half the cost of a full respray. I was given a rough guide of about £1,000 the other day.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

James Junior wrote:If you love the car and want to keep it, you could consider getting it vinyl wrapped instead.

Would be about half the cost of a full respray. I was given a rough guide of about £1,000 the other day.

and would look totaly naff after a couple of years.
Loque

Post by Loque »

alanmr2turbo wrote:
James Junior wrote:If you love the car and want to keep it, you could consider getting it vinyl wrapped instead.

And you wouldn't be able to spend hours polishing it.

Get it sorted pronto. I personally think the estimates are a little high on this thread.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Loque wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:

Get it sorted pronto. I personally think the estimates are a little high on this thread.

I think the cost of the respray depends on lots of things. If you do all the prep yourself then it can be cheap. It also depends. I mean i'd want to strip the car completely and have the whole body done for corrosion and fully resprayed.

That would be more like 3.5k
cosmos

Laquer

Post by cosmos »

Some laquers are inferior after some new paint years ago my washer fluid (25%) was wiped over screen and dribbled down the door and desolved the laquer !!
Be great if you could remove the laquer somehow without the paint being affected. Consult some bodyshops ??
Amebb

hi

Post by Amebb »

This is the same thing that is happening to my car paint. Its starting in small patches and it can get worse.

What i did was to remove the flaky laquer and then get some laquer and spray it on. Afterwards, you will have to blend it in with the paint work etc.

You wont get a 100% unnoticeable finish but, A) it stops the laquer peeling further and B) you get an acceptable finish.

I would not recommend this on larger areas as the guys are saying here - you may need a full respray!
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
Draven

Re: hi

Post by Draven »

Amebb wrote:This is the same thing that is happening to my car paint. Its starting in small patches and it can get worse.

What i did was to remove the flaky laquer and then get some laquer and spray it on. Afterwards, you will have to blend it in with the paint work etc.

You wont get a 100% unnoticeable finish but, A) it stops the laquer peeling further and B) you get an acceptable finish.

I would not recommend this on larger areas as the guys are saying here - you may need a full respray!

Loque

Post by Loque »

Draven wrote:
Loque wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:

I think the cost of the respray depends on lots of things. If you do all the prep yourself then it can be cheap. It also depends. I mean i'd want to strip the car completely and have the whole body done for corrosion and fully resprayed.

That would be more like 3.5k

True enough, I was just talking about getting the lacquer peel sorted. There's no point doing the prep work yourself as it shows up further on down the line. Price seems reasonable, including a good anti-rust-dipping-thingie.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”