no crankpulley timing marks

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

chrismanchr

no crankpulley timing marks

Post by chrismanchr »

I have an issue ,Ive got an oil leak coming from my dizzy so it needs to come off and have the o-rings renewed ,but I cant find TDC because there are no timings marks whatsoever on my crank pulley ,its look like some heathen has either had it powdercoated or rubbed it down and painted it ,but I dont know what to do about it ,other than strip down to the timing belt marks which I really dont want to do

any advice guys?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: no crankpulley timing marks

Post by Peter Gidden »

Dial gauge, plunger and spark plug adaptor down no.1 plug hole to find TDC, and re-mark crank pulley.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

If the timings ok then just mark the dizzy with the head so you can atleast replace the outer o ring.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

you see that sounds fine but its difficult to accuratly mark the dizy to the head with the engine in the car its a pig to even see the dam thing then theres the fact the area is covered in oil , I still need timing marks when i reinstall it because the engines not running right and i suspect the timings out

I had a nightmere this week trying to bleed the clutch ,I managed it eventually but this has becme nightmere no2 ,if the marks were there the dizzy would now be in bits lol and awaiting seals
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

It tends to be the external seal that causes the leak. I did 2 lines of tipex on the top and lined it up again when refiting. Without markings on the crank it'll be a pain to know where tdc and 10 degrees are without any special tools.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

I know unleash but ! I am planning to do the timing belt soon so I may do everything at once ,the cars not a daily driver and its quite happy in the garage for the time being ,maybe I should try and get another pulley but they seen to be really expensive ,I dont know why its not like they wear out is it?
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

A used pully is about 30-40, what happens is the 2 pullys are stuck together and after time they can seperate.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

right didnt know that !
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Mine did this and I only found out by trying to do the timeing one day, my timing markings were actually moving around. When the pully delaminates and lets go at 7000rpm it can be quite dramatic.
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Post up pics of your pulley as the timing marks are extremely difficult to see until they've been tipex'd. If you're not 100% sure it might be worth retrieving it and checking for marks before you spend money.

Jon
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

I wont buy another one untill ive taken the old one off and fully examined it I might even try strip the paint off that the previous owner has applied
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

If you think the timing is correct and you just want to service the distributor you don't need the crankshaft timing marks. Just mark the adjustment position with tippex and a scribe and the rotor position with tippex.

There's only 13 teeth (28 degrees per tooth) on the distributor drive so you'll easily know if you are a tooth out on reassembly.
boondougal

Post by boondougal »

just to let you know when i put an alloy one on my car i just lined up my old pulley and transferred the marks, Worst case you could possibly borrow a pulley from someone and use the same technique.

In terms of a second hand pulley then given their tendency to de laminate, never hurts to have a spare.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

when i get to the timing belt change then I'm gonna take off the pulley and see if I can reinstate the marks or make new ones otherwise I'm gonna get a pulley from ebay hopefully not a faulty one as I expec theyre expensive from toyota
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

chrismanchr wrote: I expec theyre expensive from toyota

well last time i dared ask they were £245+ VAT
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

chrismanchr wrote:when i get to the timing belt change then I'm gonna take off the pulley and see if I can reinstate the marks or make new ones otherwise I'm gonna get a pulley from ebay hopefully not a faulty one as I expec theyre expensive from toyota

I've got a spare. If you're coming to JAE I can bring it.

Or just pop round to mine seeing as you must be relatively local?

I'm in Heald Green, near the airport if that helps?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

brilliant in chorlton sth mancs ,when i get round to taking the old one off (which will be a pain!) when i do the timing belt I'll drop you line ,thanks very much ,wont be able to goto jae ;-( been to a few car shows this year though ,japfest2 ,tatton park twice
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

You're only 15 minutes from me. Let me know and I'll get the pulley from the workship, but obviously not this weekend!
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
MartG

Post by MartG »

chrismanchr wrote:when i get round to taking the old one off (which will be a pain!)

I've found that a puller meant for dismantling Mini gearboxes together with a couple of 10mm bolts ( that screw into the two threaded holes in the pulley spokes ) works well when removing the pulley.

As for timing marks - when I fitted a Fensport pulley to my SC I found it didn't have any timing marks, so I just painted some on. Finding TDC is a doddle - just take off the top cambelt cover and look for the marks on the cam pulleys :thumleft:

When I did mine I didn't use the existing timing pointer either ( it has to be removed for the big SC pulley ), so I just painted marks on the end of the sump - which had the added benefit of being easily visible from the side of the car.
chrismanchr

Post by chrismanchr »

while i'm doing the timing belt i'll put somemarkings on it ,I'm stuck into refurbing the camcovers at the moment then doing the distributor but waiting for a dizzy rebuild kit from the usa for that ,then valve clearances before I put on new camcover gaskets ,then I'll do the cambelt and ignition timing

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”