The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote:haha, nope, just a friend who reviews cars and he should have one around the time we're planning to meet up, could link the 2 I thought...

Sweet! Should make an interesting contrast to the '2s :D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've had a few days off working on the Mule, for once. :lol: Instead spending the time plummeting out of the sky and enjoying drinking good wine and good company in France :thumleft:

Anyway...

I finally got around to finishing off the brakes, after a series of obstacles such as wrong parts, breakages, bits needing drilling out and other such wonders #-o

These came the other day, after the first pair got sent back due to being fronts :lol: These things happen I guess, although it would have been good to get them done when the rear end was in bits

I also bought a new set of tuner nuts, to replace the existing ones. They'd started to rust and I really wanted rid of the locking wheel nuts! Hopefully the magical power of zinc will stop these from rusting, or so the manufacturer would have us believe

Up with the passenger side, off with the old and on with the new. Those calipers look redder than before don't they :whistle:

Done. Ignore the wheels, they need a clean. Carbotech pads, while very very good, certainly are dusty!

Same on the other side

Disco

I guess that'll do.... for now.... :wink:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Looking good mate

I just can't take my eyes off of those dirty wheels! Your letting the standards slide :oldtongue: lol - only kidding!!! A good improvement :D
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Love that car =P~ :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Good stuff mate! :clap:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

KarlBristol wrote:Looking good mate

I just can't take my eyes off of those dirty wheels! Your letting the standards slide :oldtongue: lol - only kidding!!! A good improvement :D

I know, it's terrible eh :lol:

I'll need to polish them up AND take a cleaning kit with me on Saturday, if I'm to be sitting it next to a Rolls. Best behaviour please Mule, there's car aristocracy about :eye:

Thanks for the comments guys :thumleft:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Glad you got the wheels sorted chap, what a nightmare but all behind now, really look forward to witnessing the Mule mk2 again...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

You'll finally get that boost run in it we've long been talking about :wink:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Magic Beans wrote:You'll finally get that boost run in it we've long been talking about :wink:

OH YEAH!...

riot68.com
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

Looking fantastic Phil. Love what you have done to her!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

scotty1982 wrote:Looking fantastic Phil. Love what you have done to her!

Thanks Scott :thumleft:

She's gone to a good home then? :)

How's business going? Will we see you at JAE at all?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Had an interesting morning today. Took a drive out to meet up with James (riot68) for a catch up and general car talk, which is always a pleasure :thumleft: However today the 2's were joined by something a little special, in the form of the brand new Rolls Royce Phantom =P~

Now it's not everyday you get the chance to even look around a £288k, let alone to be driven around in one, however today we did. The pair of us were sat in the back in our own luxurious world of leather and wood, cruising the Lincolnshire roads like the lords of the manor :lol: Now I've never really understood the appeal of buying such a car as this, considering it cost around the same price as a couple of nice houses. I've got to say though, when you're sat in the back of one of these, seats reclined to your desired setting, breezing around in complete luxury, you start to see why they sell and realise it's a pretty special place. One very noticeable thing, especially after getting out of a lowered 2 seater sports car, is just how high you are and how tiny the rest of the motoring world looks :shock: I spent the journey there looking at rear license plates and tow balls, but in the Phantom, Passats, Jags, kid buses (people carriers), everything just looks like a toy. It's a little surreal to be honest, something I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to try.

Another distinct different is the type of person who notices the car. When driving a flashy, shouty modified MR2 you can't help but get looks and comments of "Nice car Mr", along with other such demonstrations of intellect as "Nah way man, dat fing is phat!!". Your general car appreciating citizen is often gives a nod of confirmation but in a far more subtle way of course :lol: In the Phantom though it's very different, you're in a world of Radio 2 listeners and middle-autumn aged appreciators. The friendly local classic Jaguar XJ driver, who is generally one of the more reserved motorists, stops and takes a moment to pass a comment of appreciation.

Time to park it up and have a good snoop about the engine bay. Now considering this thing's packing a 6.75 litre V12 it purrs like a kitten. In fact stop in front of it the only thing you can hear is the subtle sound a the engine fans, gently cooling the beast within. So what does such an engine look like? See below

The fact a huge V12 can look small in an engine bay gives you an idea of the scale of the thing!

How smooth is the engine? A 50p piece sat in top should test this. It didn't even flinch!

A few of the interior. The rear carpets were sublime! It was like putting your feet on the back of a grizzly bear :lol:

Rear controls, to manage all aspects of your premium motoring experience and to control the TV, music, climate etc. Basically the guy at the front turns the wheels, the guy at the back is really in control :lol:

The wheels

I thought my wheels were big, but 285s and 21"rims! :shock:

Time to add an Asian flavour to the party.

Height difference, remembering the perspective difference too! :shock:

The lady has a big bottom

Even with the perspective difference those 21's make my 18's look like toy car wheels :lol:

Oh, hello there. Is that a Mule in your door sir :whistle:

That's where the party had to end. The Phantom went on it's way, to strike awe in other motorists on it's travels. James and I took ourselves off for a brew and for a good natter, after which we went our own separate ways for today. Although on my way back I did observe something pretty disgusting, in the form of an Audi TT RS in chrome (yes chrome), being driven by the obligatory smarmy man wearing highly overpriced no doubt Italian sunglasses. He clocked me and old Muley and went bolting off down the A46. Obviously I'm not nearly so reckless as to go racing such a car, however sufficed to say I don't think he thinks it's as fast as he did now :whistle:

Anywho, behold what an excess of money and very poor taste can buy you

I was hoping to take some side shots, however it took it's off before I could.

So anyway, I think I've yet again rattled on for long enough. Thanks again to James for today. Always a pleasure sir :thumleft:
Last edited by Magic Beans on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Grand morning out sir, glad you enjoyed and thank you for a blast in the Mule mk2, what a weapon!...

riot68.com
stephano

Post by stephano »

haha that roller looked like it could eat both mr2's!
good to see yours is in good health. still! :D
craig

Post by craig »

That Rolls looks huge compared to the MR2s!! :shock:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It's huge! A proper road tank but ultra civilised.

Pretty nippy when you give it some beans too.

James - You should get your cod eye photos up too, or did the battery die every single time? :mrgreen:
roadrunner77

Post by roadrunner77 »

really nice car
could you says me where have you fiond your mirrors ?
thanks
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

roadrunner77 wrote:really nice car
could you says me where have you fiond your mirrors ?
thanks

They're Bomex mirrors and came with the car when I bought it. :thumleft:
roadrunner77

Post by roadrunner77 »

thanks ;)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Well, I might be a little crazy, or just have too much time on my hands now the bulk of the car work is done. However I've decided to do a 'lite' version of a wire tuck on the engine bay. I'm not going anywhere near as extreme as some of the examples out there, as well, it needs to be practical and accessible in the event of a problem.

The aim is will to move/hide some parts, hide hoses and wiring as best as functionally possible and to 'stealth' other bits using various means.

There's no rush to finish it, as it will be a done as/when I have the optimum solution for each aspect. Along with understanding whether or not there's any potential negative effects from tweaking the stock location etc.

Here's the canvas as it stood the other day.

I've already made a start. Nothing too serious though as I won't take any risks prior to JAE.

I'll chuck up the odd photo every now and then of course :wink:

Return to “Member Profiles”