Drifting the 2...

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

A.BLAKE

Drifting the 2...

Post by A.BLAKE »

Couple of questions...whos purposely drifts their 2? What technique do you use and where do you do it??? What chassis mods do you have?

Was always scared of getting the 2 sideways but Luke showed me some serious sideways action on a quick blast and I was hooked..
I found an industrial estate just off the north circular heading towards Aylesbury that was obviously built with drift practice in mind you can get 70 on the straight and theres enough tarmac to get it seriously wrong and not hit anything. There is a security guard but he was loving it... Seen him come out of his hut and assumed it was time to leave but he just came to watch..

I found that powering into the slide made for a sketchy drift but stamping on the brakes while turning in sharply then hitting the power in second gave some proper tire smoking results..
Having said this i did kill my engine hitting the rev limiter but a rebuild was on the cards any how...
:oldtongue:
This brings me to my second question, whats the best way to protect your engine on the rev limiter? Will be running a power fc after the build but what about something like a bee-r rev limiter? (With a garret turbo)
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: Drifting the 2...

Post by Peter Gidden »

A.BLAKE wrote:whats the best way to protect your engine on the rev limiter?

Buld a strong engine, properly.

Set a sensible rev limit.

Don't drive on the rev limit.

BTW, remember if the area you're playing in does not have a locked gate, then it is classed as a public place as far as the RTA is concerned.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

BTW, remember if the area you're playing in does not have a locked gate, then it is classed as a public place as far as the RTA is concerned.

Yeah im sure i would hung drawn and quartered if i had been caught, but the security was loving it, was showing him the shiny bits which was when I noticed the bov was spraying oil and drove carefully home #-o

Whats the deal on anti-lag/rev limiters I secretly want it to just let of the bang bang bang once in a while.. :oops: but heard they are not great for the turbo??
glimited

Post by glimited »

Main factors would be a good clutch that can take the abuse and also a hydrolic handbrake than can help aswell. It's not all about power as i've seen/been in MX5's that can drift very well, but a bit of power is essential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blCxCwxF ... h_response
Last edited by glimited on Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
glimited

Post by glimited »

OK, maybe having abit or power might help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEtGKx-V ... re=related
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Very good, by Keiichi Tsuchiya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHaMdset9Y
Marf

Post by Marf »

Love the line from the full video after he spins the MR2 "Even a monkey falls from a tree sometimes" :mrgreen:
rgb

Post by rgb »

you can set the rev limit on a power fc. i think it will drift better with smaller wheels and dont do it on private land , it only looks good on public roads.
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

- OEM 15" Wheels with hard tyres for learning.
- Decent brake setup (balanced nicely)
- Strong, healthy engine

Best to learn in a low powered car so you actually learn to drift. Way to many people have jap cars with huge turbochargers which easily get the tail out, but IMO you should be able to drift without a huge amount of power.

Weight transfer and a bit of power to maintain the slide :)
Loque

Post by Loque »

There are many ways to do it. They all work as they would in anything RWD. It's just a bit harder to catch and maintain in the 2.

A friend of mine had an NA with a welded diff. That seemed to work pretty well for him.

There's a definite difference between getting the back end out at a few roundabouts and 'drifting' mind.

Try it in the wet first in an open area - that way you don't have to involve the anything near the limiter at all, it's easier on the clutch too. Obviously it'll save your tyres as well.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”