[Mk2] [Turbo] When does a mr2 stop being a sports car and become a hypercar or something

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

trd2000

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] When does a mr2 stop being a sports car and become a hypercar or something

Post by trd2000 »

JeffD wrote:The GT300 race cars were highly modified so that's not really a fair comparison - by the time they were finished there was very little left of the original car except the body shell - see the link below.

http://trd2000gt.forumotion.com/t123-gt ... nal-photos

You could never buy the GT300 spec from the factory - just a TRD2000GT body kit from the factory with some optional goodies. Even in that spec it wont match a Ferrari.

Wont match a Ferrari ??.. sorry but that was exactly what it did during the GT300 races .. and won ower Ferrari !

And Porche, and lamborghini and everyone else !

And dont say thats on behalf of the mods.... as ALL the cars had mods
Also you can retrofit the samme mods i you want to, without limiting the car to 300 hp :oldtongue:
A.BLAKE

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] When does a mr2 stop being a sports car and become a hypercar or something

Post by A.BLAKE »

A super car was built to be super... An mr2 was built to be a cheap sports car. A modified car is exactly that... A modified car... This is why we have these terms.. Yes you can describe your mr2 as a super car to people if you think it will impress them but if you really want to impress just take them for a drive in it..
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Wont match a Ferrari ??.. sorry but that was exactly what it did during the GT300 races .. and won ower Ferrari !

Also you can retrofit the samme mods i you want to, without limiting the car to 300 hp :oldtongue:
The GT300 races as the name suggests were limited to 300BHP. As you know a standard MR2 Turbo only has 245BHP so would be tuned up to increase it whereas an F40 comes with 478BHP and would require de-tuning to compete and put them on a level playing field. You seem to be implying that an MR2 is better than an F40 which I think your going to struggle to get people to agree with you.

The mods made to the GT300 cars were never available to the public - the TRD2000GT program is just a body kit with the option to also buy wheels, shocks, springs plus other styling items etc. to pay homage to the GT300 - they are NOT the same!
Last edited by JeffD on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

JeffD wrote:

The GT300 races as the name suggests were limited to 300BHP. As you know a standard MR2 Turbo only has 270BHP

A standard MR2 turbo has either 225bhp REV1/2 or 245bhp REV3+
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

LOL - your right - was thinking of my own tuned one! DOH
Harv23

Mr2

Post by Harv23 »

mercedes mclaren slr? Is this not a hyper car? Mclaren only modded this
trd2000

Post by trd2000 »

JeffD wrote:

The GT300 races as the name suggests were limited to 300BHP. As you know a standard MR2 Turbo only has 245BHP so would be tuned up to increase it whereas an F40 comes with 478BHP and would require de-tuning to compete and put them on a level playing field. You seem to be implying that an MR2 is better than an F40 which I think your going to struggle to get people to agree with you.

The mods made to the GT300 cars were never available to the public - the TRD2000GT program is just a body kit with the option to also buy wheels, shocks, springs plus other styling items etc. to pay homage to the GT300 - they are NOT the same!

Well just to be shure that we are talking about the same??
You say F40.. well that model was not in the race...
2005–2009 : Ferrari 360
2007–present : Ferrari F430

And the mr 2 sw20 won in 1998 and 1999. thats 2 ferrari'es down.
The Mr S won in 2005 and 2007.

Saying that one car was tuned up or downwards means nothing.
this is the test of wich car performs best with the same restrictions = Handling.

Not saying the the mr 2 i a supersports car.
But id be crying if i had spend the XXXXXX £ on a so called super sportscar just to be biting the dust to one of the slow normal sports cars :roll:

By the way,i beat a 360 on the highway a few weeks ago with my rev 1
, and he did sort of have that look in his face :evil:
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

That must be some Rev 1 you're running! :shock:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Tsia wrote:That must be some Rev 1 you're running! :shock:
+1

That will be the special edition "delusional" model ;-')
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

our MR2's are not supercars #-o no matter how much we may want them to be.
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Skywalker wrote:power power power.

Surely lateral G's have to come into it?

Just makes me think

"Needs more power al. Hugh Hugh Hugh"
greeny

Post by greeny »

JeffD wrote:
Tsia wrote:That must be some Rev 1 you're running! :shock:

+1

That will be the special edition "delusional" model ;-')

You'd be surprised, in a straight line the 360's aren't really "that" quick.
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Oh I agree an MR2 could keep up with one with the right work done to it, but a Rev 1 with bolt ons will still struggle/fail, surely? I'm prepared to be corrected if need be! :thumleft:
glimited

Post by glimited »

An Mr2 will never be a Supercar or Hypercar for me. It has to have passion and love and charactheristic like Ferrraris and Lamborghinis if you understand me? As much as i love my MR2 it's more machine than lover.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

I've pushed a 360 convertible up the road before. And 355. So it does happen. Doesn't mean the MR2 has supercar pedigree.
greeny

Post by greeny »

Skywalker wrote:I've pushed a 360 convertible up the road before. And 355. So it does happen. Doesn't mean the MR2 has supercar pedigree.

True, mr2's are just a cheap sports car.

You just get the typical lay-out/setup of a typical "supercar" in a cheap affordable package.

Whatever we do to an MR2 it will always just be an MR2.

Many years ago, my rev 1 with a hybrid, exhaust, c/c and 18psi pulled 2 car lengths on a 360 from a 70+ leptons pull.

The stereotypical 40+ year old bloke with his young bleached blonde 20 something year old wasn't too happy! Got it on video somewhere.

I'd of swapped logbooks though if he'd of wanted :mrgreen:
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

greeny wrote:
Skywalker wrote:I've pushed a 360 convertible up the road before. And 355. So it does happen. Doesn't mean the MR2 has supercar pedigree.

You just get the typical lay-out/setup of a typical "supercar" in a cheap affordable package.

Many years ago, my rev 1 with a hybrid, exhaust, c/c and 18psi pulled 2 car lengths on a 360 from a 70+ leptons pull.

The stereotypical 40+ year old bloke with his young bleached blonde 20 something year old wasn't too happy! Got it on video somewhere.

Video please :thumleft:
greeny

Post by greeny »

Gee Man wrote:
greeny wrote:

Video please :thumleft:

Il try and dig it out on my old comp and pm you it. :thumleft:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Its almost impossible to define the "supercar" many have tried, the same number have failed :) There are simply too may factors involved, its not enough for a car to be significantly faster than 99% of other cars on the road, or even significantly more expensive.

Somehow a supercar, just....well......is

As for the MR2, well it brought mid-engined motoring to the common man. If you compared the Rev 1 Turbo to the entry level Ferrari of the time the 348tb, it actually stacks up pretty well.

Power: 225bhp - 300bhp

0-60: 5.7 - 5.6

Top Speed: 163mph* - 171mph

Not bad foor a poor man's Ferrari. But ultimately, the MR2 even in GT Turbo guise was still just a Toyota, a very good one, but a Toyota all the same. It doesn't matter how much you modify an MR2, it will never be a supercar.

*Top speed quotes for the Rev1/2 vary from 150-163mph, naturally I give it the benefit of the doubt :D
trd2000

Post by trd2000 »

Tsia wrote:Oh I agree an MR2 could keep up with one with the right work done to it, but a Rev 1 with bolt ons will still struggle/fail, surely? I'm prepared to be corrected if need be! :thumleft:

well then this is me correcting you.

rev 1 makes the samme power as a rev 3 once you go aftermarked turbo, headgasket, injektors and ecu.
And the rev 1 have a stronger block then the rev 3.

And as to supercar pedigree.. well the mr 2 have tons of racing pedigree.
The trd 2000, Sard MC8-R (le mans), and a engine that was used for winning the WRC in the celica.

And a Honda NSX is definitely considered a supersports car.
But i cant se that it have more racing pedigree then the mr2.

Both was test driven by F1 drivers during development.
and they perticipated the same races.

In my opinion the supercar title is mostly a sales sticker today.
So what the mr 2 lack to be a supercar would be a higher price.
Although if you look outside the borders, you will find that some maintained mr2's go for the same as a ferrari from the same age!!

http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx? ... 2320000000
http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx? ... 9720000000
http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx? ... 3530000000
http://www.autoscout24.eu/Details.aspx? ... 5330000000
http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-inserat/to ... res=EXPORT

.copy/paste from wiki:
Supercar is a term used most often to describe an expensive high end car. It has been defined specifically as "a very expensive, fast or powerful car".[1] Stated in more general terms: "it must be very fast, with sporting handling to match", "it should be sleek and eye-catching" and its price should be "one in a rarefied atmosphere of its own".[2]

However, the proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. So-called vehicles are typically out of the ordinary and are marketed by automakers to be perceived by the public as unusual. The supercar can take many forms including limited production specials from an "elite" automaker, standard looking cars made by mainstream companies that hide massive power and performance, as well as models that appeal to "hardcore enthusiasts" from "manufacturers on the fringe of the car industry".[3]

"Supercar" is also a label custom car retrofitters reserve for their showcase, one-of-a-kind project vehicles; typically these are very extensively-modified collectible muscle cars, sports cars or grand touring automobiles updated to the very latest "streetable" racing technology.[4][5]

Occasionally, the term "Hypercar" is used for cars that might be considered beyond the definition of "Supercar"; although it should be noted that the designers of the world's fastest production car (circa 2009) do not use this term.[5] This is even more nebulous to define.

Return to “Modifications”