MR2 Outdoor Car Cover for the Winter months

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marlowe

MR2 Outdoor Car Cover for the Winter months

Post by Marlowe »

Has anyone any experience with decent car covers?

I'm looking to buy one in the next few months to give the car a bit of protection over the Winter months - ideally a good quality MR2 specific one which is breathable.

I know a garage is always going to be preferable but unfortunately I don't have a garage (just a very long drive with shelter by houses on two sides), and I am keen to get the car covered by December - Feb when it's not going to see much use. A few friends have suggested renting a lock up, but there's none nearby and I don't really want to leave the MR2 somewhere I can't keep an eye on it.

If anyone has any experience or can even recommend some brands, that'd be great. :)
Nails

Re: MR2 Outdoor Car Cover for the Winter months

Post by Nails »

From my experience with car covers I wouldn't bother. They move about to much in the wind and scuff your paintwork. By the sounds of your drive though could you not have a car port? Would be much better. I'd have a car port in a crack but I park facing the house rather than down the side of it. Keeps the rain, bird poo, snow off and frost and condensation off.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Cheers for this - I am planning on building one next year when I've got the cash (unfortunately have spent more than I spent on the car this year getting it all up to a point where I was happy with it for the ring trip and just bought an engagement ring, so feeling it cash wise at the moment!).

I'll just let it weather the winter this year (hope its a mild one - does anyone put anything over their engine bay grill during heavy snow?), and get one built next spring. :)
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Moo

Post by Moo »

When it comes to car covers, you get what you pay for.

A £20 Ebay/Halford special will be a load of tat that will do more harm than good.

Take a look these. Multi layered, fully breathable, UV resistant, soft inner lining that doesn't scratch your paint and fully securable with under car straps. I paid £240 for an Advantex one that was tailored to fit over my bodykit and haven't regretted it one bit.

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/

http://www.coveryourcar.co.uk/store/home.php?cat=320

Expensive but worth it imo. A cheap cover will probably do more damage than leaving the car exposed to the elements.
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

I had anticipated paying £100+ tbh for a decent one - I know the cheap efforts are useless. It's interesting to hear of the contrasting experience. Thanks. :)
Rev 2 Turbo (Testing my patience)

Golf GTI MK5 (Competent but dull)
Torero

Post by Torero »

Interesting, I've got a Monsoon cover and it is amazing, I've had it two winters and the protection it offered from snow and rain was well worth it.

I also put it on in the summer as it keeps out the small bits that fall off the trees. I can now switch on the vents without crap flying into the cockpit and open the engine bay and it's spotless. Very useful, especially if you have engine lid fans

Mine has air vents so no moisture issues, underbody straps and mirror pockets so it stays pretty well put, the only issue I have is that when I bought it, the company said it was for any revision but not for a combat spoiler, what they meant was not for REV 5 and I have a rev 5 #-o. So not only did I fork out 200 notes but I put a tear in it fannying around trying to get it in place. (repaired now though :D )

May well sell this and get the rev 5 one for the winter. Just the same, I could always take the spoiler off as it's really is worth every penny. Think of what you save on sill repairs and the result of leaky T-Bars etc and this pays for itself.
Nails

Post by Nails »

I can't remember where I got mine from. It was out of a jap mag meant to be tailered etc and all singing and dancing. Was a POS really. Paid a canny penny for it too. Probs not far off the 200 mark.
Wasn't for the MR2 though
uglee

Post by uglee »

£140 for mine. Semi tailored I think.

Was breathable and felt lined and again wasn't really for the Rev5 wing. Sat a little high at the back but was fine.
It's not something I'd use as an everyday thing, but if it only comes out every week or so it's well worth having. The cheap plastic things are worse than having nothing at all

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”