[Mk2] [Generic] engine lid fan

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] engine lid fan

Post by KarlBristol »

Whilst your answering fan questions :whistle:

I've got dual rogue fans I'm going to wire in

Will I need x1 or x2 relays?
What type of wire would you recommend?
Could these take the feed from the original fan?
Finally I have 3 wires rather than the 2 that jack has ... Any idea of what goes where?

Oh and will I need a 12v or 24v rocker switch?
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Okay so if I did it the second way I would have:

Wire 85 and 86 to the two going to engine bay fan (doesn't matter which side is which) (one of these wires will be the black and blue wire am I also connecting pin 30 to this. I.E. two wires spliced into one?

Is this correct or have I misunderstood something?

Oh and Karl wait your turn, I havent finished picking his brains yet! :eye:
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

Just posting to bookmark this thread
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Another question - If i do go for the fusebox screw with an inline fuse route, which fuse should I put in there?

So far today I've only managed to find a location for the relay and another for the earth, I'm thinking this may have to get finished tomorrow at my snails pace!
shinny

Post by shinny »

jack-p wrote:Okay so if I did it the second way I would have:

Wire 85 and 86 to the two going to engine bay fan (doesn't matter which side is which) (one of these wires will be the black and blue wire am I also connecting pin 30 to this. I.E. two wires spliced into one?

Is this correct or have I misunderstood something?

Oh and Karl wait your turn, I havent finished picking his brains yet! :eye:

Yup - that would do the trick. So the blue/black wire would go to one of 30/87 AND one of 85/86 :thumleft:

The remaining 85/86 goes to the blue/white wire and the remaining 30/87 goes to the fan. Finally, you ground the other side of the fan and you're done.

jack-p wrote:Another question - If i do go for the fusebox screw with an inline fuse route, which fuse should I put in there?

So far today I've only managed to find a location for the relay and another for the earth, I'm thinking this may have to get finished tomorrow at my snails pace!

You fan is rated about 7A IIRC, so a 10A fuse sounds about right to me.

KarlBristol wrote:Whilst your answering fan questions :whistle:

I've got dual rogue fans I'm going to wire in

Will I need x1 or x2 relays?
What type of wire would you recommend?
Could these take the feed from the original fan?
Finally I have 3 wires rather than the 2 that jack has ... Any idea of what goes where?

Oh and will I need a 12v or 24v rocker switch?

Most automotive relays are 30-40A, so a single relay should be ok to run the ~13A those fans will take (worked fine for me). However, you've be pushing the 20A VENT fuse close to blowing if you ran the rogues and the engine bay fan off the same wire.

Unless you want to control the fans independently of each other, there's certainly no need for a second relay. My rogue fans only had a pair of wires coming out of them - I've no idea why you have three. I'd guess it's one common ground and the 12V feed for each fan independently. If that's correct, you should just be able to join two of the together.

As for wire, I think I used some two-core 13A mains electric cable just cos it was easy to get hold of, would handle the current easily and was black.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

shinny wrote:
Yup - that would do the trick. So the blue/black wire would go to one of 30/87 AND one of 85/86 :thumleft:

The remaining 85/86 goes to the blue/white wire and the remaining 30/87 goes to the fan. Finally, you ground the other side of the fan and you're done.

Thanks shinny, You're a massive help! :D

I think I'll go with connecting 30 and 85 to the blue and black wire then for the tidier finish. That way I'll have less wires running through the engine bay and wont have to connect an inline fuse.

I have to stop for the day now so will crack on tomorrow and post my progress :thumleft: So far I've mounted the relay and connected one of the engine lid fan wires to ground. I connected it to the earth bolt on the inspection panel.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Okay I'm back out working on this now and it turns out I don't have a blue wire with a black strip.
I have a solid blue wire and a blue wire with a white strip. Which is my positive wire?

EDIT it turns out there is a blue and black wire but it's on the other side of the plug. I'd rather use the wires from this end of the plug though so is it a situation where I need to use the blue and black wire from the less accessible side or can I use the positive from this side? And which is the positive??
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

I borrowed a multimeter and discovered that the blue was the positive wire and blue/ white negative.

So I've wired it in as follows:

30 - engine lid fan wire 1
engine lid fan wire 2 - earth
87 + 86 - engine bay fan positive
85 - engine bay fan negative

I'm not sure why but it hasn't worked ](*,) I warmed up the car until the fan came on and the new fan didnt come on. So where have I gone wrong??
shinny

Post by shinny »

There's no need to warm up or even start the car... turn on the ignition and unplug the sensor on the engine bay lid. Your fan should come on and stay on until you plug the sensor back in.

BTW, make sure you've not wired up to 87a (if your relay has that pin) accidentally. If not, check whether your new relay is activating with the fan - you should be able to feel and hear it click on and off as you plug/unplug the sensor. (There is another relay that does this in the rear fuse box, so don't get the two confused)

As it happens, I wired up my fan last night. Took me a while and a little modification to get the fan sat securely in the lid without the blades rubbing on anything (mostly the fan's own housing!). After that I removed my standard engine bay fan (which was getting in the way of my oil cooler) and wired the fan directly up to the standard wiring without any relays, which works a treat :thumleft:
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

I think we've got the same one :whistle:

How did you attach the fan?
Merely stick it between the lid and cover?

I've noticed it really is a close fit, but I've still put some heavy duty (black stuff out a tube, don't know English word anymore :mrgreen: ) on the corners for some extra safety.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Ren0W wrote:I think we've got the same one :whistle:

How did you attach the fan?
Merely stick it between the lid and cover?

I've noticed it really is a close fit, but I've still put some heavy duty (black stuff out a tube, don't know English word anymore :mrgreen: ) on the corners for some extra safety.

Yep, at the moment its just held between the lid and cover.

Just got back from a short holiday so back on this now :)
shinny wrote:There's no need to warm up or even start the car... turn on the ignition and unplug the sensor on the engine bay lid. Your fan should come on and stay on until you plug the sensor back in.

](*,) well now I feel like a fool! Makes it much easier, thanks.

shinny wrote:
BTW, make sure you've not wired up to 87a (if your relay has that pin) accidentally. If not, check whether your new relay is activating with the fan - you should be able to feel and hear it click on and off as you plug/unplug the sensor. (There is another relay that does this in the rear fuse box, so don't get the two confused)

Nope mine just has the four pins. It is defiantely clicking when the fan comes on so not quite sure why it isn't working?? :?

shinny wrote:
As it happens, I wired up my fan last night. Took me a while and a little modification to get the fan sat securely in the lid without the blades rubbing on anything (mostly the fan's own housing!). After that I removed my standard engine bay fan (which was getting in the way of my oil cooler) and wired the fan directly up to the standard wiring without any relays, which works a treat :thumleft:

Cool, got any pics. I assume there was no need for a relay because the original fan was removed.

I'm thinking that both wires from the engine lid fan should be connected to the relay so it makes a complete circuit and this could be why it isn't getting power? at the moment one wire goes to the relay and the other is an earth so surely doesn't make a complete circuit??? :?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

jack-p wrote:I'm thinking that both wires from the engine lid fan should be connected to the relay so it makes a complete circuit and this could be why it isn't getting power? at the moment one wire goes to the relay and the other is an earth so surely doesn't make a complete circuit??? :?

DO NOT connect both fan wires to the relay!!!

The car chassis is earthed so you have a complete circuit.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

I wont. This is why I'm asking rather than fiddling, I clearly haven't a clue!
Any ideas why this isn't working for me then?
shinny

Post by shinny »

Yes, you're right, I connected my fan directly to the engine wiring loom, using the plug from a spare fan. No relay present and it's working just fine for me

The only thing I can suggest is you got the positive and negative the wrong way round on the fan wiring, hence you're connecting the fan to ground rather than 12V when the relay closes.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

It turns out the fan didn't work anyway! ](*,)
I ended up wiring it to the fuse box like suggested which would have worked nicely.
Thanks for all your help both Shinny and Peter Gidden :thumleft:
samhemmings5

Post by samhemmings5 »

this is definatly something i need to do, engine bay gets roasting in mine!

Return to “Modifications”