Flat floor under trays

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Flat floor under trays

Post by KarlBristol »

Next year I'm contemplating ripping it the old sagging under trays and fitting metal flat floors.

Does anyone produce these or would I have to custom make a set myself?
Anyone done this yet?

I'm presuming that aluminium would give the best combination of protection, stability, and ease of use/cost?
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: Flat floor under trays

Post by tonigmr2 »

Speak to Rogue, have done several race cars. :)
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

im thinking of doing these but using di-bond. This is like a hard plastic sandwiched inbetween 2 sheets of thin aluminuim and is 3-4mm thick. It's used in outdoor shop signage so should be up to the job.

Cost is around £70 for a 8x4 sheet which will be alot cheaper than an ali sheet.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

alanmr2turbo wrote:im thinking of doing these but using di-bond. This is like a hard plastic sandwiched inbetween 2 sheets of thin aluminuim and is 3-4mm thick. It's used in outdoor shop signage so should be up to the job.

Cost is around £70 for a 8x4 sheet which will be alot cheaper than an ali sheet.

How easy it that going to be to custom cut to size?

I'm thinking that with Ali at least you can snip it to shape :-k

I presume you dont know of any pre-cut ones?

alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

KarlBristol wrote:
alanmr2turbo wrote:im thinking of doing these but using di-bond. This is like a hard plastic sandwiched inbetween 2 sheets of thin aluminuim and is 3-4mm thick. It's used in outdoor shop signage so should be up to the job.

How easy it that going to be to custom cut to size?

I'm thinking that with Ali at least you can snip it to shape :-k

I presume you dont know of any pre-cut ones?

For straight cuts you can use a stanley knife and score it a few times and snap it, you can even use a hand saw on it so lot easier to work with than ali.

I dont know of anywhere that do pre cut ones though :(
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Just dropped rogue a pm to see if they make/made them and prices, etc...

Watch this space :-k

Would make a good group buy though....

John145

Post by John145 »

I'm planning on doing this also. I was advised by my touring car racer friend to use marine ply 2/3mm thick. Easier to work with and survives fine.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

not at Rogue prices they wont be. Just be sitting down when you get the reply :lol:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

John145 wrote:I'm planning on doing this also. I was advised by my touring car racer friend to use marine ply 2/3mm thick. Easier to work with and survives fine.

Not sure I'd really want wood veneer bolted to the underside of my car :lol:

Less sleek race car and more morris minor traveller imo, Lol.

Marine ply has some serious weight to it, I'd rather stick to the original plastic ones I think. You need a durable and sleek material that won't mark or damage easily and weighs roughly the same or less than the originals otherwise it makes it pointless.

Thin but durable sheet metal has to be the way forward I think :-k

KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

alanmr2turbo wrote:not at Rogue prices they wont be. Just be sitting down when you get the reply :lol:

Lol, I did think that, but at least we would have a starting point then, lol...

You never know they might surprise us! :lol:

tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I had mine done by Gartrac...now that was expensive.
Custom work is never pennies.

edited: because there are two grades with performance mods. Stuff that looks the part and stuff that works. You pays your money you takes your choice. :eye:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

We experimented with this back in 2008 and it's nowhere near robust enough. The very properties that make it easy to work with in the signage industry (we got ours from an exhibition company on the same industrial estate) make it too fragile for automotive use. It tears too easily. The stuff we used was called Alupanel.

alanmr2turbo wrote:not at Rogue prices they wont be. Just be sitting down when you get the reply

Help yourself to the free advice above. It's just saved you £70.

KarlBristol wrote:Just dropped rogue a pm to see if they make/made them and prices, etc...

The bulk of the cost is not actually in the flat sheet, but in the interface between the sheet and the chassis. You need a fairly sturdy frame to take the stresses that the floor is going to see if it's working correctly. It's possible to stand on the front splitter on my race car for instance.

Every floor we've made to date has been a totally custom job, as it's had to bridge the gap between sideskirts and stand-off from the original floor. We've done floors that are part aluminium sheet and part marine ply - the reason for this is that the owners considered the front splitter to be a consumable that would likely be damaged often and should be cheap to replace.

If you're using marine ply, expect it to last about 2 years or so before it deteriorates to the point that you really need to replace it.

Karl, if you want to discuss further then please drop us an email with a bit more detail about you car so I can route it to the workshop. Do bare in mind though that as Alan points out, it's more expensive to pay someone else to do it for you than to do it yourself...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”