[Mk2] [NA] Best exhaust for bhp gains?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jkracing

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Best exhaust for bhp gains?

Post by jkracing »

thanks very much for all the info chaps!

The Legalis R and Black top beams are looking like a great way to go.... I've been looking at the possibility of throttle bodies too, probably from a large capacity bike. Have there been any successful throttle body builds? Doesn't seem to be very common, obviously because of the ease of bolting in a GTE.
Nic

Post by Nic »

jkracing

Post by jkracing »

The link that Nic sent me to exhaust pictures....

The car at the top of page 6.... could someone please tell me if they are O.Z superleg's? and what size if possible?

It won't let me post the link to the picture because I'm a new member :(
Nic

Post by Nic »

jkracing wrote:The link that Nic sent me to exhaust pictures....

The car at the top of page 6.... could someone please tell me if they are O.Z superleg's? and what size if possible?

It won't let me post the link to the picture because I'm a new member :(

The white wheels on the red MR2? They look like 18" Work Emotion CR Kai/Ultimate.
jkracing

Post by jkracing »

Perfect, thanks Nic!

And one more thing chaps, along the exhaust lines again.... I've looked and looked and can't find a legalis R anywhere, so I'm toying with the idea of going to EMP exhausts as they seem to get good reviews on here and are very reasonably priced....

So my last question (maybe) is, does anyone else have any reviews of the company or their exhausts?
And if I do decide to go for it.... What are the favoured pipe dimensions performance wise?

Thanks again!
Nic

Post by Nic »

The Fujitsubo exhaust uses 60.5mm diameter piping with 90mm tail pipes.
Road_Rebel

Post by Road_Rebel »

Im sorry to tell you this JkRacing but trying to get tuning advice on the NA engines from this forum is like trying to extract blood from a stone.

I would say about 80 to 90 percent of people on this forum run the 3S-GTE and people who had the 3S-GE who wanted more power were pushed down the turbo or V6 route.

This being said, you will find it quite dificult to find any information on the 3S-GE's tolerences due to the simple option of being able to drop a more powerful engine straight in.

I have managed to install a Toyosports Exhaust system (4-1 branch manifold) on my NA and i have some piper cams with a 285 profile yet to be fitted. I will also be purchasing an uprated fuel pressure regulator if it needs it, if you want you can PM and share the results we are getting as we go along with the builds.

I don't know about you but it does my head in when people say, just drop a turbo lump in, its not an answer to the question i asked lol, i know im being an idiot, leave me to be an idiot :P

I just think to myself, the Honda Vtecs don't do badly for them selves and they are lovely to drive, maybe i don't want a turbo :P
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

But you don't have a vtec engine, so it's not a comparison.

People are only offering info from experience and modding the N/A for mega power is hard and expensive. You're talking race engine expensive. A bit of head work and an exhaust and filter are only going to add minimal gains.

After that where can you go without having very deep pockets??
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Road_Rebel wrote:i know im being an idiot, leave me to be an idiot :P

People on this forum are actually quite useful and thus, if you're being an idiot, will try and stop you from being an idiot. I nearly went down the 'NA all the way!' route until I tried a tubby. Then I laughed at myself and dropped a turbo lump in. it cost very little money, bit more on insurance, sure, but oh god the gains! :)
Road_Rebel

Post by Road_Rebel »

Tsia wrote:

People on this forum are actually quite useful and thus, if you're being an idiot, will try and stop you from being an idiot. I nearly went down the 'NA all the way!' route until I tried a tubby. Then I laughed at myself and dropped a turbo lump in. it cost very little money, bit more on insurance, sure, but oh god the gains! :)

I highly doubt the increase for a 20 year olds insurance to drop a turbo lump in will just be a "bit" BUT majority of people here are older than me and have had much more experience than me with 2's and cars in general so when the day comes you guys can turn round and say "Told you so..."
I'll make sure your the first person that can say to me Tsia. Deal? :wink:
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

If you want awesome gains n/a.

Fit a Honda K20A engine.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Road_Rebel wrote:
Tsia wrote:

I highly doubt the increase for a 20 year olds insurance to drop a turbo lump in will just be a "bit" BUT majority of people here are older than me and have had much more experience than me with 2's and cars in general so when the day comes you guys can turn round and say "Told you so..."
I'll make sure your the first person that can say to me Tsia. Deal? :wink:

Deal. Also, I'm 21 and it didn't increase it by a great deal. Call insurers first, it's not that bad. I considered it "part of the conversion cost".
jkracing

Post by jkracing »

Road_Rebel wrote:Im sorry to tell you this JkRacing but trying to get tuning advice on the NA engines from this forum is like trying to extract blood from a stone.

I would say about 80 to 90 percent of people on this forum run the 3S-GTE and people who had the 3S-GE who wanted more power were pushed down the turbo or V6 route.

This being said, you will find it quite dificult to find any information on the 3S-GE's tolerences due to the simple option of being able to drop a more powerful engine straight in.

I have managed to install a Toyosports Exhaust system (4-1 branch manifold) on my NA and i have some piper cams with a 285 profile yet to be fitted. I will also be purchasing an uprated fuel pressure regulator if it needs it, if you want you can PM and share the results we are getting as we go along with the builds.

I don't know about you but it does my head in when people say, just drop a turbo lump in, its not an answer to the question i asked lol, i know im being an idiot, leave me to be an idiot :P

I just think to myself, the Honda Vtecs don't do badly for them selves and they are lovely to drive, maybe i don't want a turbo :P

Thanks mate, that would be very helpful.

I'm completely aware that the n/a route is a stupid one, but there's something very appealing about a screaming n/a car.... But obviously the main reason for me is wanting to take it racing.

I'm hoping that I can keep costs down to a semi sensible level as I can do any work that's required myself.... I'm just going to play around with options and see how it goes I think.

I fully expect I'll end up buying a turbo as a road car once this one is underway a bit.
jkracing

Post by jkracing »

Nic wrote:The Fujitsubo exhaust uses 60.5mm diameter piping with 90mm tail pipes.

Perfect, thanks again Nic!

Return to “Modifications”