uk front number plate

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CRA161E

uk front number plate

Post by CRA161E »

Needing little advice, I have a uk rev3 which has the number plate held on the front of the car with sticky pads. Didn't like it so got a uk number plate holder, took plate off and front bumper has been filled for a flush look however hasn't been done great close up as you can see it. From a distance it looks a lot better but I currently have the plate in the window which not only looks xxxx but is against the law.

So in sort do I fit the uk holder om front and get it back to oem? Or can anyone suggest somewhere else to locate it which keeps me legal,doesn't block air flow to radiator and looks good? Have seen a few American car cars with small square plates to one side of grill but unsure if the is legal in uk with letter size ect and also how it would be secured on.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Marc
lemonyfresh

Re: uk front number plate

Post by lemonyfresh »

How about here, like mine? Ive never had any issues from tne plod, and used to live down the road (litterally) to cop shop!

blacker than the blackest black, TIMES INFINITY!
CRA161E

Post by CRA161E »

Looks good and keeps front end clean. It held on with sticky pads?
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Hate to say it but that plate is just as illegal if not more so than having one in your window

All plates need to be around 90 degrees from the road, the correct size, and to the front of the car. As this plate is almost flat its not at all visible, if that car was around here the police would be all over it. Imho its not worth chancing fines, being summones to court or your car being q plated

Looks nice though :thumleft:

As a copper I dont mind if import square plates are fitted so long as I can see the reg :D
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Nab him quick. Road deaths will occur because the plate is a little bit angled.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Lol, Ive got better things to do with my time
I only deal with serious incidents such as stabbings as shootings; I was trying to help the op avoid fines, courts and revoked plates :thumleft:

Just a heads up - traffic coppers find any excuse to pull you over and make your life difficult. Its better not to give them the opportunity :D

Plus picky mot testers will fail it immediately with a plate like that
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
lemonyfresh

Post by lemonyfresh »

:-k never seems to have been a problem in the 3 years ive had it (or for the previous owner?)

meh.

I dont think that picture does it much justice tbh, mabye a funny angle - Its not quite THAT flat when you see the car in the metal, easily readable etc etc etc. worst comes to worst and it was ever questionned i'd get a stick on one (not ruining my lovely smooth front bumper with screws!!).

..... but its SORN at the mo, so i doubt ill have to worry too much :cry:
blacker than the blackest black, TIMES INFINITY!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I had a UK front plate + mount on my Border bumper on my turbo. Better than the jap-sized plate which blocked off half the airflow, especially with a chargecooler prerad in the way too.

Shamelessly nicking one of the new owner's photos...

IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”