All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: All over for G164 CKV... didn't make the moon after all.

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

Just to reiterate for everyone else,the very first thing rob said to me is that he didnt want find the fault. With limited time the engine is Diagnosed as seizing. Contrary to robs wished, I spent £250 on a tool to look into it without stripping it down. If you really wanted to know what was wrong, all I needed you to say is 'find out what's wrong'. This toy throwing is not helping.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

cvega666 wrote:I remember this car and I remember my disbelief when time and time again you didn't want to get a new lump and drop it in there, and insisted on getting this one fixed time and time again....

I'm all for great records and whatnot, but it will cost you money! :oops:

You and me both Jan. I'm a bit frustrated by the whole situation and it's not even my car.
Seems a catch 22 for Luke here, customer doesn't want to pay for any diagnosis yet wants to know what is wrong. Communication issue aside, Luke didn't break the engine, it came to him broken. I'm sure he is keen to find out what is wrong with it but when he has paying customers literally queuing up, I'd prioritise them over someone who doesn't want to pay for a diagnosis.
Also, the engine was not without issue, it overheated AFTER the head rebuild.
If the engine is dead, which it very much sounds like it is, then it's dead. I personally wouldn't give a monkeys what made it break, its a 20 year old engine with over 200K on the clock.
It's a simple case of new engine, or break the car.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
MR2_Turbo

Post by MR2_Turbo »

cvega666 wrote:I remember this car and I remember my disbelief when time and time again you didn't want to get a new lump and drop it in there, and insisted on getting this one fixed time and time again....

Kick him when he's down :thumleft:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

MR2_Turbo wrote:

He is saying what pretty much everyone who knows the car is thinking, it's a fair comment. I recall a conversation with 3-4 other well known MR2 owners when we all discussed how mad it was to persevere with the old lump when the cost of a replacement was cheaper than most of the repair jobs.
oddshoes

Post by oddshoes »

Rob mate, sorry to hear this dude the engine has done well getting to that mileage dude and it wried the way it died, but none the less when i first must meet you, you always said that you wanted to v6 her now is your chance :)

But if times are tight like they have been for me many times over the years why not sell a few of your mods like i have done to get some work done many times in the past you know so i can get work done. A free engine has got to be an incentive ;).

If it was me I would sell the rev6 headlights and the TOM's little spoiler that you as I would say there's about £500 and that's not to mention anything else that you might have. I hope this can steer you in a new direction rather than leaving a scene that you know and enjoy

Dave :D
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Talk about everything but that which is material why don't you all. Let me be clear....

I still have had no response as to why my car wouldn't hold charge after Lukes fitment of a new alternator. I got a car back that wouldn't start under it's own power even with a new battery and that I'm told has now died unexpectedly and catastrophically during the actual process of trying to start it. Why should I pay more to diagnose a problem that started with Lukes work?
I have been asking about it for a month with no reply. In that time countless calls and texts have been ignored and still this issue hasn't been addressed.
As for those posting why carry on with an old engine etc (not that it has any relevance whatsoever anyway to the issue) as if there is some sort of expiration date on them? Simply because up till that point there was nothing wrong with it.
Jan, the only significant engine issue the car has ever had was the H/G so less of the 'time and time again' rubbish and Ollie I suggest you be careful stating so categorically who has or hasn't broken the car considering your friendship with Luke and the fact you have not been involved directly with it in any way. The car had a mild temperature issue immediately following the H/G work which was carried out by Luke but Luke himself said it was a simple small problem of the fans and it was sorted quickly and without any further recurrence some 6 or 7,000 miles ago all as part of Lukes H/G work and costs.
Saying you personally wouldn't give a monkeys what made it break is just nonsense and in my view not very responsible for a moderator. I'm sure you would if you thought it possibly the result of the paid for work of a professional mechanic.... one who wasn't your close personal friend.
If anybody else wants to post feel free but keep it relevant and accurate please or else keep your own counsel.

R
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

This is my last post on the matter.

To say you've sent texts and calls is a lie. The last text I have from you is july 17 on your way back from gatwick.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do. And I'm sorry your car has packed up, it is far from my fault. As with all our cars we take great care and I was genuinely upset with yours. I'm upset that after all these years it has to end like this.

My dad always warned me customers are you best friends until something goes wrong, then it's fInger pointing time. I'm shocked and disappointed its coming from you. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Due to the troubles caused we will not be working on the car again and is ready for collection for your own diagnosis.

Luke
MR2_Turbo

Post by MR2_Turbo »

charged wrote:
MR2_Turbo wrote:

He is saying what pretty much everyone who knows the car is thinking, it's a fair comment. I recall a conversation with 3-4 other well known MR2 owners when we all discussed how mad it was to persevere with the old lump when the cost of a replacement was cheaper than most of the repair jobs.

Does it really need saying though? The last thing i'd want in his shoes was people coming on and saying 'i told you so' when he's obviously not feeling great about it anyway.

I've nothing else to say on it, just thought it was a bit rough, that's all.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

It won't be your last post on the subject since I am not a liar and I will not stand for being called one. The offence is libel and I challenge you to either obtain an itemised copy of your own mobile invoice and highlight your claimed responses to the texts and calls I've made from my number (which will of course be detailed on my own itemised invoice) or else to apologise and retract your claim. I shall make the request for my own detailed bill tomorrow and am happy to submit it to the IMOC committee. I trust they too will take a very dim view of anyone posting libelous comments on this forum and look forward to hearing from them with regard to how it should be dealt with from this point.

You go on to say it is far from your fault but you have STILL not answered my question as to why 2 batteries failed to hold charge and start the car after you diagnosed and replaced a failed alternator immediately prior to this failure during the start up/ignition process.

As for your latest text saying you have now left my car outside of your yard and that it is out of your hands.... frankly I think it accurately reflects your professional conduct and comes as no surprise. I trust your existing and prospective customers will take due note.

I await both your and the committees response with interest.

R.
ashley

Post by ashley »

HighwayStar wrote:you have now left my car outside of your yard

:-s
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

HighwayStar wrote:
As for your latest text saying you have now left my car outside of your yard and that it is out of your hands.... frankly I think it accurately reflects your professional conduct and comes as no surprise. I trust your existing and prospective customers will take due note.

:shock:
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

As per the charging issue (Paul may know) do N/A's have the same wiring as the turbo's? Basically that black with yellow trace wire that runs from fusebox to alternator (iirc) that can go brittle & breakdown? I spoke to Paul on the phone once (first time i've spoken to him & a call out of th blue which he happily helped with) and he talked me through testing he wire & bridging an extra wire which totally cured my issue (which was not charging/holding charge/flattening new batteries/etc)

Just a thought.

[Also, regarding Ollie's posts, they are a personal opinion & have nothing to do with his position of him bein a moderator. All mods do is help with tidying & looking after the forum, and we do not represent imoc's views on matters unless stated.]
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Steve Horrocks wrote:As per the charging issue (Paul may know) do N/A's have the same wiring as the turbo's? Basically that black with yellow trace wire that runs from fusebox to alternator (iirc) that can go brittle & breakdown? I spoke to Paul on the phone once (first time i've spoken to him & a call out of th blue which he happily helped with) and he talked me through testing he wire & bridging an extra wire which totally cured my issue (which was not charging/holding charge/flattening new batteries/etc)

Just a thought.

And a good thought too.

Easily tested before removing alternator. And a classic well known issue on Rev1 cars.

Rob, if you want to know how to do the test, give me a call.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Rob,

I'm aware that you are sensitive about this issue, I count you as a friend but as you probably know by now, I say it how it is. How it is for me is that you've had issues with that engine overheating for at least 3 years. Each time you've spent money, I felt that money would have been better spent with a replacement engine, especially when we're talking only£500 ish for a low mileage, later spec 3sge, fitted.

HighwayStar wrote:
Saying you personally wouldn't give a monkeys what made it break is just nonsense and in my view not very responsible for a moderator. I'm sure you would if you thought it possibly the result of the paid for work of a professional mechanic.... one who wasn't your close personal friend.

R

I stick by that, I honestly wouldn't care. Being a moderator is beside the point. Cars go wrong, especially 20 year old ones. Life is too short to dwell, just move forward.
If this has happened to me, my view would be, the old girl has given up, she's had a good innings, time for a new lease of life. I wouldn't be trying to find blame with someone and again I really wouldn't be fussed what made it break.
However, this wouldnt have happened to me because I would have swapped the engine out back in 2009 when it first started having problems.
Last edited by Charged on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

HighwayStar wrote:
As for your latest text saying you have now left my car outside of your yard and that it is out of your hands....

HighwayStar wrote:OK. Do nothing further and I'll sort a trailer to take it elsewhere.

Well, it was on the cards.

And worth noting for anyone who doesn't know where Pacific works is, the car may be out of the workshop and unit complex but it is still behind 2 locked gates which even the local pikeys cannot get through.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I grow weary of people who simply don't know, who've never worked on the car or driven it or even been a passenger in it, telling me how healthy or not my own engine was whilst STILL simply choosing to ignore the electrical issue (and it's cause) which I believe has led to this problem as if it just hasn't happened.

Ollie you may think what you like but I say again as a moderator you should be more careful about what you post. The only major issue this engine has ever had was the H/G work done last year so comments like "each time you've spent money" and "at least three yrs", which go to paint a picture of an unreliable and unhealthy engine are not only inaccurate but by extension seem to me to be rather biased.

I remind you AGAIN that after this H/G work 6/7000 miles ago the engine was by Lukes own boast on these forums at 185 across all 4 cylinders, it kept temperature fine, burnt little oil, produced no smoke, recorded no warning lights and sounded great. It continued in this vein till the very end of the last journey it now appears it will ever make. Engines do indeed die but they do not die for no good reason and nor do they commit suicide.

As for your claim that even if you thought a garage that you had just paid money to to maintain your vehicle had actually destroyed your engine you would give it no regard nor seek no recompense or repair well, I can only reply that in that case I think you a fool.

As for my comments on Lukes text concerning his moving the car (which were obviously an assault on his professionalism) and your retorts I will simply state that at my last service 2000 miles ago that although I was charged £40 for an hours labour the service was actually carried out by another customer whilst Luke continued to work on that customers car. There's professionalism and pride in your work.... I should have taken more heed then.

PS. I've just been on to Vodafone and ordered up my itemised bills for the last 2 months but am disappointed that I am yet to hear from a representative of mods or the committee from this forum regarding the aforementioned 'liar' assertion from Luke. How are these things usually progressed?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

meh.

Cant really be ar$ed to argue but I dont take anything back from what I've said, that engine should have been out a long time ago, in fact when it was out it should have been replaced.

What being a moderator has got to do with anything I really dont know.

Feel free to state your reasons though.

You can call me a fool all you like but I stand by that statement, I would not give a monkeys, I'd just put a new engine in, simple. If it was a £5000 car I used every day, maybe but for a car worth a £1k, not on your nelly.

If you have an issue for the committee or moderators then I suggest you bring it to their attention. What you are asking them to do though, I dont know, it's not really their issue your car is broken.

If you have an issue with a mechanic and how he works on your car, stop taking it to that mechanic, it obviously wasn't an issue at the time if you paid the bill and took your car back, funny how it's an issue now.

It's clear you are unhappy your car is broken, it seems clear you are unhappy when people offer their opinion (which is all I'm doing) but dragging up stuff like this is just clutching at straws, its just a weak attempt to rubbish someone who you used to be friends with off the back of your 225,000 mile engine breaking :roll:
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

HighwayStar wrote:PS. I've just been on to Vodafone and ordered up my itemised bills for the last 2 months but am disappointed that I am yet to hear from a representative of mods or the committee from this forum regarding the aforementioned 'liar' assertion from Luke. How are these things usually progressed?

You may not have heard from a Moderator of Committee member as we do not read all threads and as yet nothing on this thread has been formally reported.

That said, the Moderators and Committee are aware of this thread.

IMOC do not get involved in formal disputes between members, we ask that people use the Trader Feedback forum if necessary, but in the event of legal implications that this should be kept off the forum, though we welcome news of the outcome. This has been demonstrated with other matters.

Even if you both produced itemised bills, the Committee and the Moderators are not qualified, obliged or inclined to pass "judgement" on who is right. If it is an issue of libel as you claim, then this is a matter you would need to pursue that through other avenues.

As a result of what has been said, the thread is to be locked.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Topic unlocked following discussions.

Any behaviour likely to result in a breach of IMOC rules, or any behaviour that does result in a breach of IMOC rules will mean this thread is locked permenantly.

This is to all parties concerned.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Having just read this thread I wish it stayed locked ... This is going to get awkward me thinks :tumbleweed: lol

Best of luck to all involved :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”