Kumho V70A tyres on stock 15" wheels ?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobPhoboS

Kumho V70A tyres on stock 15" wheels ?

Post by RobPhoboS »

Hey guys,

Time to replace my tyres but these Kumho's popped up on my radar. I was thinking about the hard compound for day to day road use plus a few track days here and there.
Typically I use Toyo T1R's, which I think are great EXCEPT for the sidewall flex, it's really horrid but always grips. Also in the wet these tyres are very good (at least for my NA).

So stick with the same or try something new... :-k
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: Kumho V70A tyres on stock 15" wheels ?

Post by tonigmr2 »

I've just put Toyos on my 15s, and have to say they are better than I remembered. Not bad grip at all.

No experience with the Khumos but aren't they a budget brand? I'd have thought harder tyres won't be more fun on track either...
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

The other compounds aren't available at the moment, originally the medium would be my choice.
Definitely NOT budget at all :thumleft:

Yeah I've used the T1R's for the last 3 years, it's just that flexing under quick direction changes that feels really nasty. Even just try turning left/right in a straight line (like warming up the tyres), feels really wallowy.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

What pressures do you normally run them at?
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

32 front
36 rear
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Hmmn, that's quite firm anyway!

Tell you what, try the Khumo and report back so we all know. :mrgreen:
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

Bah !
I hate being the guinea pig, especially when it costs money :lol:
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

x2 on not being budget!

you thinking 195/50 and 225/50? in which case thats over 500 notes!

i run the ad08s and find they grip really well wet or dry. the kumhos are actually track day tyres not like the r1rs/ad08s which are marketed as trackday performance but can be daily driven.

guess it depends on how often you use the car but in any event i'd probably be a bit scared of running a full out track tyre if for example theres standing water or a crazy downpour of rain
stephano

Post by stephano »

have a pair to go on my sprint car (fronts) v70a's and r888 are around the same lap times tbh not alot in it.
have used them in my freinds car several times and they are great but wear very fast and very un-even.

those pressures are very high for track use. im running 24F 26R R888's
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I tried the V70a tyres on the rear and found them to not provide as much grip as the R888s back there. I found I got better rear end grip with 235/50/15 R888s that I did with my 265/45/16 V70a tyres (and a hell of a lot less rear arch rubbing - that was with fully rolled rear arches too, lol)

Both V70a and R888 actually do have a reasonable amount of aquaplaning resistance when new and full of tread.

It's when you start getting down to the 3 to 3.5mm tread depth that you will need to start driving like a granny on the motorway during heavy rainfall. Given that they only come with 5mm of tread when new it doesn't take long to reach that point :lol:
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

stephano wrote:
those pressures are very high for track use.

That was for road use :thumleft:

I'm going to stick with T1R's for now as I've got some other things to sort out this month, but I may try the v70a's on the spare wheels next month 8)
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

I have been running toyos for years on stock 15s. I do a lot of miles and I get through one set of rears a year and one set of fronts every 2 years.

The tire wall used to flex so much on stock pressures that it spoiled the handling of the car. To get around this I had them pumped up to 34psi and the car is great fun cornering.
(It used to annoy some drivers of much more expensive cars as they could not hold my lines on the country roads so they would cut the corners even across double white lines to keep up with my mr2 within the speed limit. Some would back off after getting a bit too close to a hedge or kerb or oncoming traffic. Sometimes I would slow down to encourage them to stay on the correct side of the road, but then they would tailgate me instead - idiots!).

Earlier this year I had a new pair of front toyos fitted and I was happy there was no tyre wall flex issue on stock tyre pressures. :D

I hope you guys that have been put off by tyre wall flex in the past will give them another go as they are good fun and it helps keep them in production.

Well done Toyo for improving this tyre in mr2 sizes. :thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Right, that is interesting, because the new set I have just put on are a lot better than I remember. Perhaps they have improved them!
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

oh and if I run them at 34 psi all round I average 11 km/ltr fuel economy... which is the book figure for a new rev3 turbo engine, although mine is one fuel tank fill up short of 300,000 km!
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

I'll stick with T1R's whilst they are being made, saves me having to purchase a fancy new set of wheels :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”