[Mk2] [Generic] Auto art front lenses.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

[Mk2] [Generic] Auto art front lenses.

Post by craig »

What are people's thoughts on these? Cheap tat? Not bad?

I don't think the quality comes close to the oem lenses. The bulb holders for a start are pretty poor compared to oem.

Thoughts?
jack-p

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Auto art front lenses.

Post by jack-p »

Quite interested in this too.
I like the oem style ones they do and not too bad at £35 (it says its a sale but you'd be unlucky to buy them for the full price, basically a dfs sale! :eye: )
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-MK ... 5ae20e77af

The genuine ones get mold around the edges anyway so if anything I think these would look better than a set of used toyota ones.

Anyone bought a set?
craig

Post by craig »

I have a set on my car at the moment. Smoked ones, but I think I'm going to refit the stock orange/white lenses instead. :-k
asdrewq

Post by asdrewq »

I had a set of the OEM style ones on my old car, as linked by jack-p.

IMO they really weren't that bad, but this was on a light blue rev2. On a darker car they would look a bit more tacky.

The quality wasn't up to OEM standards and I didn't really like the super reflective background in the removable reflector piece, but they did fit ok, never fell out, and I thought the indicator/sidelight lens was much fresher than the OEM clears I have now.

Oh I had to solder an OEM connector onto the loom - the one it came with did not fit a UK rev2.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

RedMR² wrote:I have a set on my car at the moment. Smoked ones, but I think I'm going to refit the stock orange/white lenses instead. :-k

I'm a bit confused why you're asking then, surely you know how good or bad they are if you have a set?! I'd say avoid the orange/clear ones, they're the worst of the lineup. clear or if you like orange, all orange IMO.

asdrewq wrote:IMO they really weren't that bad, but this was on a light blue rev2. On a darker car they would look a bit more tacky.

The quality wasn't up to OEM standards and I didn't really like the super reflective background in the removable reflector piece, but they did fit ok, never fell out, and I thought the indicator/sidelight lens was much fresher than the OEM clears I have now.

Oh I had to solder an OEM connector onto the loom - the one it came with did not fit a UK rev2.

My cars white so should look okay. Do they look cheap in real life or are they the same looks wise as oem? do you have any pics?

The reflector pieces stood out to me too, I wonder if the toyota ones would fit :-k or maybe worth baking them and painting the reflective surface silver if they really stand out.

Wouldn't expect to have to solder anything, doesn't the oem loom fit the bulb holders?
craig

Post by craig »

I know what they're like, just interested to see other people views on them. I quite like the orange and white.

All orange jdm type should technically fail a uk mot.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

RedMR² wrote:All orange jdm type should technically fail a uk mot.

Good point there actually, that never crossed my mind before. I wonder how people get away with it.

So what's your opinion of them then, cheap tat or worth the money? To be fair the Toyota ones are so much more expensive, for me at least they're not an option new.
craig

Post by craig »

jack-p wrote:
RedMR² wrote:All orange jdm type should technically fail a uk mot.

Good point there actually, that never crossed my mind before. I wonder how people get away with it.

So what's your opinion of them then, cheap tat or worth the money? To be fair the Toyota ones are so much more expensive, for me at least they're not an option new.

Hmmmm not entirely sure. They look alright, but are constructed on the cheap when compared to quality of oem lenses.

Oem Toyota rev4+ clears are around 150 quid new complete. These are 35 quid including delivery. I'll leave that one with you :lol:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

The Auto art ones ive had in the past, are what they are ,cheap ,
(sorry to those that have them fitted) look OK for a while but start to craze over after a while (well the smoked ones did ), and leak so get condensation inside ,and green up around the edges

Best ones ive had are the ones made by DEPO but they dont have the sidelight fitments ,so you need to improvise

MR2Ben sells both types ,Autoart and Depo , (just compare the plastic on the rear of the lights)

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... ts-mr2-mk2

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1999

second hand

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-mk ... 20c8a9fb72
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I bought Toyota ones...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “Modifications”