[Mk2] [NA] exhaust trouble

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jack-p

[Mk2] [NA] exhaust trouble

Post by jack-p »

I bought a new (well second hand) exhaust for my car and when attempting to fit it hit trouble.

The bolts that hold the cat to the backbox are badly rusted, well beyond the use of a socket set. At this point I decided to take it to an exhaust place to see what their opinion was. They say in order to fit it they'll have to cut off both flanges on the cat and the exhaust and weld a pipe between to bridge the gap.

Has anybody had any experience with this and is this really my only option?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [NA] exhaust trouble

Post by Peter Gidden »

Sounds about right. If the metal has rusted away, (as Toyota exhaust flanges normally do), then welding new metal in is the only answer.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

really? I don't fully understand why the bolts can't be drilled and tapped but he said not. This would make the exhaust and cat one piece, I'm surprised I haven't read about others having this problem before
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Drilling and tapping is probably no cheaper. Heat may work, but they may be well past that stage. Try shopping around. Also, the guy is trying to do a "proper job" remaking your flanges.

As i said, corroeded flanges and rusted bolts on exhaust systems is common. One reason why old OEM exhausts systems don't fetch much s/h.
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Could the not weld the pipe one side and use a U clamp the other? this would mean the systems was 2 peices still at least.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Just thinking that drilling and tapping may be alot cheaper if I did it myself but I'm a little worried that once I do the flange may be unusable anyway. How badly rusted does the flange need to be before it's un-useable?

No he isn't remaking the flanges which is the bit that worries me, the price went up drastically when I asked about the possibility of that option.

Roughly what should I expect to pay here then? This is much more of a ballache than I was hoping for that's for sure!
Super_red

Post by Super_red »

Every second hand MR2 exhaust I have seen looked fine up until you look at the flanges which always seam to rot. Its a pricej job to wled new ones in, more than a 2nd hand exhaust is worth for sure.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

im with peter here, every mr2 i have broken without exception that had a std exhaust has bolts rusted away to pins and the flanges were a quarter of there original thickness, once you cut them off you'll see that the 'real' metal ofter the rust has flaken off is even less, its almost like the pastry on a sausage roll, when i changed a mates std exhaust to a stainless his was so bad he needed a new downpipe and cat just to change the back box
ashley

Post by ashley »

I had this same issue on my original rev3 NA exhaust system, I went down the route of cutting out the bolts and making myself new flanges.

Having done it myself I would say it isn't worth the effort, it takes longer than you think making up a new flange in decent gauge metal- and I can understand why a garage would charge £££ for it.

Do you really need to be able to split the two parts of the exhaust in the future? If not I would let them weld in a new bridging piece of tube...will be your best £ for £ option in my opinion :thumleft:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

If the flanges are ok just the nuts gone,you can grind off the nuts ,
i helped someone the other week ,alternately these will do the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irwin-Nut-Bol ... 1e704f9f41

where are you ?
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

I really don't know if the flanges are okay. They have surface rust but until i start to cut it apart I wont know how badly rusted they are. The garage said they're probably not okay but I don't think he anted to say for definate.

I thought I may get away with getting something like this and bridging it myself
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Made-E ... 19d32cd5ce
except after further inspection I dont think that would work becuase the cat doesnt have any pipework before the flange.

I think I have two options really, a) cutting it off between the flange and cat and welding a new one on that side which would bolt up against the flange on my new exhaust. (This seems like the tidiest solution and I dont see why it would cost more than option b)
or b) cutting the flanges off the new exhaust and the cat and welding the pieces together.

both methods will require welding the diameter of the exhaust so I'm not sure why option b) is more expensive. I'm swaying more towards replacing the flange becuase I'd still be able to change the exhaust if it was too loud or didn't look right etc.

I'll go to a few places to shop around tomorrow. Whats peoples thoughts on what this should cost?

Return to “Modifications”