After 7 Months

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

After 7 Months

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I have finally got my new number plate brackets fabricated and welded on!

Will be buying a 12x6" plate later so will take a few pics of it on in situ just in time for the Silverstone Classic on sunday!

Just simple brackets made from 3mm thick carbon steel, tig welded to the bar. Will have to cut the bumper cover to fit around but should look good once the plate is fitted.

alfiembra

Re: After 7 Months

Post by alfiembra »

There are rules governing the size and position of the number plate, text font etc and I've heard of a few people falling foul of over exuberant traffic wardens and there interpretation of the regulations.

from the DVLA website

The police can issue fixed penalty fines for illegally displayed number plates. Offenders could face a maximum fine of £1,000 and in some cases the number plate may be withdrawn.
Vehicles with illegally displayed number plates may fail the MOT test.
Also, the characters on a number plate need to be a standard height and width.

Your number plate should show the correct:
•character height - 79 millimetres
•character width - 50 millimetres (except the figure 1 or letter I)
•character stroke - 14 millimetres
•space between characters - 11 millimetres
•space between groups - 33 millimetres
•top, bottom and side margins - minimum 11 millimetres
•space between vertical lines - 19 millimetres

AFAIK if it possible to display your number plate in the centre of the car then that's where it has to go.

HTH

Alan
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi Alan thanks for the info.

As I changed my rear lights to Supercharger lights I had to get a 12x6 plate for that as well - it hasn't failed the MOT since they've been on there for the last 2 years.

Unfortunately where my bumper bar has been 're-worked' the holes for the strip underneath have been covered up so I cannot re-attach the plate in the centre.

I did wonder about this when I got the brackets welded on, but I remember seeing a Woodsport car with the plate on the left hand side which wasn't an import and no queries regarding the plate. Sorry Paul, pinched this photo off of your website.

cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Should be fine :thumleft:

The alfa's run them offset too, i did for a period as well. Police aremore worried about letter style and shape than number plate size usually
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Cheers Tim :thumleft:

Here is the finished product. Badly need to move the plate up the upper set of holes drilled in the brackets, but did it in a rush.

The eyebrows I wrapped in carbon vinyl look intensely poo but the paint is badly chipped on them so had to cover them in something as didn't have any paint!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”