[Mk2] [Turbo] Any tips on changing valve stem seals?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Mattackers

[Mk2] [Turbo] Any tips on changing valve stem seals?

Post by Mattackers »

Hi, I've got a rev 1 3sgte that smokes blue smoke only at idle, it's fine when driving. I've been told its the valve stem seals. Anyone got some tips?
Thanks
Matt
bobhatton

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Any tips on changing valve stem seals?

Post by bobhatton »

Take the head off, remove the cams remove the springs remove the valves.
Recut the valve and head seats, clean head, fit new Toyota only valves seals, not any ebay or cheap ones or you will be doing the job twice. refit valves, springs etc and refit cams. Check cam clearance and adjust as per the BGB. Refit head with new toyota head gasket and new bolts.
A new cam belt would be good too.

I hope you like working on engines :D
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Are you sure its not your turbos oil seals starting to let go. Its well worth investigating if you haven't already.

Recent thread. . http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=162727

Kev.
Mattackers

Post by Mattackers »

thanks for the replies, i have thought about the turbo seals being gone. i removed the decat pipe and there was the usual black soot but only a light oil residue. it takes about ten minutes at first start for the smoke to start so i guess as the oil starts to thin as it gets hot it is pushing past the turbo seal? I have just purchased a turbo technics stage 2 ct26 so that will be going on next week. hope this helps.

thanks
matt
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Snap on sell a special tool that allows you to replace the stem seals with the head left on.

I bought one when I done mine, and it was a doddle - albeit fiddly.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

gazrev1tubby wrote:Snap on sell a special tool that allows you to replace the stem seals with the head left on.

similar to this?
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

badgerbob wrote:
gazrev1tubby wrote:Snap on sell a special tool that allows you to replace the stem seals with the head left on.

similar to this?

No link\pic bob :)
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Yep, we have one in the workshop. The tool as it comes does not work with the inlet seals, so we made a modified handle.

IMHO, i'd wait 'til you've replaced the turbo as valve seal problems are very rare on a Toyota.
Mattackers

Post by Mattackers »

Well guys, a very big thankyou for your advice. I change the turbo last night and it still smokes heavily at idle. A bit gutted but oh well. I'm using 5w50 fully synth oil aswell, should I thicken it up? Say 15w50?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Mattackers wrote:Well guys, a very big thankyou for your advice. I change the turbo last night and it still smokes heavily at idle. A bit gutted but oh well. I'm using 5w50 fully synth oil aswell, should I thicken it up? Say 15w50?

No
If seals are leaking it will not matter how thick your oil is.

I would take your breather pipe off the cam cover and see if the engine is breathing oil out of there
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Mattackers

Post by Mattackers »

Cheer bob, I did take the breather pipe off last night when I rev it there does seem to be a very fine mist puff for a brief second. No oil residue that I can see or feel? But smells oily! I'm confused?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Mattackers wrote:Cheer bob, I did take the breather pipe off last night when I rev it there does seem to be a very fine mist puff for a brief second. No oil residue that I can see or feel? But smells oily! I'm confused?

Put that pipe from the cam cover into some form of can and block off where it went into the pipe from the air flow meter to turbo.

Then give it a try, go for a blast down the road and see if you have any smoke and check if you get any oil in the can when you get back.
Mattackers

Post by Mattackers »

This is my current setup and there is no oil in the can after 100 miles of driving
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Ok good best way to have the breather.

I would now take off and clean very well the pipe work from the turbo to the inlet manifold including the intercooler. If the old turbo had been putting oil into the inlet side you need to clean it out. Once clean it will be easy to see if the new turbo is putting oil into the pipe work. Is the new turbo new or second hand? It would be a good to check the oil return to the sump, if that is stopping the oil the turbo will let oil through its seals
Mattackers

Post by Mattackers »

I have already cleaned the pipes from the inlet side because a mate had a problem like this when his intercooler was full of oil. The turbo is second hand but is a turbo technics that was rebuilt only a few thousand miles ago. The return pipe sounds interesting! I'll be checking that.
Mattackers

Post by Mattackers »

Ok, so I've just gone out and removed the hose from the crank case and it stopped smoking. There was condensation in the hose that I can only guess was cauaing a lock in the pipe that causing a vacuum. It seems ok now. I'm really confused. My catch tank is fixed slightly higher than the engine top, would this cause it?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

It would help to have some photos of your catch tank.

So you have cleaned out the oil return pipe to the sump and now the smoke has stopped, great.
BrianUK
Premium Member

:)

Post by BrianUK »

Here is how I changed the valve stem seals without removing the head :)

Go to Homebase and buy 5m of nylon rope - 8mm dia.

Remove the spark plugs. Turn the engine over till one piston is at bottom dead center.

Thread the rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, making sure you keep hold of one end!

Turn the engine over SLOWLY - and by hand till it compresses the rope.

The compressed rope will hold the valves in place, and with a little patience, a ring spnner and a little leverage you will be able to compress the springs, remove the collets, and change the seals.

Repeat for the other 3 cylinders

:)
vinnyninja

Post by vinnyninja »

or you could have the piston at tdc and the valve will rest on the top of the piston .. and you can then bar it over to drop the stem slightly

then bar it back to raise it to fit your spring and collets back in

Return to “Mechanical”