[Mk2] [Turbo] Brake pedal travel

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Glenn_k

[Mk2] [Turbo] Brake pedal travel

Post by Glenn_k »

I recently switched the brake system (booster, master brake cylinder, calipers, brake lines, pads/discs) from my old car to my new one.
After bleeding the system, I took the car for a little spin. When I hit the brakes, the pedal travel is huge, but when I depress and press the pedal again quickly, the pedal is way up and the pedal travel is reduced to normal proportions. What could be causing this problem?
I think it might be air in the main brake cylinder, how about you?
Slarty

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Brake pedal travel

Post by Slarty »

Yeah it certainly sounds like air to me. Do you know the "correct" order in which to bleed the calipers?

If not, it's RNS/ROS/FNS/FOS. Basically work your way from the furthest caliper from the master cylinder to the nearest.

To be honest though, I've never found that it makes a difference but it's worth a try :)
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Glenn_k wrote:I think it might be air in the main brake cylinder, how about you?

Air somewhere in the system.
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

Bleeding has been done in the correct order
So, air in the system is most likely the problem. Could it be possible that the main brake cylinder is faulty? I bled the brakes with a friend and he told me to press the brake pedal while he undid the bleeding nipple in the caliper. I didn't want 'put the pedal to the metal' (so to speak), but he told me that this isn't a problem in mr2's as they have a plug in the main brake cylinder which prevents the piston from being pushed too far. Still, i'm scared that I ruined the main brake cylinder seals this way.
2tmike

Brakes

Post by 2tmike »

Pedal to the floor when bleeding isn't a problem.....

Return to “Mechanical”