JDM wheels

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

juliankv73

JDM wheels

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi,

I'm running 18" bbs lm's which frankly is doing my back in and further aggravating my back problem. I'll be advertising these in due course.

I've tried searching on imoc for websites that stock JDM wheels and am hitting a blank. 4 years ago, there was a good website that a few owners on here imported JDM wheels, not sure if from Japan or us? Can't find it tho..,

I'm looking for 17" JDM wheels. Can someone suggest a website that I can look to import some? I've looked on japandyno,..

Has anyone experience of any places tbey have imported jdm wheels or used any other websites??
Al-sw20

Re: JDM wheels

Post by Al-sw20 »

I really don't think a 17" wheel is going to be much better if you have back problems.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Al-sw20 wrote:I really don't think a 17" wheel is going to be much better if you have back problems.

I had 17"s on my previous car and whilst it's not ideal (better when in a different car!!) , it was manageable!

I've driven with, 15, 16, 17 and preferred the response with 17.

Anatomically, I have a long torso and shorter legs lol, so driving and my job (mental health nurse) doesn't help. But I love mr2's, hence returning after 4 years absence!

I will have recaro's so this will help my back, I just want to sort the handling

Any suggestions for websites or reliable websites or places people have bought from and had good experiences??
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

hey mate

cant vouch for these guys and theyr in the states but i do remember looking on here and they had some selection of wheels

www.vrwheels.com

vish
Nic

Post by Nic »

What's your budget?

Might be worth posting up some pics and sizes of your current wheels and see if anyone fancies a swap or part-ex. Also keep an eye on MR2's being advertised always worth asking the seller if they'd consider selling the wheels off separately.
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi,

Ive seen these JDM wheel, but cant see who manufactures them? The seller says Volk Racing engineering, but I cant see any identifying marks to reinforce this?

Can anyone identify this wheel?

Thanks Julian

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Nic wrote:What's your budget?

Might be worth posting up some pics and sizes of your current wheels and see if anyone fancies a swap or part-ex. Also keep an eye on MR2's being advertised always worth asking the seller if they'd consider selling the wheels off separately.

Wheels are BBS LM's in 18's.

Sizes are 225/35/18, 7.5j et35, 255/35/18, 9j et42 :thumleft:
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

they are stunning!

the original japanese stickers should say a date they were made and size in english...but over time the stickers can disappear.

go for them
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

vishpish wrote:they are stunning!

the original japanese stickers should say a date they were made and size in english...but over time the stickers can disappear.

go for them

Thanks, Ive bought them :thumleft:

JDM wheel, light as a feather!

Question is, will I need spigot rings?

Its been a long time since I bought tyres for an MR2, are the same sizes still agreed on?

Front 215/40/17 on 7j rim

Rear 245/35/17 on 8j rim!

Im not sure on tyres brands tho. The last tyres I bought 5 years ago fro toyo proxes T1R and before that Goodyear F1 GSD3

What tyre brands and sizes do people go for nowadays?

:-k
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Those wheels look a bit like blitz technospeeds but I think they were a splitrim?

Edit: You sure you dont wanna swap w my SP1's for those bbs? :oldtongue:
cosmos

JDM

Post by cosmos »

Camskill for best priced tyres the popular choices are still Toyo T1R, Falken 452, having looked on youtube Falken quality questionable, better tyre i have been advised is Vredestein Sessanta.
Spigot rings custom made alloy £65, nylon £25, or ebay plastic £5, look on ebay at hubcentric rings these are all coated alloy for £22 delivered from Taiwan if you size is not there go into shop of that seller where you will find correct size, the centre bore of the wheel is ??? and the brake hub spigot is 60.1mm.
Harold

Post by Harold »

juliankv73 wrote:
vishpish wrote:they are stunning!

go for them

Thanks, Ive bought them :thumleft:

JDM wheel, light as a feather!

Question is, will I need spigot rings?

Its been a long time since I bought tyres for an MR2, are the same sizes still agreed on?

Front 215/40/17 on 7j rim

Rear 245/35/17 on 8j rim!

Im not sure on tyres brands tho. The last tyres I bought 5 years ago fro toyo proxes T1R and before that Goodyear F1 GSD3

What tyre brands and sizes do people go for nowadays?

:-k

Tyre wise i'd go for 205/40 and 235/35, gives you better choice on the rears and 215/245 is a bit big for 7/8 inch rims.

I'd buy the continental sport contact 3s, a very good tyre all round, you could go for the cheaper falken 452 or toyo tr1, but the sport contact 3s are in another league.
Marf

Post by Marf »

AD08 would be my choice. I love mine. Far and away the best tyre I've used on the car, and I've used a few!
Harold

Post by Harold »

Marf wrote:AD08 would be my choice. I love mine. Far and away the best tyre I've used on the car, and I've used a few!

A bit of a compromised tyre though isn't it? I'm sure it's superb in the dry, but what about the wet, standing water and cold wintery conditions?

I'd love to try some, but I don't think i'd want such a focused tyre, unless it was a track car of course.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Harold wrote:
Marf wrote:AD08 would be my choice. I love mine. Far and away the best tyre I've used on the car, and I've used a few!

A bit of a compromised tyre though isn't it? I'm sure it's superb in the dry, but what about the wet, standing water and cold wintery conditions?

I'd love to try some, but I don't think i'd want such a focused tyre, unless it was a track car of course.

Not comprimised at all :)

They're rated to -10c

http://www.yokohamatire.com/assets/docs ... a_ad08.pdf

Important Care And Usage Instructions:
The ADVAN Neova AD08 was developed using high performance
compounds which become brittle at low temperatures, and therefore
should not be used in certain conditions. ADVAN Neova AD08 tires thus
must be stored or used only at temperatures at or above 14°F
(-10°C) to maintain performance characteristics and to avoid any
damage to the tire or injury to persons or property.

As for the wet weather performance, I fitted them mid April, and then it rained pretty solidly for 6 weeks. I expected to be really disapointed with the wet weather performance and be tip toeing around, but I was pleasantly surprised. More than pleasantly surprised.

They are utterly amazing in the wet. No hint of aquaplaning and there's gobs more lateral grip and grip under accelerating/braking in the wet compared to everything I've used before which includes

T1R
Yoko S-Drive
Yoko A-022
Falken FK452
Yoko A520
Yoko AD07

Moderate rain and I can plant it through first and second on low boost and the wheels don't spin up when the tyres are up to temp.

Seriously, they're fantastic.

The only downer for a daily car is the stiff sidewall, which does reduce ride comfort and increase tramlining. On the plus side though this does mean you feel everything the car is doing, the grip breaks away very predictably and controllably.

I was torn between these and the R1R, which I believe is what is currently on Julian's BBS LMs.

What swung the AD08 for me was both the low operating temp(R1R min temp is -1C I believe), the slightly deeper tread depth when new and the wear rate being lower. :)

I can't wait to get them on track and see what they can do, which hopefully I'll be doing next month at Bedford Autodrome.

I've also used Yoko A032 and A048 on my old Charade GTxx, they would be what you call comprimised for a daily tyre. Not that it stopped me running them for 2 years! :lol:
Last edited by Marf on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

vishpish wrote:hey mate

cant vouch for these guys and theyr in the states but i do remember looking on here and they had some selection of wheels

www.vrwheels.com

vish

That's where I found my KS-05's :thumleft:
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

Awesome!

I'll second Marf on the AD08s. Now on my second set albeit on my daily - a Lupo Gti. At £82 a tyre for me theyr pretty cheap compared tho.

Heres my 50p

Dry - Warm conditions - They are unbelievably grippy.

Wet - The worst rain, flooding, wet weather - Extremely predictable. Yeah ok its a fwd car but going from running absolute shitters on my winter wheels, they are just unbelievable. I only really realised this by mistake whilst doing a wee back road blast and the rain started coming on heavy. Understeer is hard to find.

Dirt on the roads - Went to Crail about a year ago. On the way up the roads turn into narrow country/farm roads. Come round a chicane doing a comfortable speed well under the limit around 40 and turned into the right, straightened up for about 50m and then in to the left at which point the whole car just started a four wheel drift - managed to catch it, and caught the resulting snapback. Never ever will I take that road again as it was full of farm poo but had it not been for the tyres I'd have been off the road.

Expensive but 100% worth it
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

shame no more BBS's, but i would go with a 245/40 at the rear on the new wheel, theyll feel and look alot chunkier than a 35 at the back.

40 up an front and 35 rear will look odd, not much in it, but a 40 at the back will look alot better imo.
Marf

Post by Marf »

jimGTS wrote:shame no more BBS's, but i would go with a 245/40 at the rear on the new wheel, theyll feel and look alot chunkier than a 35 at the back.

40 up an front and 35 rear will look odd, not much in it, but a 40 at the back will look alot better imo.

205/40 = 82mm high

235/35 = 82.25mm high
245/35 = 85.75mm high
245/40 = 98mm high

So if you want the tyre heights to look the same from to back 205/40 + 235/35 is the closest.

Standard tyres are 205/55 and 225/50 to keep rolling radius as near to identical as possible front to back.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

whilst i understand the theory, having gone from 245/35 to 245/40 on 17s, theres more comfort, and a much more pleasing look to 40s on the back which i personally liked on my old rev2.
yes the 245/40 will be a little higher than a 215/40, but that look isnt a bad thing imo.

its a probably a preference thing.
id go with 215/40 and 245/40 if it were me.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”