big red calipers

We all need a little help or parts for our cars from time to time. Let us know who has helped. Please read the sticky before posting.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2targa

big red calipers

Post by mr2targa »

just a word of warning to all who need calipers.

ordered a pair of front calipers for my rev 3 turbo from big red
super fast delivery and looked good
problems later on that year when it came to fit the braided brake hoses, the bleed nipples are cheap quality alloy of some sort and are seized in.
just checked there t/c's and they exclude the bleed nipples.

so have to replace the calipers again as i cant get a replacement.
just thought you should all know as it was a costly mistake.
alanmr2turbo

Re: big red calipers

Post by alanmr2turbo »

or take calipers to a garage and get them to remove the siezed or broken bleed nipple.
mr2targa

Post by mr2targa »

the problem is the cheep alloy reacting with the steel housing and seizes solid. i could have drilled and tapped the hole but the risk of contaminating the caliper. i was not prepared to take the risk
2tmike

calipers

Post by 2tmike »

might be worth a phone call to them though...I've found them a good company to deal with in the past and maybe they'll repair for you with a bit of negotiation?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Calipers and nipples supplied by them as a package? Failed within a year?

I wouldn't care about T&Cs, (in fact, excluding them tells me they know of a design weakness), i'd be writing to them regarding "fit for purpose" and if no joy, seeing what a small claims court judge would think.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Just a side note, try brakes international. I had rear calipers which had a problem winding back, and nearly 2 years after they supplied them they changed them FOC. 8-[ (In fairness they'd had very little use, but still I was impressed!)
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Calipers and nipples supplied by them as a package? Failed within a year?

I wouldn't care about T&Cs, (in fact, excluding them tells me they know of a design weakness), i'd be writing to them regarding "fit for purpose" and if no joy, seeing what a small claims court judge would think.

+1

If they tell you to go and read their T&C's tell them to go and read "The sale of goods act" :thumleft:

Return to “Trader Feedback”