Uprated Alternator???

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Road_Rebel

Uprated Alternator???

Post by Road_Rebel »

Hello guys,

I have just finished my speaker set up (for now :P) in my car and according to the spec sheets of my amps, speakers and sub, i am pumping through a lot of power so i think its time to start looking for a "better" alternator. (for those audio heads out there, yes, i will be doing the big 3 around the time of change also!)

My question is: Can you buy an uprated / more powerful alternator off the shelf or use one out of another car that will bolt straight on?
vtecpower

Re: Uprated Alternator???

Post by vtecpower »

Road_Rebel wrote:Hello guys,

I have just finished my speaker set up (for now :P) in my car and according to the spec sheets of my amps, speakers and sub, i am pumping through a lot of power so i think its time to start looking for a "better" alternator. (for those audio heads out there, yes, i will be doing the big 3 around the time of change also!)

My question is: Can you buy an uprated / more powerful alternator off the shelf or use one out of another car that will bolt straight on?

If you have a NA MR2 then they have a 70amp alternator .... A tubby uses a 90amp alternator they are larger in size but will fit...

Tcb sell 100amp alternators or if you want to hard core you can order a 130amp alternator off the american eBay

But before you buy any check to see if your mr2 uses a Round or Oval plug on the alternator :thumleft:
Road_Rebel

Re: Uprated Alternator???

Post by Road_Rebel »

Thats great information, thank you for your reply!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”