Issues again

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Issues again

Post by Draven »

Hi folks..

I'm pondering what is going on. Today I was driving into work and my car sounds like a rotary engine so possibly running on 3 cylinders. Now I thought this may be related to the huge amount of rain..

I thought it could be my turbo. I covered my engine bay with a bin bag while it was chucking it down just in case water was getting into the electrics. Now I just went for a drive to tesco and back about 2 miles.

on the way there same as before sounded like a rotary engine (actually a nice noise out of the Nur) With no desernable power on the way back i was driving and every now and then full power was returning and the car would launch forward then cut back to the rotary noise.

Now i'm thinking this is possibly electrical?

Just want peoples thoughts really. :pray:
vtecpower

Re: Issues again

Post by vtecpower »

Draven wrote:Hi folks..

I'm pondering what is going on. Today I was driving into work and my car sounds like a rotary engine so possibly running on 3 cylinders. Now I thought this may be related to the huge amount of rain..

I thought it could be my turbo. I covered my engine bay with a bin bag while it was chucking it down just in case water was getting into the electrics. Now I just went for a drive to tesco and back about 2 miles.

on the way there same as before sounded like a rotary engine (actually a nice noise out of the Nur) With no desernable power on the way back i was driving and every now and then full power was returning and the car would launch forward then cut back to the rotary noise.

too me sounds like a weak ignition part
Draven

Post by Draven »

vtecpower wrote:
Draven wrote:Hi folks..

too me sounds like a weak ignition part

Hmmm

Well i've recently replaced

rotor
Dizzy
sparkies.

So maybe its the coil pack that is the issue. Can't think of much else could be the leads I guess.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

So could be ignition leads or coil

Try coil first :thumleft:
Draven

Post by Draven »

vtecpower wrote:So could be ignition leads or coil

Try coil first :thumleft:

Yep will do. Its stopped raining now and i'm about to finish work so i'll see how it goes on the way home. :mrgreen:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Coil's probably cracked and letting water in.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Draven

Post by Draven »

toxo wrote:Coil's probably cracked and letting water in.

Sounds about right trying to get another one.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

It's worth taking it off and cleaning it up / checking for cracks. Given your car's had a coolant explosion at some point it'd be worth checking for rust as it grounds through the bracket.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Nic

Post by Nic »

Sounds like it's only firing on 3 cylinders, first check the HT leads are all secure, could be as simple as a loose lead. It may also be water in the electrics given the weather recently, dry everything off and spray with WD40.

You could also try pulling the plugs and seeing if you can identify which cylinder it is, the electrodes on one of the plugs will be wet with fuel if it's not been firing.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”