inner cv boots - how hard to change

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jasongtr

inner cv boots - how hard to change

Post by jasongtr »

as the title on a rev3 turbo

both inner boots need changing, i assume the cv needs removing off the shaft, unless you can get those super stretchy ones
badgerbob

Re: inner cv boots - how hard to change

Post by badgerbob »

me personally...the worst job you can do on an mr2 :evil: purely as its messy and fiddly as hell getting the cv cage back together (if the joint falls apart when removing the boot.)

in terms of workload though theres not a lot to it:

gearbox oil drained
wheel off
hub disconnected and pulled out
hex bolts on cv removed
split cv and install new boot
reverse of above installing new oil :D
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

just getting the cv joint off i didnt know as ive never pulled a boot off, so its held in with hex bolts onto the shaft then?

cheers
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Sorry bud i probably havnt explained that very well, the boot itself is held on by 2 steel bands which wrap around the shafts (your see these clear enough), to fit the new boots though they need to slide down the driveshaft (from the splined end) but because the cv joint is on the shaft you will need to seperate it into 2 by removing the 6 bolts

with these removed and the cv case split apart you will then have access to a circlip on the inside of the joint holding the inner race in place, remove this and then you can slide the new boot on...then re assemble it all...

If that doesnt help let us know and ill pm you my number to talk you through it :thumleft:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

cheers, that makes perfect sense, does sound like a messy `orrible job, might go hunting for some replacement turbo lsd driveshafts.

Thanks very much for that
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I've got some bits of non ABS driveshaft about if that's any use. I think both inner CVs are in pieces though...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”