[Mk2] [Turbo] Ringlands?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tsia

[Mk2] [Turbo] Ringlands?

Post by Tsia »

Hi guys,

I've always been told that 'if the car starts to sound like an Impreza, it's likely that the ringlands have gone.'

I don't know how accurate a statement that is and I'm also always in the drivers seat when the car is on. Today, I was outside of it and it did sound a little bit... burbly, if that's a word. How do I check easily for ringland failure etc? (I've searched, but to no avail)

It has a de-cat and aftermarket twin 4.5 exhaust, so it could just be that it's loud off the bat...

:-k
mark239

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Ringlands?

Post by mark239 »

compression test would be a good start!
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Yep compression test is a good start, along with a leak down test. Usual signs are (apart from the noise) excessive oil usage, excessive crank case pressure usually evident in the form of oil coming out of the DV or in some cases all over the engine bay.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Hm, MOT-er did say there was an oil leak from somewhere, but he wasn't sure where :-k

I've taken off the cap with the car warm and there was no vapour, is that something that 'sometimes' happens, when the ringlands go?
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

probably an over reaction. Mine sounds very burbly and i know its fine. Someone once commented "does it always sound like its misfiring?"

If you have no reference then you cant know something has changed.
vtecpower

Post by vtecpower »

dantheman wrote:probably an over reaction. Mine sounds very burbly and i know its fine. Someone once commented "does it always sound like its misfiring?"

If you have no reference then you cant know something has changed.

+1
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Certain exhaust systems highten the 'burble' or scooby sound. I had a Hayward & Scott exhaust a while back, which made an awesome burble.

If the engine itself sounds like a scooby, then it could be a cracked piston - although doubtful. When mine went pop on the rollers, it sounded exactly like a scooby, and upon stripping the engine down, piston no.3 came out in 3 bits !!!!

Although, i'm pretty sure if it was a ringland or piston, you'd know about it. You'd be burning oil, and it'd be chuffing like a steam train from the exhaust !

Return to “Mechanical”