Buckled SSRs :(

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

A.BLAKE

Buckled SSRs :(

Post by A.BLAKE »

Just got my new wheels delivered today, they looked fine and fit perfect but when i took them to have new tyres fitted and balanced the guy said both of the fronts are slightly buckled :cry:

On the up side i only paid £180 as the seller just listed them as "toyota supra alloys" and they are actually 3 piece 17" SSR gartmaiers 7.5 and 8.5

So i could stick em back on ebay and get my money or have them refurbished.... Not really sure what to do yet... They need refurbishing any way as the paint is chiped and lips slightly scuffed found a place nearby that would do them for £400 straitening and full refurbishment..

These are the wheels dont have a pic of them on the car yet but they look amazing even in the poor condition...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320896522286? ... _500wt_715
2mad

Re: Buckled SSRs :(

Post by 2mad »

Wheels look great :thumleft:, I dont think I would be able to part with them. At the end of the day if you get them professionally repared and refirbed for £400 you will have a set of ssr gartmaiers good as new for £580 not a bad price really.
Or to cut cost you could get the fronts straightened professionally and do the rebirb your self.

How to repolish rims guide . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxxG4A4OgHI

Kev.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Alternatively the ebay listing says no damage, and they clearly are, so you have a case to get your money back.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Man SSR realy dont know how to make a strong wheel
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

hmmm think i am leaning towards getting them fixed i figured if i sell my rotas that will give me back some of refurb money and i they will look amazing with a full refurb, plus they fit perfectly... Really dont want cheap wheels on the car and these are niiice rims...
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

A.BLAKE wrote:hmmm think i am leaning towards getting them fixed i figured if i sell my rotas that will give me back some of refurb money and i they will look amazing with a full refurb, plus they fit perfectly... Really dont want cheap wheels on the car and these are niiice rims...

I'd be careful with them, I had the front two of mine refurbed and it didnt take long for one of the lips to slightly bend. Doesnt help that its speedhump city where I live either..
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Ahh yes speedbump city, luke did mention that SSRs are very soft not really what you would expect from such an expensive wheel..

I'd be careful with them, I had the front two of mine refurbed and it didnt take long for one of the lips to slightly bend. Doesnt help that its speedhump city where I live either..

Yeah just been researching this and they are apparently nicknamed "SSR-Super soft rims!" #-o

But they are beautiful wheels... Hmmmm Also thinking maybe have them refurbished then put them up for sale for the around a £1000 and look for some volks or something...
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Out of curiosity, how much would it cost to have the fronts straightened.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Well the company i found is in central london, and they say its £60 a rim to have them straightened or £400 for a complete refurb of all 4. You could maybe get it done cheaper, but they are close and it saves having to get couriers etc..

www.fawheels.co.uk
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

2mad that is a nice car mate... How much did you pay for the blitz, they suite that car perfectly!
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Cheers mate :thumleft:. I payed £400 + postage for them :-$ (from the rotary club), I probably could have got a set cheaper if I had waited a bit longer and kept an eye on ebay and forum clasifieds, but I had been after a set for ages&ages&ages :cyclops: and just had to have them lol :eye: .

If it was me I would have the fronts straightened and if it wasnt to expensive have the outer lip on the wheels polished to a mirror finish =P~.
Fawheels seem to do a good job, I grabbed these pics from there site . .

The centers I would do myself but I quite like jobs like that O:).

Kev.
Last edited by 2mad on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

A.BLAKE wrote:Ahh yes speedbump city, luke did mention that SSRs are very soft not really what you would expect from such an expensive wheel..

Yeah just been researching this and they are apparently nicknamed "SSR-Super soft rims!" #-o

But they are beautiful wheels... Hmmmm Also thinking maybe have them refurbished then put them up for sale for the around a £1000 and look for some volks or something...

Lol I never realy researched into it much, although I was using them as summer wheels the car was getting used every day at the time. I think they would have been allright if I wasnt doing such mega mileage on them at the time.

I had the fronts done by wheels in motion, or another company that they send the damn things over to but the finish on the lip went to crap as soon as it rained even when I bloody obsessively polished the damn things.

If you do get em done def post em here because at some point I wanna get mine redone. :thumleft:
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

£400!!!! :mrgreen: .... Are they 18s?

Dont really have anywhere to paint rims which is nice and dust free as i would like to do it myself... Fawheels do seem pretty good though and they are close which makes things easy..
Been looking at them on the car and feel they have to stay...

2mad

Post by 2mad »

17's. . 8j front offset 35 + 3mm spacer, 9j rear offset 38 + 5mm spacer soon to be a 10mm.

The new wheels look good mate 8) . . what have you decided then, bit of a tidy up or full refurb :-k.
To be honest they look in pretty good condition in the pic you posted.

Kev.
Last edited by 2mad on Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Definitely go for the full refurb you cant see in the pic but the paint is bubbled and flaking and the dishes are dull with a few scratches... Also i think i want a darker shade of gold... If its going to be done it needs to be done properly.. Never seen these wheels on a MR2 before so at least it will be rare..
2mad

Post by 2mad »

That will look awesome :mrgreen:. Looking forward to seeing them finished.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”