[Mk2] [Generic] DIY Alloy refurb/repair

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

[Mk2] [Generic] DIY Alloy refurb/repair

Post by Racer7 »

Hello,

Just wondered if there was an idiots guide to refurbing alloys (emphasis on the idiot part).

I've now after two years of ownership starting putting bits n pieces on my car. One thing I need to do is sort out my wheels.

Just wondered if this was home repairable or if it looks to be too damaged? The rim itself seems fine and round. Just this chunk that is the problem. The rest seems standard light kerbing.

They're split rims so at least being able to seperate them out will make life a little easier.

Here's some pics of the damage. Holler if I need to show some more.

wheel pic 1

wheel pic 2

Oh also - for you London an Surrey boys any suggestions for a good wheel balancing/fitting place?

Advice and some diy examples would be awesome.

I'm hoping the cost element is more in labour rather than equipment and skills...
Nic

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] DIY Alloy refurb/repair

Post by Nic »

If you search for 'wheel refurbish' on youtube there are quite a few videos which may be of help.
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

www.fawheels.co.uk taking my SSRs there next week..
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

Will be interested to see what they come back like (and how they went).

I'm hoping to do a diy job. But my main concern is whether the pic I posted is considered to be beyond a DIY job.

Let us know how your one goes. BTW how did you decide on this particular company?
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

both those can be diy repaired, you'll need to file the burrs back and then fill with chemical metal, shape that with a file then go through the usual prep and filling routine as per painting anything else

chris
A.BLAKE

Post by A.BLAKE »

Picked that company because they are very close to me and seem to be pretty good. Got 2 slightly buckled fronts #-o

Return to “Modifications”