[Mk2] [Turbo] Adjustable pulleys on Rev3 cams.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

[Mk2] [Turbo] Adjustable pulleys on Rev3 cams.

Post by RyanRs »

Just wondering if anyone has done this and sucessfully made any gains from playing with the adv/retard of the stock rev3 cams? I find my power drops off quite a lot toward redline and im looking for ways to keep the power up for longer with final intent to have a redline of 8500. I know some 264 duration high lift cams are ultimately the answer but they cost a bomb and if i can get away with verniers on stock cams then that will do me fine!

..oh, whislt im here might aswell ask, how much low end driveability do you loose with a 264 cam upgrade? and do you notice much turbo lag increase?

thanks.
craig_mr2_mk1

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Adjustable pulleys on Rev3 cams.

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

When Ryan mapped my car last year he told me to fit a vernier pulley too the exhaust cam only, The inlet is already at its best on the stock pulley. I can't say for sure how much my spool increased by but there was a increase on my GT35 sized turbo. As for power drop off, my power curve is horizontal at 8200rpm and is showing no signs of dropping off!
The reason I stuck with the stock Rev 3 cams is because I wanted to retain low end power and drivability.
Moo

Post by Moo »

You might be interested in this Ryan.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=161679

http://atsracing.net/Parts/Details/E-ATSCAMGEARS

They say they made 15hp and 15lb torque on a 3S-GTE with stock cams by retarding the exhaust cam by 6 degrees.

Was thinking of buying these cam gears myself but should probably get forged pistons first.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Craig, do you have a copy of your dyno that you could upload? what was your peak bhp and what rpm? I would also like to keep with the stock cams for the same reasons, and also i feel a 35r is laggy enough!

Moo, cheers for that link mate! 15hp/tq would bring me up to 520 / 436lbft at my current boost level :P so add another half bar of boost to that and i should break 600! might ask on the USA forum to see if anyone else has retarded the exhaust cam.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Virtually all of our cars fitted with adjustable cam pulleys have the exhaust cam retarded by 6 degrees. Helps spool up.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Nice! Thats what i need. Peter, dont suppose you have a single second hand Adj pulley to sell?

Also, a question about fitting them / timing them up, Do Adj pulleys have a locator pin like the stock pulleys do? Can i simply rotate the timing belt till all the timing marks are aligned, whip off the tensioner, swap over the exhaust pulley for the vernier one, then re-check timing marks and re-fit tensioner?

Iirc the use of a timing wheel is only required when installing aftermarket camshafts? -however, having never had to use a timing wheel before, i cannot remember its exact purpose???
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

RyanRs wrote:Nice! Thats what i need. Peter, dont suppose you have a single second hand Adj pulley to sell?

Actually, believe it or not, i think i have. I'll check and PM you.

RyanRs wrote:Do Adj pulleys have a locator pin like the stock pulleys do? Can i simply rotate the timing belt till all the timing marks are aligned, whip off the tensioner, swap over the exhaust pulley for the vernier one, then re-check timing marks and re-fit tensioner?

Yes.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Ahh nice one thanks pete! Dont want anything fancy or expensive btw, just something that will do the job! Its going to be hidden behind the cam cover after all :D
mr2targa

Post by mr2targa »

just to check i am going to replace mine for adjustable pulleys on my rev 3 turbo. exhaust -6 and intake 0?
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

mr2targa wrote:just to check i am going to replace mine for adjustable pulleys on my rev 3 turbo. exhaust -6 and intake 0?

Good for most setups
mr2targa

Post by mr2targa »

mostly stock just intake, exhaust and inter cooler @ 1bar

plus thanks for the quick response

Return to “Modifications”