Temp Gage stopped working

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nitric4k

Temp Gage stopped working

Post by nitric4k »

ok guys can you help me im new here so first i wanna say HI to everyone!!!

secondly my temp gage has stopped working since i took my car in have the clutch done. is tehre any checks i can do see if he has just forgot reconnect it? or is there any way i can fix this myself? im not too technically minded but i would rather fix it myself i beleive the sensor is on the engine lid? how can i test it? at the moment my gage is just staying at zero on the dashboard gage. any help would be good. as my engine is getting warm its just not showing on the gage!!
Dame

Re: Temp Gage stopped working

Post by Dame »

It is likely that the wire to the temp sender has been dislodged during the clutch change. The sender for the temp gauge isn't in the engine lid (that's the sensor for the intercooler fan). The gauge sender is in an alloy water pipe near the engine block. From memory I think it is on the left hand side (if you are looking at the car from the back) and is mounted horizontally just in front of the distributer cap. There should be a single wire comming of it. If this has been disconnected or is loose, the gauge won't work, so check this first. If there is nothing wrong with the connection, the sender might be faulty, so try a new one. If it still doesn't work, then you probably have a fault in the loom somewhere and will need to rewire the circuit. That would be a worst case scenario!

PS This info is from my Rev 2 Turbo, you don't specify your car so the location may be different.
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

its a rev 1 3sfe engine m8 the slow one. i want a tubby not fair :(

i found the sensors m8 there all connect n all the wires seem ok, only trouble i got is there is 3 of them, 1 is completely different then you have a grey one, but i think its the green one if i unplug it while the engines on i get a yellow light on the dashboard. i tried joining the 2 connection with wire which somone told me it should make the temp gage go all the way up but it didnt do anything.

should i try replacing the sender next? all the fans aree still kicking in when the engines hot, radiator n engine bay fan, which really confused me.
Dame

Post by Dame »

Which yellow light do you get? If it has a picture of an engine on it, you haven't disconnected the sender but another sensor on the engine that links to the ECU. Unfortunately I don't have any info for the 3SFE, however, I will take a look at my Parent's RAV4 tomorrow which has that engine and see if I can find the sender. To test the gauge, you will need to remove the dash (take all of the wire out and withdraw it from the car!), locate the two input terminals, and connect a 9 volt battery accross them. If the gauge begins to move, it is ok. If it doesn't, it is broken. Assuming the gauge works, I would get a new sender and see if this fixes it. If it doesn't you probably have a wiring fault, and will need to check/rewire the circuit.

The reason why both the intercooler and radiator fans still work is because they don't run off the temp sender, the intercooler operates off the sensor in the engine lid, the radiator fan off a sender installer in the radiator at the front of the car.
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

just been looking at an online manual and i think its the green sender on the engine, its a grey one i remove when the light comes on, think ill go scrappy tomorrow buy some just to test, if they work ill buy sum new ones, dont fancy rippin the dash apart long day tomorrow will be otherwise lol m8 you have been a star, if you could check that in the mornin for me that would be quality.
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

ok fixed the damn problem, bloody garage had left a wire off underneath the thermastat thing.. cant even see it and the wire was hidden away bloody toss pots, either by mistake or not, this is one reason i hate using garages :(

Return to “Mechanical”