Alloy wheel refurbishment - ideas?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

munter

Alloy wheel refurbishment - ideas?

Post by munter »

Hi,

My car has Work RSBs on it. I like the wheels but they aren't in great condition. They haven't been kerbed at all but they do bad corrosion on the rims. This is what they look like.

What I would like to do is this. Basically keep polished chrome on the rims and paint the spokes satin black.

I've emailed Lepsons (on the recommendation of a few members here) but they've said because of the shape of the wheels they can't get the painted black spokes and the polished rims. They can paint the wheels all black however. I don't mind the all black look but it isnt really what I want.

Having checked online the Work RSBs were available with the painted spokes from the factory but it's going to be hard to find a set suitable and in good condition. Maybe even impossible.

Do I have any other options? Are there refurb companies that could do what I want or am I going to have to suck up the full black look?

cheers
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Alloy wheel refurbishment - ideas?

Post by Lauren »

Maybe try elsewhere other than Lepsons?

Or DIY it?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Try a couple of other wheel refurbers, I used a place in Milton Keynes called Pristine and was happy with them.

Second option, get Lepsons/other refurb to do them polished, and just paint the centres yourself?
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

It wouldn't be a massive job to do. Mask off the lips good and propper, sand prime spray and laquer the centers, and then get some sandpaper on the lips staring off at a medium grit and working up to super fine. Then after give them a buff with some autosol on a dremel or other rotary buffer, and then rimwax the hell out of them to stop them corroding!
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
munter

Post by munter »

Alex I had thought about a DIY job and it would certainly save a lot of cash for other things *rubs hands together and plans respray* however I don't want to mess them up. Given they're worth around £400-500 based on a quick google search I don't want to totally ruin them.

I'll visit a couple of local places and get some opinions before making a decision.

Thanks to a very kind member over on the SC forum I now have a set of original Pepperpots. They are "ok" but need refurbed too. I had planned to put these on the car while the RSBs were getting sorted. I haven't had a good look yet but am I right in thinking the wheel nuts for the RSBs are different to the Pepperpots?

If so does anyone have a set they'd like to sell me for beer money, or even loan while I get this done? Would be much appreciated.

Ta
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Most places you can send your wheels away to and they'll do em for £40-80 a wheel depending on what you want done to them.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Some mobile guys will do it even cheaper I think the lowest I have seen was £18 a wheel. Problem is though, that's only painting the dave one colour, no detailing, the tyre dosnt get removed and any scuffs and scratchers are just sanded flat to the lowest point.
I would give it a go yourself, if you get it right you have saved yourself cash if you get it wrong, you got to pay for anyway.
With regard to nuts, they could use tapered ones (such as the expensive rays dura-minium ((sp.)) ones) which cost a small fortune to get if
You can get hold of them. Other options could be a google search for "tuner style nuts" of which some are tapered.
Alex

SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

My MK3 wheels were blasted, primed obviously and sprayed sparkle silver for £40 a wheel - they were removed from the tyres too.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

Got my Rays, powder coated for free though work :)
Alex

elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

pk_090 wrote:Got my Rays, powder coated for free though work :)
Alex

What colour Alex ?

Rays are forged IIRC

Have you weighed one without the tyre ?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Rays are forged but you can powdercoat them no problems at all (I did it with some 18" TE37s which are still pristine over 2 years later).

Chap you could always have a go yourself. I'd never done a set of wheels before I attempted the ones on my MK3. They didn't come out too badly. :mrgreen:

pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

They are too heavy for your car Peter :mrgreen:
Yeah they are old CV Pro's made in '92. I found them sitting there corroding away in a scrapyard. £paid £50 for them and with 4 spacers too. I had them acid dipped and blasted before i sent them to be coated so they were a little pitted and the powder coat hasn't filled these pits so im going to have to filler and touch those bits up. They are splits too so look cool! I didn't have the balls to spray them such a bright colour like T did.
Alex

jimi

Post by jimi »

I got my MK3 wheels powder coated locally in Glenrothes, £35 a wheel :D that was beadblasted, powder coated then done with powder coat lacquer

Alfiembra got his MK1a triangles done at the same place and he was really pleased with the results
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

Certainly did and certainly was :D

BTW my son is a panel beater and refurbs wheels, he did a few of his mates recently with polished lips and painted centres. I'll see if he's got any pictures you can check out.

Alan

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”