First start of the day problems rev3 turbo engine

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Poker Face

First start of the day problems rev3 turbo engine

Post by Poker Face »

On my first start of the day the car doesn't always start. I have replaced dizzy cap ignition coil and ht leads. The battery is pretty new and holding charge and is correct spec. I have also replaced the coolant sensor as I believe this controls fuel via the ecu.
It is getting stupid now as it is getting on my neighbours nerves first thing in the morning.

Also when it starts it idles okay but when throttle is applied stutters and is lumpy for a minute until warm(that is why I thought coolant sensor).

Any ideas would be appreciated, many thanks.
Jim
dantheman

Re: First start of the day problems rev3 turbo engine

Post by dantheman »

Cold start injector timer switch or the injector itself?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

dantheman wrote:Cold start injector timer switch or the injector itself?

Not on a rev3.

I would be looking at your TPS, idle control valve and maybe air leaks round the vacuum piping for the FPR. Any stored error codes?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Baker

Post by Baker »

coil
Moo

Post by Moo »

Was it a new coil or second hand?
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

The coil is brand new and I am starting to doubt it. I had left the original mechanically connected snd the new one cable tyed in place for diagnostics. Swapped back over today and seemed better. It aldo started first time this afternoon from cold. So hopefully it is sorted. I will know for sure tomorrow.

I forgot to mention I have an aem ems so I cannot look at codes the in the normal manner with a paper clip. My ics is unplugged but that is because of the ems I assume? Please correct me if I'm wrong .

Thanks
Jim
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Poker Face wrote:My ics is unplugged but that is because of the ems I assume? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Assuming you mean ISC, all engines need some way of metering air when the throttle is shut, so AFAIK, all ECUs use an ISC of some sort.

Maybe yours has an aftermarket ISC elsewhere in the engine bay - i'd check with whoever installed the AEM.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

Lol yes that was what I meant. Phone typo.
I will ask him tomorrow.
Thanks
Jim
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

I emailed James earlier from JD modified he said leave the plug dissconected. I attached a pic of said connector incase it was something else and I was mistaken.

I hope I get this sorted soon or I am going to have to bring my boring audi A6 off the sub bench. To make it worst its sn avant. Its like driving a bus.

Fingers crossed for the first start in the morning. :pray:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Poker Face wrote:The coil is brand new and I am starting to doubt it. I had left the original mechanically connected snd the new one cable tyed in place for diagnostics. Swapped back over today and seemed better. It aldo started first time this afternoon from cold.

Doesn't the coil earth through the mounting screws?
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Slarty wrote:
Poker Face wrote:The coil is brand new and I am starting to doubt it. I had left the original mechanically connected snd the new one cable tyed in place for diagnostics. Swapped back over today and seemed better. It aldo started first time this afternoon from cold.

Correct.

OK, so you have an aftermarket AEM ECU. Still don't know what ISC James at 3S, sorry, JDM has used :?

Has this problem recently started happening, or since ECU was installed? If recently, then obviously problem most likely lies with the deterioration of a component within your engine bay. If since AEM was installed, then it's back to James @ JDM for a tweek to the start map.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Slarty wrote:

Correct.

Well I'm just thinking that if the original coil was faulty, cable tieing a replacement in place isn't going to prove anything as it can't earth properly so might well display the same symptoms. Just a guess.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

You may well be right but I thought the coil gets its earth from the black cable of the two pin Lt lead. I have earthed it now so I will find out in the morning. Car just started fine on both coils. It was pants again this morning.

I will post a pic later incase I have identified the wrong component. I had asked in a previous thread before I had photo bucket and couldn't post a picture.

Thanks
Jim

I'm trying to think how long I have had the problem, I think it has been gradual.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

Just tried starting the car from cold at work, same detail as before but this time I had someone with me and was able to test the spark and it was good.
My friend is more mechanically minded than me and he thought it sounded like a fuel issue.

Once the car had been running for a minute or so it was really good, but when it eventually started it would stall if I gave it any throttle.

Any thoughts please? Before I take it to get the start up map looked at.

Thanks
Jim
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

Not that anyone cares but I turned the csr over that many times this morning it should have flooded the engine but instead started. I am thinking I have a fuel supply issue on start. Maybe not enough power to the fuel pump on start, is there anyway of testing this?

Jim
Baker

Post by Baker »

Its not that people dont care, this is something that is difficult to diagnose on a keyboard.
take it into a garage asap.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

A fair point, just felt down a little this morning. There always seems to be something that pops up to spoil it. The joy of having a 19 year old car.
Started using the old battle bus today, until I can get it looked at.
Regards
Jim

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”