Boot mount intercooler

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Glenn_k

Re: Boot mount intercooler

Post by Glenn_k »

2mad wrote:It sounds like your thinking along the same lines as me with safer inlet temps being my goal i've hit 50c with my smic.

I ended up getting a st205 chargecooler kit. It was the amount of intercooler pipe work that put me off the bmic as im only running a ct20b.

I picked up a chargecooler, pump, rad, st185 throttle sock and expation tank for around 100 quid on ebay.

Just need a few more bits to install, hopefully all in about 60 quid should cover it.

Again just a thought.

Kev.

I'm going down the st205 cc road as well, but i'm struggling as to where to put my heat exchanger. I don't want to mount it on top of the engine, because that will warm the coolant up significantly, taking away the effect of this system. My other option would be to mount the air filter lower and the core above it or to mount the core in the boot (but i'm not to keen on all the pipework).
What are your ideas on this?
Snulty

Post by Snulty »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... 9c9c0e3b07

Always loved how this setup looks..
2mad

Post by 2mad »

The plan is to fit the gt4 heat exchanger upfront in front of the cars radiator.
This will give the best possible airflow to the heat exchanger + the added bonus of the cars rad fans pulling air through when Im in slow moving traffic.

Kev.
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

Sorry, I was actually talking about the chargecooler core, not the heat exchanger :lol: . I will also put the heat exchanger in front of my radiator.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Ow lol :lol: . I'm fitting the charge cooler on top of the engine with lots of insolation between the two.
I have seen a white st205 charge cooler boot mounted, I cant remember where though :oops:

If you start a new charge cooler thread I would be happy to swap install info with you, I will be making a start in the next few days if the weather gets a bit better 8-[ .

Kev.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

Snulty wrote:http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... 9c9c0e3b07

Always loved how this setup looks..

Yeah I like that one.

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
j0ns

Post by j0ns »

Why would you mount a Celica CC anywhere but on top of the engine? Surely the whole point of using the Celica one is its simplicity.

If you're going to the trouble of re routing pipework you might as well get a better core, lets face it the Celica Core is pretty crap compared to other Cores and Coolers available and generally the first thing they get rid of.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

the celica core is good for around 400bhp but it does suffer from heatsoak as its mounted above the engine.
i have just redone my BMIC still some work left though. will get some pics up later.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”