Coolant Cap question

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Draven

Coolant Cap question

Post by Draven »

So as people may or may not have guessed I am overhauling my cooling system. I'm wondering what difference having a say 1.3 bar coolant cap would make in comparison to the standard 0.8 bar one.

Obviously I realise that it does and the reason for it but i'm just wondering what difference it makes

??
Slarty

Re: Coolant Cap question

Post by Slarty »

At normal (atmospheric) pressure water boils at 100 degrees C. If you increase the pressure you increase the boiling point.
pta

Post by pta »

I was told that REV5 has 1.1 bar radiator cap. What would be the spare part number for it?

My MR2 boils when I shut it down even if I let it idle and cool down before turning it off. Cooling system is bled so I thought to buy a new radiator cap...
4ndee

Post by 4ndee »

Mine boils after shut down and I have a 1.3 bar trd cap
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Obviously increasing the pressure the radiator cap opens at increases the pressure your cooling system is being held to, so you'd be putting an extra .5 BAR into a 20yr old radiator/heater pipes/HFH...
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Where's the best place to get a standard 0.9 bar cap? Camskill do them for 5 quid but if genuine Toyota ones aren't much more I will get one of those instead.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Genuine Toyota ones are around £13-£15, and they *usually* have to be ordered in (2 days).
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

I suffered from slight overheating on the track including my overflow tank squirting coolant onto my electrical components. As a solution, I mounted a higher pressure radiator cap and that solved it.
The stock system can handle 1.3 bar with ease, as long as you take care of it and make sure all the hoses and clamps are in good order.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm confused, mine has a TRD 1.3 cap on it, are you saying just changing this is putting my cooling system under more strain than the stock cap?...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

riot68 wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, I'm confused, mine has a TRD 1.3 cap on it, are you saying just changing this is putting my cooling system under more strain than the stock cap?...

Basically, yes. The pressure in the system has to reach a higher level before the cap opens, so every joint, the radiator etc are all subjected to this higher pressure.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, I'm confused, mine has a TRD 1.3 cap on it, are you saying just changing this is putting my cooling system under more strain than the stock cap?...

Swapsies? :wink: I've got a stock cap and need a TRD :mrgreen:
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Magic Beans wrote:

Swapsies? :wink: I've got a stock cap and need a TRD :mrgreen:

I have a stock cap somewhere too in my big left over bit's box :D Dunno what to do really...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”