Alloy radiators - what's the quality like?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

asdrewq

Alloy radiators - what's the quality like?

Post by asdrewq »

My rad (original) is looking a bit crusty these days.

I see there are several alloy radiators available on Ebay for reasonable prices - has anyone fitted one and can comment on the quality? Do they have the correct bleed/drain points, the mount for the sensor, mounting for the stock 2 fan setup?

I'm having a difficult time determining if they are badly made chinese junk or worth a punt.
vtecpower

Re: Alloy radiators - what's the quality like?

Post by vtecpower »

asdrewq wrote:My rad (original) is looking a bit crusty these days.

I see there are several alloy radiators available on Ebay for reasonable prices - has anyone fitted one and can comment on the quality? Do they have the correct bleed/drain points, the mount for the sensor, mounting for the stock 2 fan setup?

I'm having a difficult time determining if they are badly made chinese junk or worth a punt.

i got 1 on my rev2 tubby i think they are good bleeding is the very same minus the clear tube!!

they slightly bigger and thicker and hold a bit water.. i like to think that it keeps my engine cooler when i am booting it :oops:

to be honest stick with your rad until it gives up then go for 1 of these thats the reason i went for mine :thumleft:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I think like most aftermarket parts, if you buy a reputable brand then you're likely to have less fitment issues!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
uglee

Post by uglee »

Various standards of fitment, luck of the draw on that one, but can't be any worse than the pattern replacements that last 3/4 years if you're lucky.
Mishimoto and the Koyo's have conflicting reports, the PWR I have seems excellent quality build wise, but the fit was only so so too.
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

Can you supply some more information on your PWR rad? Where did you buy it? And how should I interpret a so so fitment? Any modifications to the mounting points required?
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

i think the only alloy radiator I'd go for would be the mishimoto one, looks like a quality bit of kit. Aparty from that one, standard toyota would be my choice.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
uglee

Post by uglee »

Glenn_k wrote:Can you supply some more information on your PWR rad? Where did you buy it? And how should I interpret a so so fitment? Any modifications to the mounting points required?

TBH the bottom support bar on the chassis that the radiator sits on was a replacement after mine had been off the road at some point in it's life, so maybe not perfectly aligned at the bottom hence a few problems with the top brackets. It probably does fit fine on original cars.
I had trouble getting the top brackets to sit flush when the rubber pieces were sat on the top. A few washers underneath and it's in and secure.

PWR rads are around £400 AFAIK, not sure where you'd source them but they do have various agents around the world. I got mine 2nd hand off another forum. I think to be honest you'd be fine with an Ebay one, just might have the odd small fitment issue and it should outlast the pattern replacements.
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

Thanks for the info, i'm seriously considering to purchase an Ebay-one but I hear so many different stories about the quality of these (just like Mishimoto).
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

Hi Glenn

I bought one of these:

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1999

A garage fitted it for me, no issues that I'm aware of. I've dibe one track day so far with it and it was fine. From a cooling point of view. Whether I was any quicker because it's lighter than steel who knows ... :)

Marc
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

I'm about to buy a Mishimoto for a different application, so I'm hoping they bloody well fit!! They have a UK office/distribution now
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I bought an ally rad from ebay earlier this year...was around £100, fit perfectly, didn't have a bleed point on it and thats no biggy...but it is a few points off...main thing was the metal is sooooooooo soft, you really really have to be carefull when fitting, I bent mine with my toe!
Glenn_k

Post by Glenn_k »

marcbowden wrote:Hi Glenn

I bought one of these:

http://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/view/ ... -1989-1999

A garage fitted it for me, no issues that I'm aware of. I've dibe one track day so far with it and it was fine. From a cooling point of view. Whether I was any quicker because it's lighter than steel who knows ... :)

Marc

That one looks a lot like the Ebay ones (which is obvious as he is also an Ebay-seller #-o )
Might try this one.
Do you have aftermarket fans + shroud?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Mr2-Ben is a pretty reputable seller of parts both on here and Ebay so better than most sellers on there, you would hope!
Torero

Post by Torero »

I am fitting mine in a month or so when the V6 goes in but I was advised that they will require slimline fan units which can be bought with the radiator £225 in total.

I put a cheeky bid on a rad and fan unit package that was being auctioned by a racing suppliers before I went on hols and a week later I was surprised to find I'd won the lot for £120 delivered.

RESULT :clap:

As I said, I'll update you when it's fitted just in case I've changed my tune.
brgbrm

Post by brgbrm »

I don't have aftermarket fans and shroud, no, the car is generally OEM

Glenn_k wrote:
Do you have aftermarket fans + shroud?
Last edited by brgbrm on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pnicho

Post by pnicho »

I have a mishimoto one which I fitted last year - the engine is a lot cooler now, however the stock fans don't line up correctly onto it (presumably so you buy their kit) however a bit of work with a hacksaw and you can extend two of the brackets enough to make the stock fans fit. Otherwise a quality bit of kit.
bigcw

Post by bigcw »

I've got one of the Stoney Racing ones, complete with their twin fan kit. Can't recommend it (or the company for that matter) any higher. It's spot on.

Chris
MR2 mk2 |Woodsport V6
Audi RS6 Avant |daily drive
Pug 306 Cabrio |3.0 V6 conversion
Ford XR2 |2.0 Zetec on Megasquirt
Ford XR3 |1.8 Zetec
www.locostbuilders.co.uk
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

pnicho wrote:I have a mishimoto one which I fitted last year - the engine is a lot cooler now, however the stock fans don't line up correctly onto it (presumably so you buy their kit) however a bit of work with a hacksaw and you can extend two of the brackets enough to make the stock fans fit. Otherwise a quality bit of kit.

That's good to hear. I've no fans in my car at all at the moment so will probably just buy their matching fan kit at the same time. Thanks!
planted1

Post by planted1 »

Like bigcw,i have a stoney racing alloy rad and twin fans as well,
lovely fit apart from having to trim out the front slam panel to accept the bleed nipple.
Everything else was bang on :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”