[Mk2] [NA] Starting problems

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Scott87

[Mk2] [NA] Starting problems

Post by Scott87 »

As some of you may be aware ive been rebuilding my rev2 mr2. Today i managed to get the car to start but now have some problems.

1. When i start the car it fires up then idles up and down a bit. It then cuts out, not splutters off or dies it';s more like its turning itself off. If i try to hold the revs on it still cuts itself out. Not sure what this could be?

2. The plugs are pretty black, they werent when i put them in but are now. Im assuming all the times cranking before firing drew loads of fuel and stuff into the engine so this should clear once the engine has run a bit. Correct me if i am wrong though.

(I dont think its relevant, but i replaced the fuel pump with a walboro, i assume this is fine as i really dont want to have to change it again!)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Starting problems

Post by toxo »

When cranking the car runs the fuel pump flat out. Once it's started it goes to normal operation. Sounds like your normal operation isn't working!

Have you done anything with the wiring, aside from fitting a larger fuel pump?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Scott87

Post by Scott87 »

Nope all the wiring is the same, not touched that.

It doesnt seem like its the fuel, its more like the key is being turned off. it doesnt splutter at all or cut out slowly, it is very sudden.
Baker

Post by Baker »

afm.
Scott87

Post by Scott87 »

Dont have an afm.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

What are you doing for management then? Rev3 conversion? Standalone?
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Scott87

Post by Scott87 »

It is a mk2 shell that has had all of the bits swapped to rev3 na. Everything is standard, only thing that is different is the fuel pump is aftermarket. But i have tested this and it is supplying fuel.

Return to “Mechanical”