[Mk2] [Generic] Polycarbonate window fitting

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

weeJohn

[Mk2] [Generic] Polycarbonate window fitting

Post by weeJohn »

I have searched through quite a few sections but I cant find any info on this. The car is for track use only so I am not interested in the windows going up or down, but I would prefer them to stay sealed at over a ton.

I was just wondering what people did to secure them in the up position, I have kept the guides from inside the doors to keep them tight against the outer rubber and also the plastic stops, but apart from making a bracket that attaches to the outer door skin to keep the bottom of the window in position I am unsure of what to do.

Any pics or tips would be much appreciated lads.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Polycarbonate window fitting

Post by monkeyra »

When I asked plastics4performance.com the same question, they said their customers used a little hook and bungee rope at the top of the window and hooked it into their rollcage. I'd like to know if there is a better solution as well though tbh.
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
weeJohn

Post by weeJohn »

I have bent the polycarb the same shape as the window, but whether it holds the same way as the glass I wont know until its out on the track. Time will tell I suppose, thanks for the reply.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Let us know how you get on!
weeJohn

Post by weeJohn »

I will do, I will fire a few pics up when its done, providing I dont make a willy of it lol.
weeJohn

Post by weeJohn »

I fitted the passenger side window today, took a while as I had to make up some brackets as well but worked out good in the end. I removed all the window mechanism, the only bit I left in the doors are the guides to keep the glass against the out rubber seal. I made the holes for the bolt and the key longer so if I needed to I could push the window further towards the seal. Here is a pic of the bit I mean

On the glass there are 2 plastic spuds that slot into the above guides to stop the window going up to far, I marked their position off the glass and then slotted the holes up the way to give me more adjustment if I needed. The easiest way I found to position the window was to slot it into the door, close the door and hold it into position. Then I marked a line with a pen on the outside along the outer rubber seal, then I could see the position from inside as well. The window slots looked like this.

I adjusted the glass stoppers into position the made a couple of brackets to hold the window in its up position, they clipped over both sides of the window and were bolted through both sides, then bolted to the inner door frame. Here are the brackets, front bracket first as it needed less of an off set.

Then I just drilled a hole in each of the 2 brackets and bolted them to the door, banged it shut a few times and it seemed to work spot on!! Here is where I bolted the brackets to the door..

All in all it took me about 5 hours to cut the polcarb to shape, heat it in an over and bend it to the shape of the window, make all the brackets and fit it into the door. Considering the polycarb only cost me £20, I think it was time well spent!

This is a trackcar of course, so its all supposed to operate, not fascinate. the window has a good few scratches on it, but I hope not to be looking out the sides to much lol. The brackets are roughly cut but their position means I can cut the rest of the inner door skin off and cover it with a piece of aluminium sheet so the wont be seen. When I do the drivers door I will get it neater, I still want to test this one out on the track.

I have not enough posts to put URL`s in my threads apparently, I hope you can decipher what I have written above to understand what I mean, I can PM the links to anyone who wants them.
Last edited by weeJohn on Mon May 14, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Can you PM me the links? I'll add it for you, keen to see how it fits as my fibreglass doors are now sitting in my garage :whistle:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Yeah- and me, would be go please good to see how you've done it :thumleft:
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

Could you also let us know where you bought the material from? £20 is a lot cheaper then buying it premade, although I'm not sure if I'd have the time, or an oven big enough actually!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Could you not just use a low setting on a heat gun?
weeJohn

Post by weeJohn »

I tried that as well, I cant send them in a PM either. PM me your email address and I will send them to you that way.
ashley

Post by ashley »

One more post on here and you'll have enough to post images ( I think you need 15 posts) :thumleft:
weeJohn

Post by weeJohn »

Worth a go!!

It worked, cheers.
Last edited by weeJohn on Mon May 14, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeJohn

Post by weeJohn »

Could you not just use a low setting on a heat gun?

I doubt it would work, I needed to heat it to 180 degrees C for about 10 minutes to get it to settle properly on the window.

Return to “Modifications”