Stone chip and lacquer repairs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Stone chip and lacquer repairs

Post by Magic Beans »

There's a few small stone chips, dents and lacquer chips on my tubby, which I really want to get repaired.

Can anyone recommend me a good place to go, or am I better waiting until I've got everything I want done and getting a full respray? I want to replace the spoiler with a rev5 unit anyway and the front spillter has seen better days.
Draven

Re: Stone chip and lacquer repairs

Post by Draven »

If you have the money for a full respray and you want a perfect job. I say get everything you want sorted i.e all rust patches sorted and make sure the car is just how you like it then get it sprayed..
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Draven wrote:If you have the money for a full respray and you want a perfect job. I say get everything you want sorted i.e all rust patches sorted and make sure the car is just how you like it then get it sprayed..

I'm also a little concerned about the colour match of the repair compared to 15+ years old paint :-k
Draven

Post by Draven »

Magic Beans wrote:
Draven wrote:If you have the money for a full respray and you want a perfect job. I say get everything you want sorted i.e all rust patches sorted and make sure the car is just how you like it then get it sprayed..

I'm also a little concerned about the colour match of the repair compared to 15+ years old paint :-k

well if you're getting a full respray then colour match won't matter so much

Colour match also depends a lot on the original colour if it is red then you've not got a hope in hell.. but black or dark blue you might be ok.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I was referring mainly to if I got the bits repaired. :)
Draven

Post by Draven »

Magic Beans wrote:I was referring mainly to if I got the bits repaired. :)

Well the second bit of my post applies then :mrgreen:
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Blacks can be very difficult to paint match aswell. A proper respray costs thousands. A decent bodyshop should be able to get a good colour match however old the paint is. If the paints lacquer is beginning to peel its a sign the part has been resprayed before. Mr2 mk2s weren't clear coated from the factory, although I think the sills have some protection on them
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Draven wrote:

I missed that bit :-k :lol:

Caribbean Blue (8B6)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

mattymr2 wrote:Blacks can be very difficult to paint match aswell. A proper respray costs thousands. A decent bodyshop should be able to get a good colour match however old the paint is. If the paints lacquer is beginning to peel its a sign the part has been resprayed before. Mr2 mk2s weren't clear coated from the factory, although I think the sills have some protection on them

It's not peeling, just the victim of road debris and wear and tear really.

Any idea what kind of prices repairs are?
Draven

Post by Draven »

Magic Beans wrote:
Draven wrote:

I missed that bit :-k :lol:

Caribbean Blue (8B6)

Yes they shouldn't struggle to get a colour match although i do believe it is a metallic paint so the fleck may be slightly different but yes a decent bodyshop shouldn't have trouble. :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Do we know of any good bodyshops in the midlands area?
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Magic Beans wrote:Do we know of any good bodyshops in the midlands area?

+1 nest on my list after suspension is a full respray...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Can anyone recommend a good bodyshop in the East Midlands area please?

The paint on my rear bumper has started to flake off, which doesn't look pretty at all :( I'd like to price up the cost of individual repairs against a full body respray.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

If you can find one, cheaper to pick up a decent second hand bumper and swap them...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

riot68 wrote:If you can find one, cheaper to pick up a decent second hand bumper and swap them...

You're right. Although the chances of finding immaculate Caribbean Blue parts these days is pretty slim :( I want the splitter and doors doing too, so we'll have to see what's out there.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

mattymr2 wrote:Blacks can be very difficult to paint match aswell. A proper respray costs thousands. A decent bodyshop should be able to get a good colour match however old the paint is. If the paints lacquer is beginning to peel its a sign the part has been resprayed before. Mr2 mk2s weren't clear coated from the factory, although I think the sills have some protection on them

202 black is easy to colour match as its just black, there are no other colours mixed in with it unlike some blacks.

I have sprayed mine and you cannot see any colour diff between the old and new paint :-)

Just stay away from the canned sprays
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

alanmr2turbo wrote:

202 black is easy to colour match as its just black, there are no other colours mixed in with it unlike some blacks.

I have sprayed mine and you cannot see any colour diff between the old and new paint :-)

Just stay away from the canned sprays

You may be right about 202, but blacks are generally difficult to match. Paints can fade with age so to get a perfect match is hard.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”