Precursor to the sale

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JohnnyC

Precursor to the sale

Post by JohnnyC »

Just a few (well, a lot) of photos showing my history with the Toyota MR2.

First wanted one before I could even drive, and was featured in the first Police Stop video (Post Office robbers used one as a getaway car).

One of the first photos, taken the day after buying it, 23rd of May 2003:

19,846 miles

3 years later, one of the first modifications, Speedhut dials

First 'performance' modification in 2006, Apexi induction kit

Which led to more, Mongoose exhause

Interior in 2007

First attempt at refurbing wheels, 2007

2007, a few days after being serviced by Pentagon Toyota in Barnsley, the sump plug works it's way loose (who'll buy this car now? :mrgreen: seriously, this was nearly FIVE YEARS ago, and the engine hasn't missed a beat since)

On an economy run from Wakefield to Edinburgh (& back) I achieved just under 48mpg :shock:

One of the many many bits replaced on the car, in this photo I didn't like the 'yellow-ing with age' license plate lenses

2008 I fitted Carbotech brake pads, this is the result after just two days

BTW, four years later the same pads are only half worn. If anyone is put off buying these pads due to the high price - don't be, they last forever, almost.

Interior shot

More of the dials, in semi-darkness

Meshed vents & cold air feed (barely visible)

Not many know the sunroof can be removed completely, almost like a convertible :mrgreen:

The solution to brake dust from the Carbotech pads

HUGE suspension overhaul at end of 2008, I mean everything, struts, springs (Eibach), spring cups, top mounts, bushes

End of 2009, 2nd cambelt change, this time changing waterpump, tensioner, pulleys (even new bolts holding them on) - all as a precaution

Safety modification, more brake lights (complete with a single switch to disable inner taillights and inner brakelights)

Summer 2010, now that Eibach springs have settled

Front TRD brace 8)

Latest £176 spent I've to fit shortly (most of cost is front strut gaitors & fuel filter)

And my favourite modification, folding mirrors (which are also heated), video...
http://s545.photobucket.com/albums/hh37 ... irrors.mp4

If I were to keep the car, there are some bad bits that I'd eventually sort out:
The dreaded rear sills, I believe these will be fine for 2-3 years more - but will need sorting. No rust visible, but there's a bubble under paint on one side.
Rear bumper has acquired minor scrapes - the problem here is being able to lose the car for 2-3 days while it gets done as it's a daily driver.

Car was averaging 32mpg (36mpg now as I've found a new route into work), which is pretty reasonable. But due to doing 1200 miles a month I need more economy.
Don't want to go diesel, although it'd suit now, may not in future (may change job, may work from home some days, who knows!).
So in the running is a petrol Honda Civic 1.8 for reliability but only 43mpg or a petrol Mini Cooper with 52mpg but unreliable!!

Reason why this isn't a proper 'for sale' is I think it only fair to have current photos, and I'm waiting on good weather for that ](*,)
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: Precursor to the sale

Post by Charged »

Looked great when you bought it, still looks great today! :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
JayUK91

Post by JayUK91 »

Nice write-up!

Just out of curiosity, how much would one have paid for a 3 year old Rev5 back then?
craig

Post by craig »

Cracking car Johnny. Don't sell her :cry:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

JayUK91 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how much would one have paid for a 3 year old Rev5 back then?

It was £9500 from a Toyota dealership, one lady owner.

RedMR² wrote:Cracking car Johnny. Don't sell her :cry:

Needs must.
Can't justify the costs keeping it as a 2nd car either :cry:

But the next car needs to be 'good' (although it'll never be 'as good' as the '2) so that I don't end up regretting selling.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Just put it in for an MOT today.
For the 11th time in a row, it's passed with nothing needing doing \:D/

Need some photogenic sunshine this weekend though...
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Sunshine at last \:D/

All new photos (except for the 2 interior nighttime shots)...
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=161411

Not sure if it's the right thing to do or not as I work in an uncertain industry, so spending on a new car ain't too clever :-k

Return to “Member Profiles”