A funny thing happened on the way to the post office...

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

HighwayStar

A funny thing happened on the way to the post office...

Post by HighwayStar »

I parked up in a small space behind a mini and went to do a little shop then sat in the 2 writing a few thank you cards that needed posting. The mini then pulled out leaving the space in front free. I then watched two female drivers (the second in a P labelled car) each have three attempts at reversing in. Three woefully bad attempts, pathetic attempts, fail your test on parrallel parking attempts. I ended up having to use the horn on both occasions firstly when I felt the first car got too close to mine and secondly to let the other driver know she was up the kerb her bumper in a hedge and pushing through to rapidly approach a tree!
Anyway after they'd given up a golf pulls alongside (having waited in the single lane queue whilst the others tried) to have a go. I'm slightly cheered by the Nurburgring sticker but then realise he's not gone far enough forward (his rear was several feet behind the parked car in front of me so I know he's not making the best use of the available manouvering space) before he starts reversing.
Anyway sure enough he needs to come too far back and I watch with mounting concern as he gets nearer. I've been hit previously in these spaces 3 times in about 18mths with no note on any occasion. Closer and closer till I estimate he's now just inches away. Finally I give a little toot to let him know I think that's close enough and when I see him looking back in his mirror I hold up my hand with my thumb and index finger a few mill apart to indicate that's about it.
The reaction? He actually got out of his car and shouted at me in the middle of a busy street "Don't f**king bip me". To say I was dumfounded would be an understatement but then I got angry.. but I just stuck my chin out and repeated my earlier gesture with thumb and finger more forceably. He looked at me then looked at the gap then he just got back in to finish parking (and started by moving forward) but this time sent his passenger out and completed in three or four more moves. He then just got out and walked off.
I've been thinking about it and have come to the conclusion it was a funny misunderstanding. Initially I was angry at his suggestion that he could tell me how and when to use my own car. And at his implicit suggestion that he is immune to the judgement of other road users. And at his use of abusive language as a first response... in a public street with children present.
Now I'm just laughing at his misreading of my reactions. My toot did indeed mean that in my judgement he was close enough whatever his view was. My first gesture did actually mean I felt he had no more room regardless of how fast or slowly he can drive around a track in Germany. As far as I know all that is tested is financial ability not talent to do it.
No what I'm amused by is his misunderstanding my repeat of the motion. He took it to mean I was sticking to my guns and confirming he only had millimetres between us but what I actually meant, having just been sworn at and told by someone in no authority what I can and can't do with my own vehicle as well as being told this same person wasn't subject to the same rules as everyone else on the road, was that this was an indication of the exact size I think his xxxxx is.

R.
Ekona

Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the post office...

Post by Ekona »

:wink: :wink: :wink:
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Nur Sticker??? Do people even still put these on cars?
Marlowe

Post by Marlowe »

Um...:D

Afaik most of my friends have theirs on their respective vehicles still. I'm not sure I'll be putting one on the MR2 when I go this year though - they seem so common now that it seems pretty tacky.
andya24

Post by andya24 »

these still make me smile evertime i see one

Boost goes up fuel goes down....thats the way the cookie crumbles my friend!
Draven

Post by Draven »

:thumleft: Yeah just driving round a track doesn't make you a good driver..
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Draven wrote::thumleft: Yeah just driving round a track doesn't make you a good driver..

No, it doesn't. It does though show you've made the effort to get to Mecca. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

reminds me of when i was in high scool and we used to go to tescoes to get our lunch, then eat it in the carpark. So im sitting there munching on a sandwhich when fiesta indicated to try and park in the space diagonally to the right of me, which was next to a trolley park. They tried go forward first, nearly hit the car to the left. Tried again, same result.

Decided to reverse in, nearly hit the trolley park. Tried again, little closer but still near the trolley park. 5th attempt pulls straight into the centre of the space. Dead centre, i was almost impressed. What does the silly woman do? She drive forwards out the space and moves left. Concluding she was too close to the car to the left she pulls back out and moves right. This time she reckons she's too far right. Pulls back out and finds the centre of the bay, 8 attempts later. I would have got out and applauded, but i had food on my lap.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Other driver is clearly a c-nt. Correct use of the horn is to let people know you're there. You did that.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I'm keeping my eye open for him again in town as whatever anybody says I now bitterly regret my decision not to get out and confront him. The g/f thinks I did the right thing.. "he could do anything" and I do see her point but I've called bullies bluffs for over 30yrs (the majority are cowards) and hate myself for not just getting out and saying "Why don't you stop me then... you fat c**t" (thanks to Marf for the most appropriate word).
I hate someone trying to tell me what I can or can't do and it's a principle I'll gladly fight over any day of the week.

R.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

No offence, but that's a hugely childish attitude to have. You'd actually have fought with this guy because he shouted at you because you beeped him? Seriously?

You did the exact right thing. Escalating it would've sunk you to his level.
msherry21

Post by msherry21 »

Lauren wrote:
Draven wrote::thumleft: Yeah just driving round a track doesn't make you a good driver..

No, it doesn't. It does though show you've made the effort to get to Mecca. :+:

+1 :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Ekona... no. I wouldn't have fought with the guy for shouting at me. Nor for swearing at me. However, I wont be told by anybody what I can or can't do whilst I'm acting legally and within my rights and yes I will stand up for those rights. If that meant a fight then in answer to your query then yes I would fight. This is England, he has no authority over me in such a situation and I will not tolerate him trying to exercise any. What if I now threaten you to shut your mouth because I don't like what you're saying? Would you stand for that? Democracy had to be fought for you know and it is still worth fighting for.
As for a bumper sticker proving you've made the effort to get to 'Mecca'... it doesn't. Doesn't prove you've driven it or even visited it. Even if it did so what? Nor is the Nurburgring Mecca as far as I'm concerned.. The only thing the sticker has indicated to me is just how the guy has come up with such an exaggerated view of his own rights on the road. Going to Mecca doesn't make you Mohammad... it definately doesn't make you God.
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

HighwayStar wrote:I'm keeping my eye open for him again in town as whatever anybody says I now bitterly regret my decision not to get out and confront him. The g/f thinks I did the right thing.. "he could do anything" and I do see her point but I've called bullies bluffs for over 30yrs (the majority are cowards) and hate myself for not just getting out and saying "Why don't you stop me then... you fat c**t" (thanks to Marf for the most appropriate word).
I hate someone trying to tell me what I can or can't do and it's a principle I'll gladly fight over any day of the week.

R.

Confrontation should be avoided with anyone behaving in an irate or aggressive manner. I fully empathise with you With regard to your bitter regret for Not confronting him, but I think this particular scenario played out as well as it could for both parties.
Recently I walked away from some drunken idiot who was absolutely determined he was going to fight me, with absoloutely no provocation.He continued to follow me for over 10 minutes trying to encourage a reaction.
The best thing really is to walk away and avoid incident.
I am unfortunate enough to fully understand the consequences just one punch can incur. Sometimes it is worth the knock in pride rather than the alternative. Retrospect is a b1tch but You did the right thing mate. :eye:
excalibur1814

Post by excalibur1814 »

HighwayStar wrote:He looked at me then looked at the gap then he just got back in to finish parking (and started by moving forward) but this time sent his passenger out and completed in three or four more moves. He then just got out and walked off.

...At the point of looking at the gap he probably realised why you beeped and were justified in doing so. In a perfect world he should have quickly eaten humble pie and apologised as you did HIM a favour. Unfortunately, which is usually the case, his pride probably got the better of him and he couldn't POSSIBLY apologise for his conduct!

Either way this is life and it's going to happen more and more as people simply fair to take ANY responsibility for their actions. :clap:

I can, however, appreciate the thought of jamming his head between the small gap between the two cars.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

My wonderful neighbours are the most tallentless vehicle controllers I've ever had the displeasure of observing. It puts me off owning any remotely decent car and is one of the reasons I hang onto my gas guzzling truck, they'd rather bump into other cars than come within half a meter of her bullbars and trailer hitch. :twisted:
AlexD

Post by AlexD »

I do agree with you that the horn was a good prevention of him hitting your car, however I have noticed that people are often quick to anger when they hear a horn, people are always telling others off with use of the horn, so naturally asume they are being sworn at or beeped at to say what xxxx they are (even though this guy sounded like a liability) :lol:

I've been beeped at before for what i consider no real reason and it does seem to boil the blood somewhat :evil:

Must remember to stay calm, everyone in a built up area is miserable, apart from us MR2 drivers of course \:D/

Return to “Driving Experiences”