front end lift....?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jasongtr

front end lift....?

Post by jasongtr »

on a private road this morning i took the car out (its a rev3 turbo) and at some miles per hour im sure i felt the front go a little lighter, now im pretty sure ive read about this before, is there anything i can do (without filling the frunk with sand bags...) will a lower front splitter cure it, ill be honets and say i havent checked if the front bumper undertrays are there if that will make the difference.

any advice?
jasongtr

Re: front end lift....?

Post by jasongtr »

just checked and the front bumper undertrays are there so its not that
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

When I was on a private road doing excessive speed it was a scary experience without front undertrays fitted. Its at speed these really make the difference. Another common issue with mr2s at high speeds is the power steering goes incredibly light which makes it feel even more like the fronts lifting.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

They all feel that way after "some" miles an hour, alignment ok ? that will make difference at speeds. But I'm sure you know this, if you're the same jasongtr :) speedo working ? disconnect PAS and try again ?
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

yes im the same one - back to the fold.

no idea on the alignment tbh, and yes the speedo is working ok, its been converted/delimetered
Harold

Post by Harold »

You can buy the speed flaps from the rev 5 which attach to the bumper in front of the wheels, they're supposed to make the car a bit more stable at speed.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

chees Harold, might have to look into those if the cars a keeper
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

jasongtr wrote:yes im the same one - back to the fold.

no idea on the alignment tbh, and yes the speedo is working ok, its been converted/delimetered

hmm... if it was converted perhaps power steering staying ON to 80mph, rather than 80 km/h ? I'd disconnect and test.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

still on after that though
riot68

Post by riot68 »

Sounds strange but mine used to feel very light at higher speeds, I don't have power steering so not that, however after I had the front wheels balanced and tracked it feels like a different car and not light any more what so ever...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

My rev 1 feels the same I can't seem to get past it just feels really light at speed. It something I really want to get used to if am honest :(

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
Johnr32

Post by Johnr32 »

Sorry to sound a bit nooby but what speed are you guys talking about? My 2 seems perfectly fine when going a bit faster than motorway speeds.
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

I was talking more than double the speed limit. On a private road of course.
John145

Post by John145 »

If undertrays are intact, get the geometry done. Never lost confidence in the front end of my MR2 on track or on the road. Always get good steering build up, one of the things I love compared to a lot of other cars I drive which have no limit handling feedback...
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Mine feels terrible slightly above 70 atm, the fronts seem to just tramline all over the place and the steering feels way too sensitive. Even at low speeds it kinda feels like im fighting the wheel to stop it from kicking over bumps.

I took it for an alignment at wim and it showed as one wheel having lots more toe compared to the other. Still it doesnt seem to have made much of a difference as it feels very sensitive when trying to make lane changes at speed.

I'm wondering if its something to do with the power steering because theres a funny whining noise coming from the front of the car that occurs when driving for a while
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Harold wrote:You can buy the speed flaps from the rev 5 which attach to the bumper in front of the wheels, they're supposed to make the car a bit more stable at speed.

They may work, as my rev5 felt completely stable at an indicated 135mph (speed gun said 125mph :mrgreen: ).
I was gripping onto the steering wheel though and was praying that I didn't have to slam on the brakes at that speed :pale:

Before you all complain, it was on an RAF runway :thumleft:
oteck

Post by oteck »

a bigger lip may help, also is the car lowered?
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

mine is lowered with a std rev3 front lip, im going to get it on my ramp in the next few days and check everything over, i have a full set of ball joints from my previous encounters with mr2's so i could change them, but to be honest if im going to do any work like that ill go the whole hog and change the rack tie rods and ends and poly bush it (might as well as it will be up in the air)
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

mine is the same very very light at the indicated 163 mph(autobahn)

heard that installing the border bonnet and the border rad relocation kit helps by pushing down on the bonnet as it passes through (not sure if it actually does or not) 8-[
Nails

Post by Nails »

My border fronted rev2 then the next rev2 with an aeroware front lip was fine but my rev 3 has a standard front bumper and you can feel the lft with at speed.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”