Tyre profile difference ?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BLZ-8027

Tyre profile difference ?

Post by BLZ-8027 »

I'm planning on putting the rear wheels from my 2000 model onto the front ,and fitting face-lift rears ,this means the front tyre profile will be 55 and the rears 45 ,

I will finish up with ,fronts 205/55/15 rears 225/45/16,

good or bad plan ? shall i just stick with standard face-lift sizes?

Reason i was planning this is to get a slightly wider fitment, to tie in more with the body-kit thats fitted ,

or do i sell both sets of alloys ,and buy some aftermarket wider wheels?
any pointers
rbuckingham

Re: Tyre profile difference ?

Post by rbuckingham »

BLZ-8027 wrote:I'm planning on putting the rear wheels from my 2000 model onto the front ,and fitting face-lift rears ,this means the front tyre profile will be 55 and the rears 45 ,

Reason i was planning this is to get a slightly wider fitment, to tie in more with the body-kit thats fitted ,

any pointers

widths are fine but the rolling radius between the 2 sizes is to great so you will need to adjust one of the sizes so the rolling radius matchs.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

rbuckingham wrote:
BLZ-8027 wrote:I'm planning on putting the rear wheels from my 2000 model onto the front ,and fitting face-lift rears ,this means the front tyre profile will be 55 and the rears 45 ,

any pointers

widths are fine but the rolling radius between the 2 sizes is to great so you will need to adjust one of the sizes so the rolling radius matchs.

what do you suggest ,a lower profile on the front?
rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham »

yep that or you can increase the rear tyre profile, but might look a little less 4x4 with reducing the front. 5% should be enough.
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

Thanks im just utilizing the tyres i have at present ,what will the difference i quoted effect ?
rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham »

basically the rear wheels will be doing 1.1 turns to the fronts one turn. this at speed can unballance a car. its one of those things like stagger. sometimes you can ignore it and might be ok sometimes you might find yourself in a hedge backwards. for me i like to play it safe so i always keep the stagger and rolling radius the same no matter what.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

FWIW I'm running Advan Neovas - 195/50 on the front, 225/45s on the rear with post facelift alloys.

That gives a slightly understeery balance to the car on the limit, and the taller rear tyres give a noticeably 'longer' gearing. Other than that, there are no issues with this setup ( eg ABS ECU )

Next set of Tyres will be the newer Advan Nevova AD08's, but I need to check the sizes they're available in ...

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”