MR2 MK2 Anniversary restore, refresh &tasteful modification - project begins

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RikH77

Re: MR2 MK2 Anniversary restore, refresh &tasteful modification - project begins

Post by RikH77 »

what sidelight bulbs you running

did you get the units new - could you link me if you did

cheers
craig

Re: MR2 MK2 Anniversary restore, refresh &tasteful modification - project begins

Post by craig »

All coming together nicely! :thumleft:
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Looking good, got to say I much prefer the car being the whole silver cover like your doing, instead of split colouring of the original. :thumleft:

Will keep an eye on this thread. :)
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

cheers Guys, hoping to fit the new speakers next week and get the door cards on, just waiting for some speaker adaptors to come in the post :)

Hi Rik - got the sidelights units from a show buy you can buy them on ebay, mine are made by a company called "AutoArt". The led bulbs I got from Craig at the led-depot. :thumleft:
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

cheers mate - havent taken sidelight unit apart - are they 501 wedge bulbs
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Well, a small update. Not had much time to rebuild the MR2 as just been busy...

Sure when it is warmer I will get the pace back on :)

I sourced a set of front and back cusco strut braces, which have been stripped and re-powder-coated in black with a metallic flick. the X brace is done to match but the rears are not fitted yet as the engine bay will be my last task. Well a tidy up as I plan to swap the lump.

Interior is almost finished. New leather door card inserts fitted with new alpines hidden behind. Drivers is still to go on but need to pump some more wax oil in. It is amazing how many little parts I have been buying to get it right, little clips, new door bezels and screws from MR T.

Once my Rev 5 spoiler is back from paint and then re-fitted the outside is done bar fitting some genuine mud-flaps. I have a few exterior changes planned next year but will wait and see as not sure.

The big task, suspension, brakes, underside and exhuast.....

Hope you like the progress

:thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

Nice updates matey, great thread! :clap:
W88NEE

Post by W88NEE »

Seconded, enjoying the thread. Our cars are going to look identical being anniversary, rev5 spoiler and turbo lid. Well done.
Was MR2Turbo1991, but now changed name.

5SGTE Forged Build 2011/12
Build Thread: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... nniversary
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

RedMR² wrote:Nice updates matey, great thread! :clap:

cheers red :thumleft:
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

MR2Turbo1991 wrote:Seconded, enjoying the thread. Our cars are going to look identical being anniversary, rev5 spoiler and turbo lid. Well done.

Cheers mate, great minds think alike :thumleft: how are you getting on with yours?
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Just a Small update but no pics, sorry

Making small progress, fitted a replacement oem electric aerial as the original was sticking, had a new windscreen seal fitted and stripped all the brakes and suspension off ready for the new stuff to go on once I have detailed the underside. So it currently looks like a floating car from the future

Had to get a replacement centre panel for the lights as found mine has been damaged which I didn't realise so this is in for paint.

Decided to sell my genuine Toms strut braces and put the funds towards the turbo engine I am planning. They are spare if they sell it would be good but if not back in store they go.

That's it for now
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Hello All!!!

Ok, small update, progress is slow but lots going on...

I have built up my suspension ready to go one once the underside is detailed. Black bilsteins with lowered springs and tein top mounts front and back. The springs and top covers have been powder-coated up with the struts getting a lick of paint. New gaiters and bump stops by powerflex to finish off.

Picked up my genuine Rev 5 spoiler, fitted it today and very happy. One slight mark on the end cap near the blade due to my transporting it back but I might get it touched up in the future if any other bits need attention.

I also started painting the under which is going to be a long job. Arch painted a few brackets but million little bits so this is just scratching the surface of the underside painting.

Anyway... hope you like... :)

GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Little update... bits coming off and bits going on :)

After much thinking I decided to keep my Toms braces, so instead of sticking them back in storage they are off to the powder coaters to get finished in the same gloss metallic black the Cusco front and rears done in a few months ago, so the Cusco ones are up for sale.

Also having the spare wheel done to match as had this separated today.

This is what the braces look like now, will post picks when back from powder-coat.

Small details..... :thumleft:

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Loving your work :thumleft: There's some fantastic builds going on right on.

How much was the spoiler re-spray? PM me if you want :thumleft:
gtinash

Post by gtinash »

Great work, loving the progress
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Magic Beans wrote:Loving your work :thumleft: There's some fantastic builds going on right on.

Cheers matey :thumleft:

The cost of the spray of the spoiler was in the price when I had it painted, Not sure at a guess you would pay. How's yours getting on?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GT-Thunder wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Loving your work :thumleft: There's some fantastic builds going on right on.

Cheers matey :thumleft:

The cost of the spray of the spoiler was in the price when I had it painted, Not sure at a guess you would pay. How's yours getting on?

Pretty good thanks. Still waiting that elusive spoiler though. A few things due this week, some next week, more the week after. :-#

Looking forward to see this build progress :thumleft:
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

Well small update folks!!

Task after task but it is making progress :)

Suspension is all on now with nice new drop links, the whole underside has been wax oiled and arch lips the lot. torsion bars, wishbones, discs stoneguards all painted up. Archliners back in

Toms braces are back from powdercoat, only fitted the front as waiting on the engine bay componunts to tidy it up for the show season. I am not going mad on this engine as I plan to change it in my quest for power but would like it nice 8)

New clear headlights to freshen the look, front fogs refitted with the outside plastics painted up in gloss black using plastic paint. They came up great and look new which is what I want.

Genuine Toyota Mud flaps on all round, now I could have bolted on them on but decided to rub them back and use special bumper plastic paint to give the factory fresh look. Worth doing if your going to do it right. The paint is made by hycote.

Zinc coated grooved discs all round with mintex pads, I took advice from a friend and avoided drilled discs and also got some advice from a member on here running the same set-up which ticked the boxes. Minimal wear and low brake dust as don't want to mess my wheels up :lol:

Any way time for a beer :thumleft:

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I really like this car. You're doing an excellent job :thumleft:

Hopefully I'll see it in the flesh one day :)
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Truly stunning effort mate. You really will have a special car when your finished. :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”