Just a quick Hello

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MR2 Rich

Just a quick Hello

Post by MR2 Rich »

Hi there everyone. My names Rich from north yorkshire and have just joined because in the next few months I will be getting myself an Mr2 Mk2 n/a and I'm sure there will be a few questions along the way. Have been reading up on a few sites but this one seems the best I have come across with some excellent guides to how to buy an Mr2 and how to maintain it.

I will be looking for a nice Rev3 or later UK model for around 1500 to 2000 which looking on the usual sites should be enough but as always with a car of this age you have to be careful. I will be getting the premium membership when I get the car and hopefully will take it to a few shows.

:D
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: Just a quick Hello

Post by Charged »

Welcome along Rich, worth keeping your eye on our Mr2s forsale section as well :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
andya24

Post by andya24 »

Hi mate,welcome
where in north yorks are you from?
Boost goes up fuel goes down....thats the way the cookie crumbles my friend!
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

I'm in harrogate mate.

Thanks charged have been having a look in there would prefer to buy a car thats owned by a member of a club so will keep looking in that section.

Regarding servicing, I can do all the basic service items but things like the clutch and cambelt which from reading seem to be quite a bu88er to do on these where would be recommended dont mind abit of travelling?

Have looked at parts and found camskill and TCB for new bits and mrtwos for second hand stuff is anywhere else recommended?
andya24

Post by andya24 »

peter gidden is about half an hour or so from you mate,he is my personal choice for anything to do with my car round here,he is on here "sbits"
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Thanks Andy, I had noticed him on here will give him a shout when I need any work doing. I'm 25 in a few months and my insurance will pretty much half so I'm in no hurry to get one. If I was to find a nice one I can put it in my garage until then but I don't think I could not drive it so will see if anything comes up for sale.
The only thing I am worried about is I'm 6 foot 4 and I haven't been in one for years so I hope it won't be too snug in there. If it has alot of legroom I will be ok.

While having a look at whats for sale I found this;

270938899139 ebay number. I can't post web pages yet!

If its in good condition is that about what they are worth?
andya24

Post by andya24 »

that looks quite tidy actually.as to what its worth im unsure,there are however members on here that own some of the other cars from this run of ltd editions who would be able to point you in a better direction,insurance wise im 24 coming up 25 and pay roughly 800 fc for my turbo so depending how financially set you are its not crippling,if insurance was putting you of looking at a turbo,my advice would be dont let it,like anything shop around and you will get the correct cover for the right money
andya24

Post by andya24 »

craig

Post by craig »

Welcome mate! :D
riot68

Post by riot68 »

hulloooo, good luck with the purchase...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com
nickg07

Post by nickg07 »

make sure you look it over properly and have a proper drive before you buy. listen for any bumps or knocking from the suspension as it can hit you pretty quickly in the wallet department. rust on the sills and arches especially the rear is a pain too.
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Cheers for all the replies. Will definately take a check list with me when I go look at one because too many times I have let my heart rule my head when it comes to cars so I want to get this one right. I have always bought cars in the past because I have needed one quickly so have often rushed in but this time it's a second car because I have my van for work so can take my time and find the right one hopefully.

I've got to page 83 on the mk2 Mr2 forum only got to get to 406!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”